i have limited it down to 2 amps. but can't decide which one.

Mesa triple rectifier

Marshall jcm 900 4100

i hear that the marshall isn't that good for heavier stuff but i can alsways get a pedal or 2. but it only has 2 channels.

the mesa is priceir but has 3 channels and all the gain i'll ever need. plus i like the solo feature.

i hav heard both but didn't get alot of time with them. but i need help figuring out which is best. i mainly play my chemical romance and metallica, but also play avenged sevenfold,trivium,HIM,the used,taking back sunday,the 69 eyes,turbonegro
Last edited by VoodooMagic_69 at May 26, 2006,
I'd say the mesa is best.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
first off...why the triple recto? and why the 900?

the Dual is better thent he Recto.

and youll want a DSL100 or a TSL100 instead of a JCM900.

My vote is for a Dual Recto

[edit] Also, dont think the JCM900 isnt heavy. Cuz itll rip your balls off like they were tied to a dragster on a greenlight.
Boogies beat everything.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
You cant really compare these two amps.

Marshall has the old skool factor and that mid-range crunch, while the mesa is modern high gain.

People say the mesa does marhall better than marshall does.

I have tried both and i prefered the JCM900, thats me, it suits my style of playing and the music i play.

For what you play, go for the mesa or a dual for a bit less!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Basically, do you want the mesa or marshall tone?

well the Dual Recto can nail a Marshall tone WAY better then a Marshall can nail a Mesa tone..

I know cuz i have a 900 and want a Dual sound lol...
It really does depend on what sound you want, this place seems to be highly-pro Mesa, dont get me wrong, they are great amps, but theyre not the be all and end all.
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
first off...why the triple recto? and why the 900?.

mesa becuase i heard really good things about it. people (ibanez4life) say that it's really versitile and i thought it sounded good

well when i first started lookin amps i say that frank iero was playin a jcm 900 so i did more research on it and they say it's a jcm 800 (heard good things) on steroids. when i went to guitar center the guy said the dsl was close to the sound and i liked it. plus it's cheaper so i can always buy extra pedals or things like that
Quote by VoodooMagic_69
mesa becuase i heard really good things about it. people (ibanez4life) say that it's really versitile and i thought it sounded good

well when i first started lookin amps i say that frank iero was playin a jcm 900 so i did more research on it and they say it's a jcm 800 (heard good things) on steroids. when i went to guitar center the guy said the dsl was close to the sound and i liked it. plus it's cheaper so i can always buy extra pedals or things like that

Yeah I see what you mean. But why not go with something that sounds good to YOU? The Triple is overkill...and the Dual is VERY versitile. I strongly recomment a Dual Recto.
2 questions about the cosmetics (not to important). if i got the mesa could i take off the dimond plate front and put on a grill cloth like on the marshall in it's place?

and if i get the marshall would it be possible to take the body of a jcm 800 and put the electronics of the 900 in it? so it's a 900 with an 800 body. if so where would i find the body from?
You can order Mesa's with custom set-ups like you said.

Of course with different colors.

But a JCM900 and 800 both use almost the same headbox, so why would you want to change it?
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
But a JCM900 and 800 both use almost the same headbox, so why would you want to change it?

i was thinkin the same thing...
Just my advice....don't worry about cosmetics....you seem to not really know which amp you're going with yet, nor what tone you really want, so dont worry about cosmetics.

It's the sound you're looking for! Worry about that first.

And the cosmetics will cost you much much more.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Just my advice....don't worry about cosmetics....you seem to not really know which amp you're going with yet, nor what tone you really want, so dont worry about cosmetics.

It's the sound you're looking for! Worry about that first.

And the cosmetics will cost you much much more.

My advice

Spend more time trying amps because its obvious you don't know what you want and you will regret any decision you make.
^good advice.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
first off...why the triple recto? and why the 900?

and youll want a DSL100 or a TSL100 instead of a JCM900.

My vote is for a Dual Recto

[edit] Also, dont think the JCM900 isnt heavy. Cuz itll rip your balls off like they were tied to a dragster on a greenlight.

the 900 rapes the dsl and tsl's.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
not for metal tones.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
right now i'm leanin on the 900, then maybe get a boss od-1 for solos. or someother pedals that woul dgive me a good lead tone.

and with the splawn thing do i send the amp to them and they do it or do they just send the case
Ok heres something no one has mentioned, Repair....The inside of dual recto is insanely crowded, and if you push the amp rally hard week in week out something can easily go wrong..The marshall has the same problem of over heating, however, fixin a marshall is much easier, with far less crowded components and if any one says you cant get a incredible heavy tone out of a marshall they need to have their ears checked, personally ive played tons and tons of different amps, but in your case, look at the rigs of who your playnig, if most have marshalls....Bingo, if most have mesas go with a mesa but mostly....your not goin to know what sounds best or whats most versitle unless you try the rig EXACTLY how you would play it out, and most larger guitar stores will accomodate that...bring YOUR guitar,your pedals etc...then A/B compare them...
well lets see ^^^
Metallica-mesa but used to use marshall
mcr-marshall
the used-marshall
69 eyes-marshall
HIM-laney
turbonegro-?
taking back sunday-say mesa but in the new video marshall
trivium-marshall
a7x-bogner.

wow your right. if the jcm 900 sounds close to a dsl but better then i'll get that. do they sell them new anymore? and whats a good cab? i was think the 1960bx cab or 1960a cab
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE

Anyone see whats wrong with this?
Quote by VoodooMagic_69
well lets see ^^^
Metallica-mesa but used to use marshall
mcr-marshall
the used-marshall
69 eyes-marshall
HIM-laney
turbonegro-?
taking back sunday-say mesa but in the new video marshall
trivium-marshall
a7x-bogner.

wow your right. if the jcm 900 sounds close to a dsl but better then i'll get that. do they sell them new anymore? and whats a good cab? i was think the 1960bx cab or 1960a cab

The funny thing is those bands are some of the best produced out there. They might use an amplifier or two, but do you honestly think thats all that you're hearing? You hear a weeks worth of guitar tracks, plenty of effects, edits, clips, starts stops and a hell of alot of layering and EQ. Getting __________ amplifier will not make you sound like __________ band.

Your fingertips and your ear will determine your tone. You can have the best sounding amplifier in the world and still make it sound like **** if you don't know how to work it. Even if you can make it sound pretty you might not be PLAYING correctly.

Obviously you're just shooting in the dark here trying to find some amplifier.

Take my advice, TRY MORE AMPS. Work on your chops, try more amps out. Save the money. Don't limit yourself to what you have in town, goto the next town over. Goto a major city, do SOMETHING other than throw two pieces of **** at the wall and see which sticks best.
how is it that you manage to give someone good advice, help them and make them look like an idiot at the same time. bravo you should listen to this man.^
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
to me it sounds like you dont know what you want.

MCR may use a JCM900 for thier rythm but the lead guitarist actually uses a crate blue vodoo. so a JCM900 isnt gonna get you an "MCR" tone.

so lets check a few other options out

hawthorne heights- mesa
silverstien- mesa
from first to last- bogner
AFI-mesa

so yeah.

oh, and it sounds like you dont know what you want, so i would just wait, wait until you really want one of them, 1,000 is alot to spend
another Suggestion is the Mesa MArk IV. Much more verstile than the other and can nail the tones
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Dudage
Anyone see whats wrong with this?

oops. I meant the Dual is better then the Triple Recto*.

IMO...
Quote by obilisk
to me it sounds like you dont know what you want.

MCR may use a JCM900 for thier rythm but the lead guitarist actually uses a crate blue vodoo. so a JCM900 isnt gonna get you an "MCR" tone.

from first to last- bogner

um...no?

FFTL=ORANGE AMPS

and the lead guitarist from MCR uses some high end amp...cant remember...but it taint a BV.
ray used a blue vodoo on the record but like he uses a randall MTS.

no From first to last use bogner HEADs with Orange cabs

Look under his legs. THAT guy uses Orange heads. The other guy uses a Bogner head with Mesa cabs. soo yeah, we were both right.

[edit] in the 'Note to Self' video they both use Orange halfstacks. idk what they record with though.