Alright, here is my problem. I have been playing the guitar for right at 5 months and, it was going great for the first 3.5 months. Then all of a sudden I stopped getting any better and, nothing so fra has helped me any. Anytime I try to learn something I fail at it . Does anyone know what my problem is? And can anyone suggest a song to learn that might help me get out of this rut?
Learn different things. Have you been focusing on technique? Learn theory. Have you been focusing on theory? Learn technique. Have you been training your ears? If not, get transcribing!

The way I see it, there are three core functions for musicianship: Brain, fingers and ears. All 3 need to be trained in order to be a good guitarist. Training the brain revolves a lot around theory, training the ears revolves a lot around finding your sound, and determining what sounds good, and training the fingers means that you can play what you want. Once all three components are trained, you can take the melody that you conjure up in your brain, run it through your ears to get an idea of how it should be played, and then put it out your fingers onto the guitar. At least, this is my approach.

You've probably been focusing a lot on one, or maybe two of these areas. Try switching it up, it usually makes a big difference.
I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!

Just because you can do something does not mean you should.
damn scott very well put i cnat top that but i can enforce that you do need to focus on all aspects to be a good guitarist/musician not just playing tabs
I tryed to learn theory but, none of it makes any sense to me. When I practice I usually just end up playing chords or running through the penatonic scale or playing a tab. I really need a set list of what to practice.
Try getting some backing tracks and improvising to them. Thats great fun, and you can get real good at your scales. Also try learning a few other scales, like Minor or Blues or maybe a mode or two.
Okay here is what to do:

Pick a really obsqure (excuse spelling) scale (e.g. Hungarian Minor / Hirojoshi etc.) then play about with it. I know this sounds really simple, but I assure you, if you ever get 'stuck in a rut' this will really help you. Once you've got a rough idea of what the scale sounds like, combine your new found scale with a technique. So for example, let's try tapping the 'E' Hungarian Minor on the 'e' string. Here are the frets:

e: 0,2,3,6,7,8,9,11,12,14,15, 18 etc. etc.

So once you've got some tapping going you'll have got a better idea of the scale and what notes sound good after each other. Now strum a few Em chords (or if you're really bored some Em-b6ths (032000 - EADGBe) now slowly solo. Once you've had enough of that, start tapping. Then strum some minor chords then play an outro using the same scale...

Once you've done all that, you'll probablly feel better about playing, and if not... well you'll have learnt a cool scale!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Now i bet people are gonna stick "i remember when comeback road diead" in their sigs
Sorry to double post...

If you arn't up to soloing / tapping or any of the above - learnt it! Because if you havn't of course you're stuck in a rut!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Now i bet people are gonna stick "i remember when comeback road diead" in their sigs
When im stuck in a rut, i just chage the type of music i play
eg i normally play alot of death metal type music, recently ive found that i havent been improving so i started playing some classical stuff, once i got stuck on that moved back to playing metal, then learnt some scales for a few days, did some fingering picking, right now im learning some more chord based songs, etc. basically just mix it up.
Quote by ScottZ
Learn different things. Have you been focusing on technique? Learn theory. Have you been focusing on theory? Learn technique. Have you been training your ears? If not, get transcribing!

Agreed. Jamming with other musicians will also help expose you to other genres, and will get you learning new songs to play.
My mind is not for sale or rent to any god or government. (Seen on a bumper sticker)

My Flickr album, updated as the free account upload quota permits.