Could i put .13-.56's on my Squire strat without doing any adjustments with my trussrod? Its a maple neck.
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
Yeah, but you'd need to adjust the action.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Truss rod adjustment is not necesarry, he just needs to adjust his bridge so it doesn't buzz.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
no, cos if he had 9's on before and had them set up for that when he would change the string gauge he would need to adjust the truss rod to compensate for the extra tension caused by the thicker strings
You might also have to add more springs in the body cavity to help counteract the extra tension.
The truss rod is going to be one of those "wait and see" issues. At this point I'd worry more about the action and intonation.
11-70s? That mental! Are you sure?

As stated before, you'd need to adjust the truss rod to compensate for the increased tension 13's would put on your guitar. You might want to consider drop tuning half a step.

You also have to make sure there's enough relief on the neck so that all the strings can vibrate when plucked without hitting any frets (causing buzzing).
Last edited by Aza83 at May 27, 2006,
Just put the strings on then check the neck.. Leave the strings on for about 2 hours or so to let the guitar settle then press the first and last frets on the low e string. If you have a gap greater than about 1/2 a mm between the top of the 7th fret and the bottom of the e string then you should adjust the action (similarly if it's touching the top of the fret you need an adjustment.) If you don't have a feeler gauge to make the measurement go and buy some really thin picks (a selection would help) so you can measure it more accurately.

Relief is more of a personal thing though, personally I don't like much relief at all and in the measurement outlined above I'd aim for about 1/4 of an mm or less (depending on what I can get away with on the guitar.)

And for the record when switching from 11-52 to 13-58 I didn't need any adjustment.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by skippertipper
Could i put .13-.56's on my Squire strat without doing any adjustments with my trussrod? Its a maple neck.

just dont freak if the bridge lifts up. thats just a simple adjustment, like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Aza83
11-70s? That mental! Are you sure?

Yeah, its perdy crazy. Super heavy sounding.
Quote by TheFluffy
i went from a regular set of 10s to a set of 11-70s without needing a rod adjust

same here, i just adjusted the bridge a tad.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio