Please give me a detailed description of how you believe a band manager should be. Tell me specifics on the contributions they should make and actions they should take.
Thanks.
They should take care of everything that isn't music related - like transportation, monies, booking gigs, advertising and promoting and basically leave the band to write and perform their music.
My bands split manager duties. In one band in particular, my rhythm guitarist is an extremely dedicated promoter. My other band has tried a few managers, but they've all been rather irresponsible so we have taken control.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
They should take care of everything that isn't music related - like transportation, monies, booking gigs, advertising and promoting and basically leave the band to write and perform their music.

And on top of that, they have to be responsible, reliable, honest, have good people skills and be a good negotiator. A good manager is often the key to success in the music industry.
Managers DO NOT book gigs. That's a booking agent. Managers will only book gigs if the band is small and in a small area. It's actually illegal in Cali and NYC for managers to book gigs because of strict entertianment laws.

Some books you should check out are:

The Business of Music: Artist Management
Managing Artists in Pop Music
Managing your Band

The key part of a manager is to keep the band organized by getting together press kits, promotion teams, photo shoots, interviews, etc. Connections are a big part and more importantly, TRUST. Big artists usually have managers for different parts such as Road Managers, Business, Personal. A business managers will often be a CPA. Of course, you don't have to worry about this if you are just a local artist.

I don't believe a band needs a manager unless they are all inprofient when it comes to business or don't have the resources to achieve their goals. However almost all successful artists have a manager at some point.

Motivating your client as a manager is also needed. Every manager should have some knowledge of the business. I've seen bands with "managers" who in reality, were just someone's girlfriend who printed out set-lists on their computer and called a few places in the phone book.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
i am a partner/co-founder or whatever you wanna call it of a small independant record label, (we started off as a way to promote our bands music but have expanded to other bands aswell for more money for gear) basically, i am in charge of the management sides of the bands, i make sure the band rehearse regularly, i promote them (including maintaining their website), i make sure that them and all of their gear will get to the gig and on time, i gather together all the press exposure they get, i am lucky enough to have a couple of contacts with local radio stations so i get the bands airtime there are lots of other things i do aswel, mostly to increase the bands productivity. Our label then has a booking agent/recording man who deals with the studio and books all the gigs. We also have an accountant type guy. O yeah and im also the live sound engineer/technician lol.
Quote by thesumoftwo
i am a partner/co-founder or whatever you wanna call it of a small independant record label, (we started off as a way to promote our bands music but have expanded to other bands aswell for more money for gear) basically, i am in charge of the management sides of the bands, i make sure the band rehearse regularly, i promote them (including maintaining their website), i make sure that them and all of their gear will get to the gig and on time, i gather together all the press exposure they get, i am lucky enough to have a couple of contacts with local radio stations so i get the bands airtime there are lots of other things i do aswel, mostly to increase the bands productivity. Our label then has a booking agent/recording man who deals with the studio and books all the gigs. We also have an accountant type guy. O yeah and im also the live sound engineer/technician lol.

Please tell me you're based in the UK.....
i know a few contacts that do gigs around near where i live...near manchester....if you are looking for any gigs round here i could probably help you out...

i think my band also have a c few people on myspace that are looking for bands all over the country...

if you dont have myspace for your band...get one...it really helps getting gigs etc..
Quote by quinny1089
i know a few contacts that do gigs around near where i live...near manchester....if you are looking for any gigs round here i could probably help you out...

i think my band also have a c few people on myspace that are looking for bands all over the country...

if you dont have myspace for your band...get one...it really helps getting gigs etc..

i love myspace, it helps getting shows so much
managers should do everything they legally can to promote and raise awareness of the band, as well as work with the band to motivate and organize them. basically, your manager should be like a really really proud mom, simultaneously pushing you to do better, all the while yelling across the neighborhood "look at my boys! they're so wonderful!"

they should also be paid on scale. no money for the band, no money for the manager. some people think it's lame to have to pay for management, but think of it this way:

would you rather have 100% of $100, or 80% of $500...?

but don't get a manager until your band already has it's **** together. You need to have a good product for the guy to promote, so dont' be getting representation the same day you hire your bassist. wait until the time is right