Page 1 of 2
I need my amp to sound louder without the tone getting way to disgustingly distorted. I have a fender twin amp which can produce 100 watts of all tube so I know thats way more than enough to sound louder. The reason I need it louder is because my drummer in my band plays very loudly and I cannot hear what I play. I also have a gibson les paul standard and use a jeckyl and hyde ultimate overdrive pedal which has an overdrive channel and a distortion channel and can also be mixed. On the pedal you can change the tone, drive, volume, and EQ (only on distortion channel). So basically I need to know how to get a good sound that is loud and that I can play live to without the high pitched squeeling that is produced from the treble or without the distortion getting too distorted. I basically want to keep my same tone that I have on the amp when it is not as loud.
wait you have 100 watts of all tube power and you drummer is still louder. turn your volume up or tell him to play with his hands
play with lots of mids, but then again thatll change ur tone.... but you'll cut through much better
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Im pretty sure that its imposible for your drummer to be louder than your 100w TUBE amp. Does he like break his snare every time he hits it or something? Your amp should sound better at higher volumes since its tube, it shouldnt sound worse. Maybe try without your Jekyll and Hyde so you can see if it sounds better, and then add the pedal in.
well like the thing is that i can go louder but it sounds like crap and sometimes the treble makes the amp like squeel really high. and like if i turn down the treble it ruins my tone. the thing is that i cant turn my amp up passed like volume 4 or 5 without the amp squeeling. and even then its pretty damn loud.
Adjust the settings on your pedal once you set the amp higher.
Quote by BumOffBarney
And everyone in this thread, get a life. With the exception of trexgrinder or something like that
Quote by sHrEdDiNgMDnEsS
well like the thing is that i can go louder but it sounds like crap and sometimes the treble makes the amp like squeel really high. and like if i turn down the treble it ruins my tone. the thing is that i cant turn my amp up passed like volume 4 or 5 without the amp squeeling. and even then its pretty damn loud.

dont stand so close to your amp, get a longer cable lol
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Try setting your pedal farther away from your amp too..I know your pedal probably doesn't have a tube in it, but I have an RP-14d and the tube in it causes my amp to squeal at high volumes if it sits too close...Just a thought
alright thanks guys! but uh last question? about how far away is far enough? for the pedal and for me standing?
yea i had a problem with squeeling in my old Roland Cube 60. Thats why I returned it, but you probably just have to stand farther away and either turn your guitar volume down, or mute the bridge and around the 12th fret when you arent playing.
if u need more headroom then get a clean boost......i think thats what your saying
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Get a longer cable, and get a noise supressor....it's a must....It will kill any noise or squelling, especially when at higher volumes!

The ISP Noise Decimator is easily the best! Keeps tone intact 100%.

Also, check the settings on your overdrive. And, are you using the ovedrive or distortion part of the pedal? For tube amps, you should be using the overdrive.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Also, check the settings on your overdrive. And, are you using the ovedrive or distortion part of the pedal? For tube amps, you should be using the overdrive.

the overdrive isnt heavy enough and it isnt the sound i want. the sound i want is in my distortion. is that bad in any way?
Well I don't know, I haven't heard of anyone using a Fender for metal or shred... Maybe get a different amp?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
i only have one thing to say

YOU HAVE ONE KICK ASS DRUMMER!

you can also mic the amp.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
tell your drummer to not play so loud. he may be making you sound like crap because hes overriding your mix even if you can still hear your amp well.

not sure why an all tube amp would sound worse when turned up. doesn't make much sense. it should sound smoother and more appealing.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned this yet, but this really sounds like bad tubes. That would explain the squealing (probably microphonics) and it not being loud enough. Also, how high are you turning the gain on that jekyll and hyde? try turning it down or off and then see if it happens.
i have a 60 watt amp and only need it on three and that's sometimes to loud. my drummer even broke a symbal while playing and we can just hear him
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
Quote by OneHappyCamper
Well I don't know, I haven't heard of anyone using a Fender for metal or shred... Maybe get a different amp?

Im not using it for metal or shred. Im using it for my hardcore/emo/alternative band. And i want that kind of sound.
Okay, then try to see if your tubes are shot. I heard somewhere that if they're as good as gone, they'll glow a tiny blue glow, and if they're alright, you'll get a healthy orange glow.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Um either mic the amp at a low volume or turn it up and play with the EQ until you get the tone you want. If you are scooping the mids, be prepared to add more mid as your volume goes up to balance the sound more.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Might aswell change the valves, nothing to lose really (except money...), and might solve the problem.
And if that's not the problem, when you turn the amp up, turn your pedal's gain down a bit.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Are you telling me that your drummer can overpower your 100watt aMP!!

Wow, looks like he should play with toothpicks
its probably bad tubes...when your turning your amp up more its overdriving the tubes even more...and if there bad i'd imagine it wouldn't be a good sound coming out since you'd be pushing bad tubes over the edge...probably why your getting the feedback.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Okay well so far you all have suggested a compressor, a boost pedal, and tubes. which should i get? it would be helpful to tell me which ones i need and what kind i should get or tell me if i dont even need any of it. That would be much appreciated.
oh yeah and i just got the amp like last october. is that enough times to ruin your tubes? they glowed blue when i first turned them on. i dont know if thats just something fenders do or if those are bad tubes?
bring it to a local music store so you can be SURE what the problem is.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Yea its bad tubes go to www.eurotubes.com to buy new tubes.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by sHrEdDiNgMDnEsS
alright thanks guys! but uh last question? about how far away is far enough? for the pedal and for me standing?

Mabye a 25 ft cable from the guitar to the pedal, and a 10 or 15 foot from the pedal to the amp.
okay then now what tubes are the best? and im also thinking about getting a compressor if that will help but i need to know which one is the best? and one last question. is it necessary that i get a new amp? i mean is it not that good to play distorted tones over a fender all tube?
^You'll need an effect pedal to get more distortion.
Please stop double posting too.

And I'l guessing its a tube issue, and I doubt a compressor will work.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by The Master Plan
Yea its bad tubes go to www.eurotubes.com to buy new tubes.

Bah, don't do that, at least not right away. The guy is a distributor for JJ tubes, so he's not exactly going to give you an unbiased opinion or necessarily have what's truly best for you. Go to www.tubestore.com. If you read reviews and think JJs are the best for you, then see what kind of price the guy at eurotubes can give you.

BTW - most people have a hard time hearing themselves when they play with other musicians. That's why monitors exist
Hi, I'm Peter
are JJ tubes the best? i dont know which ones i need? i dont really know that much about tubes. I just know that my amp has four, which seem like similar, fender tubes.
Page 1 of 2