so, i want to buy a new neck for my Jackson RR3, and I was wondering if I could make it a 24 fret neck. my question was if it would work? by the way its a bolt on so obviously i can swap necks. my only worry is that the strings wouldn't be long enough, and therefore i cant play with the new neck, or the 2 extra frets would get in the way of my neck pickup...but im not really sure so yea i need some advice.
Quote by cpt_pimp
i've never dreamt about Opeth, it's actually kinda gay imo... lol, i wish i dreamt about just having sex with an Opeth song in the background, except i might jizz or something and then the song would have to end early, then i would just be sad
it depends on the neck, sometimes it won't get in the way. it depends on if the neck is longer or if the fret board is longer. you'll have to reinotate your neck though, which is a pain in the ass. don't buy the neck from warmoth because it will get in the way of your pickup. and for the strings just buy a new pack. they'll still fit
When it's cold, and when it's dark..The freezing moon will obsess you.
alright, yea sorry for asking but what do you mean for reinotating the neck?
thanks hella man.
Quote by cpt_pimp
i've never dreamt about Opeth, it's actually kinda gay imo... lol, i wish i dreamt about just having sex with an Opeth song in the background, except i might jizz or something and then the song would have to end early, then i would just be sad
okwhen is not innotated well that means the higher you go on the neck the notes are out of tune, you'll have to adyist some of the screws on your bridge and inotate it, you'll need a tuner too, do you have yahoo or anything it will be alot easier to tell you about in in a instant message
also do you think you can reach the extra two frets with the body also your neck pickups may be in the way
these will help for the inotation if you need it good luck man it's not fun....

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/intonation.html

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

try to look for a neck that's longer on the top and not the bottom, some bc rich necks are like that, and i think jackson i'm not too sure, a pointed bc rich head stock would look bad ass on a rr3, a widow headstock on the other hand might look gay as crap
well if i get the neck longer i can reach it yea, if the fretboard was longer 1.) i couldnt reach it 2.) i cant play it anyway it goes into my neck pickup.

like i want to get the neck and fretboard same length, that's the only way i can get it to work i believe.

here's a pic:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/slayercobopeth/e199306d.jpg

anyway, i guess ill need to look into reinnotating the bridge and stuff.
Quote by cpt_pimp
how bout a Ibanez neck. My friend put one on his strat and allthough we had to fillin the net pocket a little it didn't effect his neck pickup.
that's a nice looking guitar...if the neck is longer you won't be able to tell much of a difference
sory man, the pm didn't work.....but i have to go, good luck on all that **** and let me know how it turned out
You won't be able to put a 24 fret neck in the place of one with 21 or 22 frets. If the 24 fret neck had the extra frets as overhang, the neck pickup will be in the way. The the fretboard has no overhang, the guitar will not intonate.