Unless my search methods suck, i found nothing like this, so here goes.

As we all know, there are heirarchies within bass-dom. What manufacturers product better basses than others? How would you stack the manufacturers from worst to greatest (or vice versa, whichever you prefer)?

What i know/assume so far; Warwick is incredibly good, and you can't get better than Modulus. Rouge is cheap. Ibanez is middle-of-the-road (from what i hear).
The problem with just saying some companies are good/bad at it, is the fact that most of them make high and low quality basses. Ibanez, for example, can sell one of their cheap-o's under $200 (USD), but their higher-ups go into the 4-digit area.
Assuming you go with the highest quality in the big companies, I would have to say, lowest to highest
Rogue/First Act - Squier - Ibanez - Fender - Warwick - Modulus

I know I'm missing a lot of brands, but I've never played on 'em.
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
how about custom manufacturers like shuker? and again, some companies produce large ranges of basses, so you cant judge them. and as an extreme example, Ernie Ball > Squier. however, some people may love a squier and despise a MM, so theres going to be opinions everywhere
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at May 26, 2006,
Quote by IndieMetalhead
how about custom manufacturers like shuker? and again, some companies produce large ranges of basses, so you cant judge them

This is true. That's why i was a little apprehensive posting this thread, because i know about that and the fact that some manufacturers make low-end and high-end basses.
Most of the time it's not so much what brand name the bass is, but what you pay for it (assuming you're paying a reasonable price for the guitar). A $500 guitar should be better than a $200 one. There are exceptions, but not often. Also, what kind of six string do you play? A few of us here play them, and I was just wondering about yours.
^generally the higher priced you go, the better the instrument. however, theres a point where the price justs adds features which make the bass no better

Quote by metaldud536

Yeah, You could pay a couple hundred grand you have your bass encased in solid gold and encrusted with diamonds (bling bling), but is it really going to make it sound better. Bootsy Collins wouldn't care.
Quote by Bumper
Yeah, You could pay a couple hundred grand you have your bass encased in solid gold and encrusted with diamonds (bling bling), but is it really going to make it sound better. Bootsy Collins wouldn't care.

good ol Bootsy

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Bumper
Most of the time it's not so much what brand name the bass is, but what you pay for it (assuming you're paying a reasonable price for the guitar). A $500 guitar should be better than a $200 one. There are exceptions, but not often. Also, what kind of six string do you play? A few of us here play them, and I was just wondering about yours.

Dean Edge Q6. Got it on layaway for 350USD (tax and all), and i fell in love. I started on a Rouge 5 string, but since i got my Dean, i'm not going back.

Quote by Bumper

Actually, Bootsy just might care if it was solid gold and with diamonds. "Extravagant music for extravagant people" ring a bell?
My Fretless is a cheap £180 Bubinga Vintage V940FL, and i love it. its like, MY bass. the only other bass that felt so good was a Musicman Stingray i played a few months back

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by PenumbralFigure
Dean Edge Q6. Got it on layaway for 350USD (tax and all), and i fell in love.

Thats awesome! I play an Edge Q6 also! Mine's black, and I got it used for about $300. I'm so happy I've found another six string bassist on here that doesn't play an Ibanez!
Quote by Bumper
Thats awesome! I play an Edge Q6 also! Mine's black, and I got it used for about $300. I'm so happy I've found another six string bassist on here that doesn't play an Ibanez!

Kickass! Mine's navy blue. I'd never give this thing up.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
My Fretless is a cheap £180 Bubinga Vintage V940FL, and i love it. its like, MY bass. the only other bass that felt so good was a Musicman Stingray i played a few months back

no, its MINE
Quote by Leno
no, its MINE

well, you sold it to me. twerp

Quote by metaldud536

About the basses, personally it can depend on the amp on how it sounds too.
Now I've played and had many amps and basses.
I've found that, Ibanez are decent for the price.
I remember the first time I got a Fender Jazz bass, I would never buy anything else besides a Fender ever again. I still keep the promise!
Quote by grimreaper65
Warwicks are best

Fender's are mid

Rogue are pretty bad.

Again, you can't say that EVERY single fender is middle of the road,they have 3 grand custom shop models, those are rpetty high-end methinks,
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by IndieMetalhead
well, you sold it to me. twerp

true, true