If I were to take the humbucker cover off of one of my humbuckers, would it hurt it? Would it sound very different, and how? Also, how would I take it off?
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
It'll get a hotter sound. Compare the sound of a standard SG, and a special SG, and you'll get an idea.
theres a common misconception about covers.

Will it hurt the pickup? if you dont f-up taking it off then it'll be fine.
Will it sound different? unless you had a well trained ear, you wouldn't tell the difference.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
probably there's just a blob of solder holding it on, and dont move the ribbon around under the cover.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ i thought you were banned Jenny.

and to answer your question. It will not hurt it if you have a brain. And it will give a slightly hotter sound and usually increase midrange.
it will not change the sound... WILL NOT. it used to, back when the covers were made out of steel... i dont remember what the steel would do but somehow it thickened the tone. but nowadays the covers are made out of nickel so you can get good sharp tones without removing the pickup covers...
actually it depends on the exact pickup. some lower end covered pickups need all the help they can get and taking off the cover, gives them a little more noticable (brighter) tone difference.
dont see a ton of low end covered pickups tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
it will not change the sound... WILL NOT. it used to, back when the covers were made out of steel... i dont remember what the steel would do but somehow it thickened the tone. but nowadays the covers are made out of nickel so you can get good sharp tones without removing the pickup covers...

If they were nickel it would effect the tone. They're actually zinc plated in nickel.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I can't really say that I've ever seen an example of "removed pickup covers" where "screwing with the amp" wouldn't have provided an identical result.
Quote by Funky P
If they were nickel it would effect the tone. They're actually zinc plated in nickel.

I believe the "good" old covers were "nickel silver" and made the tone darker and rounder. The newer covers (on pickups that aren't high quality) are some crappy grade nickel that absolutely ruins the top end and should be removed immediately.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
I believe the "good" old covers were "nickel silver" and made the tone darker and rounder. The newer covers (on pickups that aren't high quality) are some crappy grade nickel that absolutely ruins the top end and should be removed immediately.

Aren't most new covers chrome-plated?