alright, i might not make any sense, but ill try

so i was just at my guitar lesson, and my teacher mentioned how he already knew the formulas for modes before he knew what they were

so he used the example, in C major, if you take like D major or something, you can somehow figure out that there's a flat 2, 3, 6, and 7

does anybody have any idea what im talking about?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Last edited by EZLN libertad at May 26, 2006,
he's likely just working backwards. C comes before D so...
it's all patterns. but i cannot actually explain it.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Not particularly, perhaps I'm reading it wrong.

If you're in D major, but you use C major, you could use D Dorian, which has a flat three and 7. I don't know if that's what you mean.
Yeah. Modes are diatonic scales (like major and minor) but starting on different notes.
This is a run through, all in intervals of the root of the major scale.
Aeolian (Major): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian: 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
Phrygian: 3 4 5 6 7 1 2
Lydian: 4 5 6 7 1 2 3
Mixolydian: 5 6 7 1 2 3 4
Ionian (Minor): 6 7 1 2 3 4 5
Locrian: 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
Major again.
I'm not sure what you mean but on guitar it really doesn't matter about the actual notes and their relative name to the key because you can use your good old patterns. If you are in the key of C major and you play a scale using the C major pattern but start it on a D note you will be using that relative mode (sorry I forgot the names except for Aeolian and that is just the root chord's scale) You can just play that same C major scale pattern for any note in the and it will be a mode.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Yeah. Modes are diatonic scales (like major and minor) but starting on different notes.
This is a run through, all in intervals of the root of the major scale.
Aeolian (Major): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian: 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
Phrygian: 3 4 5 6 7 1 2
Lydian: 4 5 6 7 1 2 3
Mixolydian: 5 6 7 1 2 3 4
Ionian (Minor): 6 7 1 2 3 4 5
Locrian: 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
Major again.

Umm I'm pretty sure that the first mode (major) is Ionian and the minor is Aeolian
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by S0ulja23
Umm I'm pretty sure that the first mode (major) is Ionian and the minor is Aeolian

that's what I meant. Good catch!
Here's that formula list...

Major/Ionian = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (from whole-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half)
Dorian = 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian = 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian = 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian = 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian (aka natural minor) = 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian = 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

If you want D dorian, find D major FIRST, then apply the formula... if you want Ab locrian, find Ab major FIRST then apply the forumla...

examples:
D Dorian... D major = D E F# G A B C#... dorian = 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7... D dorian = D E F G A B C.

That's the basic way to get all the modes of all the keys... there are multiple ways, but memorizing the forumlas I think are easiest.

Post all questions regarding this matter here. Don't make a new thread.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
yeah, i know what modes are, ive known that, but im in the process of getting it completely branded in my brain, and he mentioned something to help do that, i cant remember what though, if any of you have any suggestions feel free to say em
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.