I want a small tube practice amp. I'd get a half-stack, but I read the FAQ thing and it said that they're too loud for practicing and stuff. I want a good tone too, obviously. I play rock, punk/rock, pop/rock, classic rock, anything of that sort. I don't need it to be high gain. I'll just buy an overdrive/distortion pedal if I need to play anything metally.

Any suggestions? I want the tone of a Mesa, or a Marshall, but I don't have the money to get a 100W halfstack, or the room space.
Well if you want cheap theres the Peavey Valve king its a pretty good deal, or you could go with a Fender Hot Rod. Those are probaly your best bets for cost wise.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
^Agreed, I want one of those BAD!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube is a great amp im sure. Its a bit pricey though! Hughes and Kettner is a brand that I can trust though.. strange, I know but their stuff just seems nice. The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is nice too. I want one and might get one sometime in the future.
those epiphone tube amps really aren't that new (well, that head is new, I've never seen that one before).

But if you can, I'd recommend something like a fender champ, or some old harmony or silvertone amp off ebay. One with a tube rectifier.
how many watts are u looking for? is this for bedroom, band use or both.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You CAN get a half stack - mine cost $433 new.

$100 epiphone valve head
$333 2 x 12" cabinet.

of course you can get cheaper speakers.. and then you have a half stack, that's not too loud!
Peter Frampton's live song "Do You Feel Like I Do" is incredible and I suggest you cop it.
Quote by FaceTheBass
Jimmy Page will probably write a song about it if he finds out, but make it seem like he is singing about Lord of the Rings.
+1 Fender Blues Junior
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Standard-Combo-Amplifier?sku=480259

Should be AMAZING. The tone on those things are great, for single knob practice amps. Classic rock, punk, anything low gain. PLus, Give it an overdrive and mm mmm... cream city....

Or.. whatever you'd use it for, Id sqeal out a quick blues for a few hours (thats quick for me)
Thanks guys.

Just a question. Is it possible to get bedroom levels out of a Dual Rectifier, or some sort of other nice halfstack like that? Becuase I already have a nice solid state amp (65W) but it's actually a bit loud for bedroom practice. (but I am like a foot from it)
not really. you have to have it fairly cranking to get the tones you want.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Just a question. Is it possible to get bedroom levels out of a Dual Rectifier, or some sort of other nice halfstack like that?

It is impossible (to have it sounding good at bedroom levels) without an attenuator, and last time I checked, those things run up a pretty high price.
Ibanez Valbee? Or is that too small?
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Quote by loofery
You CAN get a half stack - mine cost $433 new.

$100 epiphone valve head
$333 2 x 12" cabinet.

of course you can get cheaper speakers.. and then you have a half stack, that's not too loud!

if you want to get finnicky you'd call that a quarter stack
Quote by jj1565
how many watts are u looking for? is this for bedroom, band use or both.

well, the reason i asked what ur using it for is because most tube amps Are too loud for bedroom use.
ive got an epi 5W head and a fender blues jr. and even the the epi connected thru an old marshall combo is really loud.

so if u want to go tube, and u arent going to take it out of the house, then keep that in mind.
maybe the epi 5W combo is good for you.

if u plan on using it to blast over drums then look at something like the blues junior, 15W or over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^:stickpoke:
to seljer
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by jj1565
if u plan on using it to blast over drums then look at something like the blues junior, 15W or over.

yeah, i tried one when i was away, and it was awesome. I don't know if it'll give you a marshall or a mesa tone, though.

glad to see you back too, jenny.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

yeah, i dont know about that but i think itll suit his style of play with the right pedals.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by bradbradbrad
Ibanez Valbee? Or is that too small?

That's loud enough for a practice amp, and with active controls it's got a good range of sounds. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available in the US.
Quote by sethp
it might be too late by the time you read this, but...

http://tinyurl.com/s2oyv

First of all, its in bad condition, and second of all, its reserve isnt met. This means that the price so far that the bidders have bid to is $405, but the seller set it so it wont sell until it reaches a min. price that he set.
Laney LC15R, great little amp for cleans and crunch. Can go up to marshall territory gain-wise with an OD or booster pedal, but won't do real high gain.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
maybe a traynor yc50 if your looking for marshall style tone? might be a bit loud though
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
YCC50 is a pretty big practice amp. That Laney sounds like a deal. The Epi Valve Junior would also be a great option.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
ive been wanting to get one too. just wondering, is the fender blues junior still in production? how much for a 15 watt?
^ yeah the blues junior is still in production. It's £325 in the UK, $400 in the USA, I think. Nice amp for cleans, blues and classic rock, IMO.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?