Page 1 of 2
Alright guys i tried the repair/clamp repair for the cracked neck on my guitar, It worked like a charm, The neck is just as good as before..And very strong, I just installed the neck back and put some new strings on.

it sounds great like it is..but my powerchords sound more clunky and thick..

It seems i have run into one last problem, I have to raise the bridge way more then before to get the strings off the neck. It use to only take 4 turns on the bridge to keep the strings very very low. But also with no fret buzz..Now it takes 10 turns to get them up and no fret buzz..But the thing is..the strings are still the same hight with low action as before with only 4 turns..but it takes 10 to get the same effect..and makes my bridge looks funky being way up high..Im guessing its need a truss rod adjustment maybe? any help would be greatly appreciated considering i have gotten this far. Im not sure which way to adjust the truss rod..If thats even the problem..thanks
urrgh
its probably ur neck angle.

what type of guitar is it and where was the crack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The guitar is a Dean ml. The crack was under the nut on the neck..It is repaired and looks like nothing was ever there..But as i said i just put the neck on so something must be out of wack with the truss rod or something..
urrgh
i can tell u how to measure it but im weary about neck fragility, so that part is up to you.

fret the low e at the first fret. at the same time...
fret the low e at the 17th, about where the neck meets the body.

check around the 7th and 8th fret.
if the string is just laying on the fretwire there then u dont have enough gap.
if its more than a credit cards thickness up from the fretwire there then u have too much gap.

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i tried what you told me to..the string is basically touching
urrgh
yeah that makes sense. in other words ur neck is pretty straight, maybe even bent backwards a little.

to bend it forward a bit u would need to detune it a little, and then turn the truss nut COUNTER clockwise 1/8", a very small amount.
then let it sit an hour, retune and remeasure.

then either repost, or if u feel comfortable adjust 1/8" more if needed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I think if i bow the neck in more forwards. the strings will go away from the fretbord some..thus i can lower the bridge to get the same effect as haveing it up 10 turns now right?
urrgh
thats right, with the neck more bowed, u should be able to lower the action at the bridge. unless some of the frets are raised from the neck trauma.
so, its impossible to tell how much it will help.

another thing would be to try a thicker gauge string, that would also bow the neck forward.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok thanks..im going to try and bow it forward in small ammounts until i can lower the bridge back to normal..and still get the same low action as before. but which way do i turn it? and do i need a special tool for this?..i know how to acess the truss rod already
urrgh
ok sorry i missed your thread up there..counter clockwise..thanks lol
urrgh
u need the correct size allen wrench. that part i cant help u with. if ur guitar didnt come wt one then u would need to look online for ur size or buy a multi allen wrench tool in the hardware store.

some brands use inches some use metric measurements.

never force a neck turn and dont do more than two adjustments.
well not without checking here first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ok just to be sure, counter clockwise if you are facing the headstock 1st and the body up front, not your body 1st and headstock, coz thats tightening it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
That was a little confuseing..if i take the guitar and stand it infront of me on the floor..with the front of the guitar faceing me..i turn it to the left right?
urrgh
madpick are u smoking again cause now im confused.

i lay the guitar on a high table, look at the headstock from above and turn the wrench counter clock.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
madpick are u smoking again cause now im confused.

i lay the guitar on a high table, look at the headstock from above and turn the wrench counter clock.

slightly off-topic: but hey jenny we missed you
to the left right?if its standing up infront of me on the floor with the front faceing me? i need to make sure before i turn this wrench
urrgh
i want to say left. (as its, lefty loosey) but it depends how u hold the wrench.

more specific, if in that possition, if the nut were a clock , then the wrench would need to be spun counter clockwise.

^and thanks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

good to see you're back. have a drink to celebrate
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
ok umm..im sitting in a chair right now..the guitar is right infront of me standing up on the floor between my knees ..the front of the guitar is faceing me..the front of the headstock with the word "dean" across it..i turn to the left? cause thats clockwise..lol
urrgh
Well thats the way im supposed to be turning it correct? clockwise if its standing up between my knees with the side of the headstock that says"dean"
urrgh
Quote by jj1565
i want to say left. (as its, lefty loosey) but it depends how u hold the wrench.

more specific, if in that possition, if the nut were a clock , then the wrench would need to be spun counter clockwise.

Ok ok, dun wanna confuse anyone, its the way you hold the wrench actually . If the L shape is pointing towards you, then you counter clockwise, if the L shape is poking you, then its clockwise...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
laf, the nut is a circle, whats so hard about spinning it counter clockwise?
you kids, and ur digital watches.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok I found a guide

media.zzounds.com/media/truss_rod_adjustment-c53669fbee160b82ed2b3d44fed49ac3.pdf

Im lossend it some..to make the neck bow forward..i see no noticeable effect on string hight..
urrgh
You gotta let it rest for about 20-30 mins before you can see a result, and plz do it slowly, or else you'll crack the neck.

Quote by jj1565
laf, the nut is a circle, whats so hard about spinning it counter clockwise?
you kids, and ur digital watches.

lol, circle yes, but its the way you hold ur wrench , and i dont wear watches

and i can see that you've lost the chocolate-orangness of ur beautiful name (just jj565, i dun even know what it means )
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^doesnt mean anything, im still jenny. and how u hold the wrench is valid for left or right, not for counter clock. :p

and threadstarter please, small turn like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Meh, do you have the "L" shaped wrench or the one that looks like a normal screwdriver?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i thought jj meant jenny jen, i got a friend called jenny. and if it is hard to turn then dont turn it you can do some issues by doing that
haha, yeah i think we are talking to ourselves, cause he's already turned and is now waiting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Just adding more color to this thread
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Well i turned it..a little more then 1/8..not much..still no diffrence really
urrgh
Relax, its time consuming, and check back the neck relief.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Hey, Well i didnt notice any improvement in the string hight..but i could lower the bridge about 5 turns lower without fret buzz..its almost there..i guess i should loosen the truss rod a wee bit more and i should be able to get it back down even lower right?
urrgh
ok its been an hour or more..it "seemed" to work at first cause i could lower the bridge about 5 turns..i tried looseing the truss rod a little more and it hasnt moved any in the hour
urrgh
Well im looseing the rod up..Ive turned it a good ammount..and nothing happens..the rod is also very very loose..it takes no pressure to move it at all. ive waited longer then an hour..i also dropped the bridge enough so the strings touch the freboard..so if the truss rod actually works..i would be able to see the diffrence reasily..nothing happens
urrgh
well maybe you have reached the maximum. btw you shouldnt really adjust your trussrod more than what is required
Page 1 of 2