Sorry to litter the board with questions about this but just wanted to ask a question maybe some of you know the answer too...

So Im going to start learning the modes of the major scale. I already know the 5 different positions of it, so as for modes you just start on the 2nd note and work through the pattern until you come to that note again, right?

|-7-|-1-|---|-2-|
|---|-5-|---|-6-|
|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|
|-6-|---|-7-|-1-|
|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|
|-7-|-1-|---|-2-|

So for instance, if I wanted to play the 2nd mode I'd start on the 2 and play up to the next 2, am I right?

But my main question is, in playing a mode and practice do you play up to the 2 on the next octive as well or would I stop on the 2 on the 3rd string?

It seems that already knowing the patterns will make the modes pretty easy to learn. I could be wrong and missing something though?
Yes. You make the 2nd note your root note, and you'll be playing the Dorian mode.

As for how you want to practice, that's up to you. Most people probably play two octaves when running up and down the scale.

-SD
Brilliant, thank you very much.

So modes are pretty easy when you know the 5 positions then?

I heard a friend say that modes were more about knowing the sound of the mode or something.
That's just a part of modes. Each mode has its own sound due to its interval structure. When you make the 2nd note your root note, each note changes its relation (the 2nd now becomes 1st/root, the 3rd becomes 2nd, 4th becomes 3rd, etc.). That creates different intervals in relation to the major scale, and thus different sounds.

-SD
Right, deffy's got it... it's the inherent difference between modes. C ionian and D dorian may have the same notes, but they have different resolutions. Playing the patterns up and down will result in nothing, so that's not how you hear the sound of the modes... play a couple lines/licks from each scale, and resolve it to the root note. You'll immediately hear the minor tone of dorian and the major tone of ionian.
Looking for my India/Django.