G'day.

I bought a TSL100 a week ago after selling my Triple Rectifier. The main reason I did it was that the TSL has a serial FX Loop, and the TSL is much easier to use.

I like the amp but I just can't seem to get a really thick sustaining distortion out of it. I tried putting a Metal Zone in front of it and it worked nicely but it sucks a lot of tone and you get that annoying buzzy sound when you play higher notes. Now I'm trying a Tube Screamer in front set with the Volume up and Gain down, and it does help but not quite what I want.

I know bands like Trivium and Hatebreed use these amps, and a guy who works for Marshall Australia told me that they lent Hatebreed two TSL100's for their latest tour and that they used rackmounted distortion and EQ units to enhance their sound.

If anyone could tell me how they achieve a nice metal sound out of their TSL's I would appreciate it or if anyone knows of any Rackmounted Distortion or EQ units I could try.

Thanks heaps doods,

Chris
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez AX
TSL100
Mesa 4x12
TC Electronic G-Major
TS9 Tube Screamer
Crybaby Wah
lol im not really sure which petal to use, but yesterday my friend brought over a death metal pedal and with both the pedal and amp cranked i had sick sustain. it was all good except there was way too much feedback lol.
you can try using different tubes too. i got the high gain set of jj's at eurotubes.com for my tsl and it really helped my tone. the bass and gain was way better than before.
JAMONE
what settings are you using on the amp?

what guitar, and what pickups is it loaded with?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looking at your gear. . .

I would invest in a pair of nice pickups first. Stock Ibanez pups never cut it, unless you're buying the premium grade ones with real DiMarzio's. So yeah, new pups, preferably botique-ish pups, but if your budget doesn't all it ( you did have a Triple Rect. . . ), there are some good DiMarzio's and SD's out there.

Next would be a great OD pedal. A regular old TS9 won't do metal as well as a Xotic AC/BB OD would. Do a search on UG - there was a nice long OD thread.
I dont get how the TSL doesnt have enough gain...? It should have more gain then youll ever need...

what are your setting? ie. lows, mids, high, presence, gain, volume...??
^ yeah, and they have even less gain than the TSL's.

I'm assuming he's doing something wrong. Something in his signal chain is broken, he's using extremely low volume (and it sounded metal to me at low volumes, but my taste for gain has gone WAY down recently for some reason), or he's dialling it in wrongly.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replys

Pickups are fine - EMG81.

Don't get me wrong fella's i'm not a newbie, I know how to plug my gear in and set my amp settings. My taste for a fine metal sound might be a bit different than you guys, but seriously I just can't get the sound I want with the amp on its own.

Another amp I have is a Marshall AVT100 and that has a sweet metal tone. I know its mainly solid state, but I would really love to achieve a similar sound on the TSL.
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez AX
TSL100
Mesa 4x12
TC Electronic G-Major
TS9 Tube Screamer
Crybaby Wah
Gain- 8-10
Low- 9
Mid- 1
High- 5

Or..

Gain- 7
Low- 7
Mid- 9
High- 5

I'm not familiar with the TSL controls, so I don't know if that helped any..

I would of gotten a DSL, though.
Quote by payntbrush
Thanks for the replys

Pickups are fine - EMG81.

Don't get me wrong fella's i'm not a newbie, I know how to plug my gear in and set my amp settings. My taste for a fine metal sound might be a bit different than you guys, but seriously I just can't get the sound I want with the amp on its own.

Another amp I have is a Marshall AVT100 and that has a sweet metal tone. I know its mainly solid state, but I would really love to achieve a similar sound on the TSL.

ah, now we're getting somewhere.

Are you sure the batteries aren't done in the 81's? Assuming they aren't...

are you cranking the amp? you kind of need to.

Could you tell us what settings you use for the avt? because I have one and could maybe look into it.

I know it's personal preference and all, but i'd vastly prefer a tsl to an avt. and what type of metal tones are you after?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Weres Joel When we need him! He said he got great metal tones out of his DSL!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I use an Engl Screamer Combo and (some people will shout at me for saying this) use a Krank pedal with it. I get pretty much all big metal tones I need from Trivium to God Forbid. For a cheaper pedal try Line 6 Uber Metal that sounds great too.