Page 1 of 2
Ok, I'm trying to decide which Epiphone Les Paul to get. Is there really a huge difference between the Standard, Classic, and Custom? Is it just cosmetics, or will they sound different? Does the custom use higher grade wood than the Standard?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
well first off there great guitars, their VERY underated, but either get the standard or custom
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Rubberbullets, you're a troll. I have never seen you make a post that didn't make you sound like a complete ass hole. If you think they are so horrible, post your reasons. Don't just be a ****ing moron and say they suck for no apparent reason.

Gibson_10, I'm really considering the standard. It's the cheapest of the three, but if they're all the same in sound the cosmetics don't matter much to me.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by azn_guitarist25
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=266&CollectionID=6 finally epiphone have decided to get their act together though the wood may be of lower quality

I was also looking at that, although I haven't tried one yet. I've only tried a standard and I thought it sounded great. I'm mainly just wondering if the Custom and Classic sound better or not.

If anyone has tried the Epi LP Standard plain top, please post your opinion on it!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I've tried them all, the only ones that don't sound like ass are the ones that come with gibson pickups as stock
No peavey dealers near me, plus I'm only interested in Les Pauls.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by rubberbullets
I've tried them all, the only ones that don't sound like ass are the ones that come with gibson pickups as stock

I'll end up changing the pickups eventually anyway, so that's not a huge concern of mine. There are also a couple of limited edition ones that come with Gibson pickups stock...I'll go look into those now.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The peavey plays like anyother les paul and it has a full mahogany body, and ebony fretboard, set neck, and tunomatic bridge. I would seriously consider ordering one offline instead of buying a cheap version of a les paul. No offense man, epi's are great, but man are they overpriced.
Quote by AsShadowsRemain
The peavey plays like anyother les paul and it has a full mahogany body, and ebony fretboard, set neck, and tunomatic bridge. I would seriously consider ordering one offline instead of buying a cheap version of a les paul. No offense man, epi's are great, but man are they overpriced.

Like I said, I want a Les Paul. Even Agiles aren't close enough to the real LP shape for me. I also want to try the guitar before I buy it-if I were to order online I wouldn't know what I was getting.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Before you buy one, consider the sound instead of looks. No offense but buying a guitar purely for the look of it isn't very smart. But it's your money. Get whatever you want.
I know it's not smart just to buy on looks-believe me, I'm not. I've tried LP Standards and really liked them. Good sound, GREAT neck, and a sturdy build. With that though, I have to like how the guitar looks. If I like the sound, but don't like the neck or the look of the guitar I'm not going to want to play it.

I'm also not going to buy a guitar just for the LP look and not hear it first.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^

I'll have to try one of those out...If only it came in some better colors. Like solid black. or Alpine white.

Vintage Sunburst should be nice though...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^Did you try one out TimmyPage?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
No, but I do own an Epiphone Standard. I hate the pickups with a passion, and I took the pickguard off (I have big hands, it was slowing me down, forcing me to anchor), but the feel is absolutely amazing.

Honestly, it plays alot better than most Gibsons I've played, I dont think I've ever played a guitar im as comfortable with as this one (except the HSS strat im lusting over... mmmm).
As a rule stock pickups usually suck. It's not like Epiphone would be different from any other company. I've already come to terms that no matter what guitar I buy, I'll most likely have to swap the pickups.

Also, I agree that the LP standards are AMAZINGLY comfortable. I tried one out in a guitar shop...I could have played that thing for hours, but after a good 45 mins the store owner came over and asked me to put it back.

Needless to say, I'd buy a chinese made 99 cent Gibson on Ebay before I'd buy anything from that rat bastard.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at May 27, 2006,
see thats where its really confusing as some guitars have some good stock pickups and also some guitar companies ship there guitars with sd pickups
Ok, well, im talking in this price range of guitar, the 600 or so range. Except Schecter, but they don't count because... they... *tries his hardest to not make a gay bashing comment after all the work he did in the homophobia thread*
I can't say that I've ever been "disappointed" in an Epi LP, even the really low end ones seem solid enough for their price range. Considering your "600 or so range" and given the condition that you want an LP, I'd invest in a sub-$400 Standard and be very open minded about possible pickup replacement options should the stock ones be unsuitable.
You should probably try out many oof them and continue to do that until you find an absolutely great one. Mine is very rare because its so good, but they're not impossible to find if you search a little
I have a Epiphone LP Custom. I love it, i would say that it plays better than a Gibson LP Studio (and yes, i have played one many a time before). The sound is awesome, and the neck is really fast when you take the time to set it up. The only bummer for me is the weight of the thing - its pretty heavy. Though the weight gives it its sound, so i aint too bothered about that. I've had it for about 2 years now, and no problems with it and ive been gigging it. Get one!
Quote by ibanez901
I brush my pubal forest into a combover.
I wouldn't buy gibsons online, as far as quality control goes, gibson arent that great. You might have to pay for some big repairs in the first 6 months. Go buy from a guitar store, and make sure the things in good shape.
http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/

Look out for them... Much better quality than epiphone (look at the korean ones, the japanese ones would obviously be better considering their price!)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
this is easily the best non elitist les paul, and the price is right about the same as the plain top: Les Paul Ultra

Don't be fooled by the hoolw body, it still sounds like a Les Paul
And also, it may be the signature for Nancy Wilson from Heart, but her name isn't on it anywhere, I checked

EDIT: these are AMAZING too: Joe Perry Les Paul
"Yes, they do. Gibson made anyway. The ones in mine are not, however. My LP is from the China facility"

what? Epi LPs (some of them, certain models?) are Made in teh ROC?? F that for the prices they ask Id just get an Agile or save a few bucks more for an LTD EC400AT or EC1000 or a Tokai which I had one for $200 new off ebay and it was every bit as heavy as a real LP.

Korean labor/engineering compared to Chinese labor is night and day, the Koreans and especially Japanese manufacturing quality is better than Americans. Both westernized, democratic, educated countries that dont live on the one day-one bowl of rice mentality with the benefit of the one culture-one mind efficiancy much like the Germans or Swiss. Look at a Chevrolet vs. a Toyota case closed in my book. I would include the Brits but I used to have a Jag XJ6 that had a nightmare of gremlins in the electrical system that were never completely tracked down. Never forget Tiennamann Square.
If you have your heart set on an Epiphone, get the LP Plain Top. A full mahogany body will sound a lot more like a Les Paul than one with a block of Alder in.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you have your heart set on an Epiphone, get the LP Plain Top. A full mahogany body will sound a lot more like a Les Paul than one with a block of Alder in.

dont forget it also has a mahogany neck
the plain top is an all mahogany body while the standard is 2 pieces of mahogany sandwiching one piece of alder. also plain top has two alnico classic hb while standard has just two hb
Page 1 of 2