Well, I have a price range of between 300 and 500 pounds, and I want a new guitar! I play rock and metal, from bullet for my valentine and trivium through to metallica maiden and on to some guns n roses stuff. I like thin necks, but am not a fan of the body shapes that tend to go with them, I already own a jackson randy rhoads and have had enough of it! I like les paul shapes, but can't find one with a nice thin neck, also, prs se series, any good?

So what I wanna know is what do you guys recommend? I'm not that bothered about floyd roses, but if it has one then it'd better be a decent one, the one on my jackson sucks and really annoys me.
sound is more important than looks lad... i may be wrong on this but from i wat i've read, i think its the 60s les pauls they have thinner necks.. but i can be wrong.. prs se series r good
yep les pauls with 60's neck were thinner (or was it the other way round) but what amp do you have
get an ibanez if you want a thin neck. get a les paul if you want a fat neck. although i think the ESP EC series has thin necks.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
cheers all, i'm using a crappy aslin dane practise amp, with a ds2 and zakk wylde crybaby wah. I'll look into Ibanez and the prs se's. might push the boat out and wait for ages to get a prestige rga121. are they any good? and also would a 30watt marshall with the line out plugged into a pa and the original amp used as a moniter work? if so then would it work well?
oright, any good reason? any alternatives around that kinda price?

edit- yes a mg30dfx
Last edited by metadrix at May 27, 2006,
well the distortion is well lets just keep away from their. you should take a look at roland cubes
damn. oh well, thanks anyway. I've gotta go now but i'll check back later to see if anyone else has any ideas.
Quote by joel_grieve
get an ibanez if you want a thin neck. get a les paul if you want a fat neck. although i think the ESP EC series has thin necks.

nah, the eclipse to me well, it has the same feel as the 60s. I didnt feel any difference except the eclipse is more comfortable on the neck unlike on the gibson. Nice two guitars tho, you shouldnt be dissapointed on them.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
cheers all, how about ibanez guitars with floyd roses, are those bridges any good, edge, edge pro, etc? If I can't get a les paul with a nice shreddable (yeh i can shred ) neck then I'll just get and ibanez or similar, anything to reccomend there?

edit- oh, and how about getting a prs se singlecut, anyone know how the neck compares to ibanez guitars? and how would that sound with a seymour duncan invader in the bridge? thanks in advance
Last edited by metadrix at May 28, 2006,
the epi midnight les paul custom should suit your needs
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
yeah, I saw those, but I don't think I'll have the money to buy one any time near then (working off a paper round, it sucks) Thanks a lot anyway everyone, I shall go and try out a variety of guitars, oh and by the way does anyone have measurements of a prs se model's neck? specifically the mark tremonti one?

edit- I won't have the money when the les paul midnight's are available and they're probably a bit out of my range anyway
Last edited by metadrix at May 29, 2006,
The Esp, taking it you meant LTD, is out of my range I think, and personally I hate the way it looks. Think I'll just be going with the PRS Tremonti SE, mebbe put some new p'ups in it, already got an invader that I could move across, any suggestions of a good neck p'up to pair with an invader?
so is it really hard to play solos on les pauls because of the neck? lol, with speed.. or you just have to get used to it

EDIT: are mockingbirds any good for lead soloing thanks..
Main quips
Marshall MG100DFX
Squier Affinity
Digitech RP200A
Givson acoustic copy

elo ther.
well, the neck is slower, so a bit harder for fast stuff, ie shred etc, but you can get used to it. as for mockingbirds I haven't a clue, never played one.
Les Paul necks are usually kind of thick. The 60's slim taper (found on most, if not all Epi LPs) is a bit thinner, but not super thin. If you want super thin, go for an Ibanez.

Now, the amp you're looking at, the Marshall MG30DFX is good for practicing, but I'd recommend something else for gigging. It would probably be loud enough if hooked to a PA system if you like it, however. I'd recommend the 50w version over it though. It will give you more volume. Also, the distortion on it is fine. Don't listen to these MG bashers.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Les Paul necks are usually kind of thick. The 60's slim taper (found on most, if not all Epi LPs) is a bit thinner, but not super thin. If you want super thin, go for an Ibanez.

Now, the amp you're looking at, the Marshall MG30DFX is good for practicing, but I'd recommend something else for gigging. It would probably be loud enough if hooked to a PA system if you like it, however. I'd recommend the 50w version over it though. It will give you more volume. Also, the distortion on it is fine. Don't listen to these MG bashers.

yep and dont listen to noobs such as Xenn99
^
Seconded

I don't know if the option is available to you, but eBay is full of great second-hand RG 550/570's for approximately $200-275, and they're absolutely great guitars. As far as amps, I'd recommend a Micro Cube or Cube 15; depending on your budget .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by herschel
so is it really hard to play solos on les pauls because of the neck? lol, with speed.. or you just have to get used to it

ive never had any problem playing shred stuff on my les paul, i upgraded from a epiphone les paul to a gibson, and the difference was immense....

im now very close to hitting 19nps with legato on my les paul....im not saying you will be able to play fast by automatically playing a les paul, but it certainly hasnt hindered my playing...