ok, so my b-day is coming up, im expecting on getting roughly $400. maybe, maybe not, but if ido,
i planned on getting a Peavey VK112.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

but, should i not get enough, im planned on getting the Roland Cube 30.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30-1x10-30W-with-COSM-and-EFX-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480023

so, im gonna get either one of these, thats set in stone. but if i do get all 400, should i blow it all on the VK, or get the cube and new pups? (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030)

keep in mind, its also not guaranteed ill get the 350 (at least) im expecting, which is roughly the cost of Cube/Pups. but im positive ill get at least the 230, so im getting the Roland for sure.
if it helps, right now i have a Schecter Omen 6, (where the pups will go) a Squier Strat (not worth upgrading), and a Boss DS-1 pedal.

thanks, methinks.
Yeah, get the Vox. Way better than the Cube. I tried 'em both yesterday. Im getting the Vox when I get some more money.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
well, ive read that the cube is better for the music i play (metal, like old school thrash, testament, exodus,etc, and some new crap, like LoG). but yeah, i guess the pedal would fix that up.
so get the Valvtronix and the pups?
^yeah, but i already have the pedal. so i guess the only thing im really looking for is a real good clean sound?
and ive decided to get the pups, so im guessing roughly 200-250 to work with here. any good suggestions?
Quote by Gopher636
well, ive read that the cube is better for the music i play (metal, like old school thrash, testament, exodus,etc, and some new crap, like LoG). but yeah, i guess the pedal would fix that up.
so get the Valvtronix and the pups?

Yeah, i'd say go for the Vox. But it's your choice, go to a store and play on one. And if you like the Cube, get the Cube. But you can always add an OD pedal to any amp for a boost.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
well its not really a boost. pedal = dirty sounds, amps clean channel = clean sounds.
fairly simple.
Given that price range, I've yet to find a better, more versatile amp than the Vox Valvetronix series. But given your listed options, I'd opt for the Peavey.
right now, i have the crappy squier frontman that came with the guitar a few years ago. i barely consider an amp. i wouldve rather got an amp then a pedal, but i got that for free.

meh, im leaning more towards the Vox and SD's. cuz its more realistic-theres no guarantee ill get all 400$, and even if i do, ill still have some cash left over.
any more input?
I think you should get cube and pickups because A) I doubt you'll get very high gain with the peavey valveking and B)the cube is a lot better suited for metal than the vox
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
get the peavey its all tube and any effects pedal u run into it will sound better. The Vox or Roland dont do metal and I played with the eq and gain on both for a while. If you want Metallica and beyond all 3 of these amps will prob need a dist pedal but the Peavey gets closest. With only 3 12ax7 tubes it is like playing on the crunch channel of a XXX as opposed to the Ultra channel which runs 4 12ax7s in the signal path. But a XXX on teh crunch channel sounds pretty convincing, the ultra channel adds a bit of distortion but mainly adds a deeper bass and crunch to the palm muting power chord chugging sounds.

Bottom line:
Solid state/digital dist pedal + SS /digital amp = crap
Solid state/digital dist pedal + tube amp = teh sex
^you coulda just not posted that top part, it made no sense to me. but thanks.
...BUT, should i not get the 400, cube or roland? once again, ive got a dist pedal so theyre 'gain' settings dont matter.
Quote by CustomCustom
get the peavey its all tube and any effects pedal u run into it will sound better.

So, a XMM Metal Master and a Line 6 Uber Metal will sound better through a tube amp rather than a SS? I think not.

Distortion pedal + Tube amp= Mud.
Overdrive pedal + Tube amp= Godlike.

The Vox or Roland dont do metal and I played with the eq and gain on both for a while.

You must've either been playing a lemon or your sense of EQ is ****. Both do fine for Metal.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by PunishedOne
So, a XMM Metal Master and a Line 6 Uber Metal will sound better through a tube amp rather than a SS? I think not.

Distortion pedal + Tube amp= Mud.
Overdrive pedal + Tube amp= Godlike.

You must've either been playing a lemon or your sense of EQ is ****. Both do fine for Metal.

Both do fine for metal if you think distortion pedals sound good, but to me all SS pedals and amps sound like crap. For a novice they probably do sound convincing, my Arion Metal Master pedal was godlike in my 2nd year of playing, but no SS can capture the subtlety and nuance of a good tube amp. And yes by distortion pedal + tube amp I meant anything from overdrive to a Boss DS1. all these metal pedals sound like complete crap Line 6 is junk, Boss Metal Zone is junk, Digitech metal/grunge/death whatevers all sound like lifeless buzzy solid state crap. The Valveking and a Boss DS1 will blow the Vox or Cube away at anything louder than television set volume levels.