Ok, I am customizing an epiphone flying V, this is my first guitar to ever customize so I know nothing. I PLAY A LOT OF METAL (Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth etc), I want a sound that has the heaviest distortion ever but also has a pretty good clean sound. I need suggestions on pickups, paintjob, pickguard, bridge (I want a floyd rose type but I don't know where to find one or what kind is good), and I need some help on figuring out how to remove the tone knob so its always on 10 but keep the volume knob. Here are some pics of ny piece of poop. Also is there anyway to switch the inlays to something else, like sharkfins or the randy rhodes inlays or something? Please help me, thanks in advance.

“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Switching inlay's should be done by a pro.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Suggestions...

1. Get rid of the pickguard.
2. Put some EMG's in, probably 81/60
3. New inlays
4. Paint it up

To get new inlays I see 4 options open to you...

1 - Buy a new neck + headstock to your liking
2 - Buy a new fretted fretboard with inlays you like
3 - Buy a new unfretted fretboard with inlays you like then fret it yourself
4 - Make yourself some new inlays (dunno if you can do this well)

I'd say paint it red and keep the black hardware
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Go with an EMG 81/60 combo for pickups. Sounds amazingly beautiful for metal, and despite what people say, EMGs actually have pretty good cleans. Why do you want to get ride of the tone knob? It's not worth the trouble when you can just leave the tone at 10.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by Frostithe
Suggestions...

1. Get rid of the pickguard.
2. Put some EMG's in, probably 81/60
3. New inlays
4. Paint it up

To get new inlays I see 4 options open to you...

1 - Buy a new neck + headstock to your liking
2 - Buy a new fretted fretboard with inlays you like
3 - Buy a new unfretted fretboard with inlays you like then fret it yourself
4 - Make yourself some new inlays (dunno if you can do this well)

I'd say paint it red and keep the black hardware

How do I know what neck will fit on my guitar? I am looking necks up on ebay.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^EMG cleans just suck. They do.

And there's an inlay tutorial at www.projectguitar.com/

Because you're the all-knowing, right pink? Gah.
What do you guys suggest as for paint? I am thinking about getting a mirror or diamond plate pickguard, my dad's friend owns a lazer thing and can make me one for free.
Last edited by Pants99 at May 26, 2006,
use ultra voilet paint, then put a Black light Led's between the pickups

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by Pants99
What do you guys suggest as for paint? I am thinking about getting a mirror or diamond plate pickguard, my dad's friend owns a lazer thing and can make me one for free.

Meh, I would just repaint it black. No use in thinking up a new color for it. I mean, nothing really goes good with Diamond Plate color-wise besides black. Looks metal enough. If you want to be original, maybe try purple?
all you have to do to get rid of the tone knob is cut the wire, thats what i did
the thing is that the tone knob can only make your tone bass-ier, because when it is in the 10 position, it is the natural sign
i cant really explain this but yeah, just get rid of the pot and clip the wire
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
What kind of bridge should I get that would fit my guitar? I can't find any original floyd roses and I dont even know if one will fit. It used to have a floyd rose liscenced but it was old and it broke so I took it off. Would a Kahler work? And what are the prices of these bridges? If you want to see pics of the bridge that was on it before search epiphone flying V, that was my last thread on this guitar and I have different pics of it.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^EMG cleans just suck. They do.

And there's an inlay tutorial at www.projectguitar.com/

Im guessing you have never heard the EMG 60?
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30