Have any of you guys got any tone tips that will help me sound great tomorrow night? I'm playing an Ibanez RG1570 through a Keeley Metal Zone, a Boss EQ, a Big Muff, a Boss Delay and a Crybaby... Especially in relation to distortion! It is the only effect I strive to perfect. Cheers in advance,

Ben Wojciechowski
Always keep this in mind: Don't scoop the mids.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Unfortunately, my mids sound terrible (especially on the Keeley mt-2)... Could you recommend some high mid settings for it, that would still allow me a flaming lead tone?
Quote by gimme_shelter
Unfortunately, my mids sound terrible (especially on the Keeley mt-2)... Could you recommend some high mid settings for it, that would still allow me a flaming lead tone?

Judging from what you posted, what strand of Metal do you play?
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
I don't play in a Metal band, but my lead tone certainly is that of a Metal guitarist
Or i would like it to be...

The leads I play... Mainly legato, tapping, string bending... It requires sustain and saturation, but i'm the only guitarist and i still dont cut through with my current settings!
Could you help?
Quote by gimme_shelter
I don't play in a Metal band, but my lead tone certainly is that of a Metal guitarist
Or i would like it to be...

The leads I play... Mainly legato, tapping, string bending... It requires sustain and saturation, but i'm the only guitarist and i still dont cut through with my current settings!
Could you help?

You need mids ro cut through. Guitar is a midrange instrument.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
I have a similar problem, im looking for a shred tone with a metal zone, with high mids though, HELP
the audience never notices tone and you can get by with medicore tone. (not that you want to or should try it).
What guitar are you using? Amp?

Try playing straight into your amp....EQ as best as possible. Then, add your pedals, and adjust from there.

Do you use the big muff? If not, I would get it out of the chain, just to preserve your signal!

Otherwise, have fun and good luck!
overwhelm your audience with volume.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Only use the pedals you NEED.

Don't scoop your amp. It won't mix w/ the rest of the band and it sounds like a butt to the audience.
haha
Aother Important thing for tone!!! Cable lenght and quality. In short the longer your cable, the more resistance on oyur signal, shoter cables = beter tone, Better qaulity cables = Better tone. Ivest a few bucks in buyin the extra expensive ultra shielded heavy gauge cable and your tone WILL improe, i suggets staying unser 30' of total cable, and dont skimp out on pedal patch chords, they will degrade tone faster than digital effects (yes i hate digitial) also better components will deliver better tone, dont skimp on a 25$ made in japan whatever pedal cus its all you can aford....save and buy the good ol made in usa 15$ more pedal and get a tone bonus there too
Another big thing thats a problem for me is messing with my setup when im not playing with my band. Ill get it set so that it sounds nice by itself, and then 9 times out of 10, itll sound either horrible or covered up when i play with my band.
If you get a sound check, use that time to adjust everything.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
I agree with the fingers thing. But seriously, find a good signal path for your pedals because that's probably the best you can do at this point, considering you're probably not gonna go out and buy tons of Monster Cables.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by SGKIDD
Aother Important thing for tone!!! Cable lenght and quality. In short the longer your cable, the more resistance on oyur signal, shoter cables = beter tone, Better qaulity cables = Better tone. Ivest a few bucks in buyin the extra expensive ultra shielded heavy gauge cable and your tone WILL improe, i suggets staying unser 30' of total cable, and dont skimp out on pedal patch chords, they will degrade tone faster than digital effects (yes i hate digitial) also better components will deliver better tone, dont skimp on a 25$ made in japan whatever pedal cus its all you can aford....save and buy the good ol made in usa 15$ more pedal and get a tone bonus there too

Depends on what tone you want. Hendrix's tone depended on using a high capacitance curly cable to bleed treble. I personally prefer a curly cable BY FAR.

And there's one vital thing, SOUND CHECK! Get someone else to play your guitar while you go into the audience area and tweak from there.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Hey guys, kind of unrelated, but... hte Keeley mods dont seems to be getting very good press in here. Everywhere else I read they are praised and the MT2 is supposed to be the best distortion pedal around (if you didnt mind the original sound too much)

So is it worth shipping one in for $180?

About the tone, like someone said, you seem to have alot of pedals that you hardly need. Is delay that neccesary, or a special pedal for it? Anyway, truth is, audiences really dont notice much tone besides okay and terrible, so if you arent terrible its going to be okay. Well thats at metal shows at least, if you play jazz, blues, mildish rock, think again.
I'm going to be playing through a Peavey Classic 50... Can anyone help with the High Mids thing? My cleans sound real fine, the only problem is the distortion!

I have removed the Phaser and the Crybaby, both of which I can live without. What order should the rest go in?

EQ-Big Muff-Metal Zone-Chorus-Delay?
Last edited by gimme_shelter at May 27, 2006,
The Big Muff is usually the LAST in my chain, as I feel it really dampens any other effects you use with it.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
What sounds good in your bedroom won't sound good in the gig. What sounded good in the gig will sound terrible when you bring it back to your bedroom.

You'll be cranking the amp, so turn down the gain a little, otherwise it'll sound muddy. Mids are key here. Don't use too much treble or you sound bad. Don't use so much bass that your speakers rumble.

Nice name , sounds Polish. It must be fun to see how people pronounce it .
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yeah, it is Polish! Unfortunately, the mids provided by my Keeley sound horrible... I have got some decent sounds of out it though! By maxing everything, then using the EQ to boost mids. I've heard this sucks tone though, is that true? What are your personal amp/distortion settings?
Hmmm i think you would be much better off not using the metal zone and using your amps own distortion. Im not sure how heavy a peavey classic will get, but overdriving the tubes will sound 328473874 times better than using a metal zone. So my recommendation, is to take the metal zone out completely, and if you still need more gain, getting an overdrive.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...
If the venue can handle it, turn your amp up. The louder the better (with tube amps).
dont have your bass too high, the bass player will provide most of the low end
dont have your treble too high, the drummers cymbals will provide alot of the high end
dont have your bass and treble too low though
demand a proper sound check
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Inertiaaa: I have to put my distortion pedal last in my chain, too. I run a DL-4 and OD-20 to my amp, not using my FX loop and if I put my DL-4 after the OD-20, the delay is almost non-existant and it sounds super muddy.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by JET116
the audience never notices tone and you can get by with medicore tone. (not that you want to or should try it).

That's a good point. I was gonna say something similar. Your want your tone at its best, but its not something you should stress over b/c 99% of your audience wont notice it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...