Page 1 of 3
Hey, I'm gonna be building a Fuzz Face, and I though you guys might be interested in some pictures or something. If you want, I can make a step by step tutorial too.

Anyways, here's what I have to start with:

It's the shell from one of the Dunlop reissue Fuzz Faces. I bought it for 9 bucks, which is a pretty damn good deal IMO, since a totally unpainted boring metal box costs about the same amount, and this thing is all vintage sexy looking.

So, heres exactly what I'll be doing:

I bought a bunch of AC128 resistors from http://www.muzique.com/.
They're not tested yet, so I'll need too test them to choose good ones, as germanium transistors can vary quite a bit.
More info on transistor selection here:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fftech.htm#Picking%20transistors

You can skip this step though, and just order pre tested ones from http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=10.

Then, I'll be soldering it up. Right here is the schematic:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fftech1.gif
I'm just going to use perfboard, because it's such an easy circuit. I'm also gonna put in a 9v power supply, because the previous owner drilled a hole for one, and I need to fill it with something.

So yeah, that's it for now. It would be cool to see some other people get into this and post their build reports/possible mods/whatever...
If anyones interested in a parts list, or something I type one up.

Peace!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Cool. Sweet find on the enclosure.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen

So yeah, that's it for now. It would be cool to see some other people get into this and post their build reports/possible mods/whatever...
If anyones interested in a parts list, or something I type one up.

I've been meaning to make another fuzz for a while. I think i make one as well.
Sounds cool, good luck and keep us posted
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
Ok then, update

I just blew 110$ on electronic components!

Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Ok then, update

I've done that before.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Ok then, update

I have an order of $300 or so pending to be ordered, I'm just waiting to for the end of school to get a bit closer so the parents will be a bit more willing to lend me their credit card
Can we get a parts list? This looks like it would be a great first build or is there something esle you would recomned for a first build?
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
I've been looking into making pedals (especially a fuzz) and a step by step tutorial would be awesome!
Quote by LoveBuzz87
Can we get a parts list? This looks like it would be a great first build or is there something esle you would recomned for a first build?

Here's what you'd need

2 - 1/4" jacks (input/output)
1 - Enclosure
1 - Power source (battery or wall DC source)

Resistors
1 - 33k
1 - 8.2k
1 - 330 or 470
1 - 100k

Pots
1 - 500k
1 - 1k

Caps
1 - 2.2 uF
1 - 20 uF
1 - 0.1 uF

Transistors
2 - PNP (not sure what kind, but any reasonable gain PNP should work)
That looks pretty cool. I think I might build my own fuzz when I finish my strat project.
you are a master electritian
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
btw, remember guys, just like with any other circuit, if your values deviate a little, the circuit will still work, and will sound different (maybe better)

for example, the 2.2 uF could be changed to.... 2 uF, and you'll have a larger high pass bandwidth. Change the 20 uF to 22 uF? You'll be bleeding off the high frequencies.
yeah, by messing with the input/output caps you can really tweak the sound a lot (as fuzzfaces have an overly fat low end which can make it very hard to use in a band setup)

to make it a more of a treble booster by changinh the 2.2uF cap to something like 0.01uF instead. You can use sockets for the transistors so then you can mess with things like this to your content (or test it on breadboard and mess with things like this before you make the real thing)

observe this for example: http://runoffgroove.com/multiface.html
Last edited by seljer at May 27, 2006,
Quote by greenbox
Here's what you'd need

2 - 1/4" jacks (input/output)
1 - Enclosure
1 - Power source (battery or wall DC source)

Resistors
1 - 33k
1 - 8.2k
1 - 330 or 470
1 - 100k

Pots
1 - 500k
1 - 1k

Caps
1 - 2.2 uF
1 - 20 uF
1 - 0.1 uF

Transistors
2 - PNP (not sure what kind, but any reasonable gain PNP should work)

I'll add on this:
2.2m-Add this to the input so that it's less likely that the switch will click when used with other effects.
And for the jacks you need one stereo one, and one mono one so that the power will turn off when you unplug it. Also, I like having a 9v battery.
For the pot too, I reccomend one of these:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=462
It will give better control of the gain, but its not super important, any 1k pot will do.
Enclosure-Whatever you want, but I reccomend something metal so not too much radio will leak in.

Want me to draw a new diagram with all these suggested mods?

If you'd like I can draw
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

For the pot too, I reccomend one of these:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=462
It will give better control of the gain, but its not super important, any 1k pot will do.

its just the same as a regular 1kohm log pot, just in the other direction (its just a matter of will your maximum gain be on 0 or be on 10). The actual taper of control will be the same (unless you wire it the wrong way, in which case you'll probably notice that i'll go from 0 to 10 in barely any movement and otherwise it will barely change, you only have to reverse to terminals to fix it)

You can put a 2kohm in there if you want more gain.
Wow, seems like a great project to do.
I'd absolutely love to do something like this, but I know fuck all about electronics etc, easy to learn?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^You can build this even if you know nothing...it's super easy to build.
*Has an idea*
I'll look into building one.

I bought a Dunlop RI Fuzzface a while ago, I was quite disappointed with it, took it back after a week of intense playing, maybe building one to decent specs would be what I want... (Hendrix-y- Bold As Love type sound)
Don't be afraid to care"

^This would be great for you...
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fftech2.gif

The parts list would be a bit different for you, but it's pretty easy to figure out.

And seljer, look at this:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/pottaper.gif
I think the pot actually has an inverse audio curve in the turn...
I know it sounds better though.
^Cheers, I'll probably be building one in the near future!
Don't be afraid to care"

Just thinking about it now: my Fuzzface sounds best on 10 anyway, it turn down the guitar volume if its every too much for you
^That is a FF type circuit, but will sound totally different if you use the 2n3904 silicon transitors.

IMO silicon fuzzes are overly harsh and just gross sounding.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^That is a FF type circuit, but will sound totally different if you use the 2n3904 silicon transitors.

IMO silicon fuzzes are overly harsh and just gross sounding.

What transistors do you reccommend?
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Ok Ill look into them, This looks very handy and I dont think it has the 2n3904 transitors.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
^True, but still, you'll probably need to buy a bunch of those guys to find a suitable set with the right leakage, etc...
I have made a distortion pedal and it took me a weeks worth of half an hour lunch times to do, I'll post up some pictures if people want, it sounds great really does wonders in front of a tube amp! They are seriously easy to build... I used 2N7000 transistors for mine cost me 10p for each one lol... germanium lol i know they're softer but still you can get 100 silicon ones for a £1 like bulk buy... :P
^Nice! Building them is pretty easy, it gets tricky when you have a problem and need to understand whats going on though.
So update.

The rubber footpad thing had been sloppily glued down, and the glue had gotten all old and started to crack and crap. I scraped off most of the old glue(this is a before pic btw) and now it's all cleaned up. Any suggestions for glue? I was thinking epoxy or some of that really hardcore spray superglue stuff...

Cleaned up a bit.

Jacks and 9v jack installed.

I've decided to add the tutorial thing once I'm all done, I think it will just be easier that way.

Peace!
you know what would be cool, a tutorial thats in english, i cant really understand whats going on with most schematics, but if theres something to look at that plainly sais, solder this to this and that to this and that, i can turn em out in no time
btw arw you doing this point to point or with a circut board?
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Last edited by Evan50150 at Jun 7, 2006,
could you possibly tell me what i would need to convert this into a bass fuzz, (around the world - RHCP type sound?) and draw out the schematic for me? and maybe if your super bored and have nothing better to do vero board (?) layout aswell?
wow, that looks really cool. I'm gunna build one of these things in the summer.
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
oh, and glue wise, yeah, use epoxy!
Quote by Robb987123Bass
How do I quote someone in my sig? If you look at mine, you'll see that I've failed

██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
Epoxy will hold it on until the cows come home, of course. However, you may want to remove the pad in the future, so I would not reccomend it.
I'll just put a bit of superglue around the edges of the pad then, its pretty easy to pop up the pad with a knife.

And for wiring, I'm probably going to go etched PCB, but I can wire one up on perfboard too if you guys want to see a tut for perfboard wiring, which is the most practical for n00bs. And I'm sure there is a FF vero layout somewhere, try www.aronnelson.com/gallery/

1337 germanium trannies(god I'm a nerd)

And yeah, I can work out a bass fuzz mod.
how bout that tutorial?

EDIT: do the transistors have to be germanium pr can they be ne kind of the PNP style
Quote by blinnk16
Thanks epacers, that was a load of help.

Quote by gnarly_
I respect you man...Your going on my people who dont suck list...
Last edited by epacers7 at Jun 11, 2006,
I just layed out the fuzzface along the schematic when I built it on perfboard. Its a simple circuit.

as for the bass fuzz: it'll should let in all the bass frequencies you need on the input side without too many problems (its got a fat low end for guitar too)
not sure on the output capacitor, change it to something larger if needed to let more bass through (I think something around .1uF should let everything through)

if you don't want to use germanium transistors you could try this:
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/axisfacesi.html

socket the input and output capacitors and mess around till you get the right amound of bass/treble coming through (I'd try to figure out the numbers for where the frequencie rolloff occurs but my math aint working today)

or for a pretty cool fuzzbox for bass (and guitar) try this thing: http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html
Last edited by seljer at Jun 11, 2006,
Page 1 of 3