hey, im looking into buying a telecaster. i played an american at sam ash and it was amazing, but its a little out of my price range. on the other hand, the standard telecaster is pretty affordable for me.

is their really a huge difference btwn the american and the standard besides where they are made? is it worth the extra 500-700 bucks to get an american telecaster?

what do you guys think
Dillion Les Paul Goldtop Copy (seymore duncan soapbars)
Toneworks AX3000G guitar processor
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack
Squier Stratocaster (backup)
Peavey StudioPro 50
Fender Frontman 15
CarloRobelli Acoustic
Early 70's Carlos acoustic
There are ofcourse some differences, but personally I don't think the american ones are worth all the extra money.
if you were to search the forums, you would find that this question has been answered before.

However, to answer it again, american models use better quality woods, and the body is made of roughly 3 pieces(on average), where as the mexicans/koreans use 5 or 6 pieces of wood on the body of lower quality. The necks on an american use a double action truss rod which is "better" than the single action truss rod used in mexicans.

However, if you are truely serious about getting a telecaster, look at the highway 1 series from fender. They are a lot cheaper but they are also made in america. Another option would be to buy a mexican telecaster and upgrade the body (warmoth.com has finished bodies in thier showcase made of VERY high quality woods)

I hope that helps you out.
Quote by vampwizzard

However, to answer it again, american models use better quality woods, and the body is made of roughly 3 pieces(on average), where as the mexicans/koreans use 5 or 6 pieces of wood on the body of lower quality. The necks on an american use a double action truss rod which is "better" than the single action truss rod used in mexicans.

My mexican strat has two-piece body, and my korean telecaster has a three-piece body.
I can see some imperfections in the wood of my tele; but nothing on my strat.

Single action trussrods had been working fine for telecasters for 40 years before the double action trussrod was introduced; so, IMO, it's still working fine.
I have a lite ash tele, it's made in korea. However, because it is left in a natural wood finish, you can just about make out how many pieces it is made of. Mine is only 2. (you can only tell when you look very closely) Some are made of 3, but these guitars are only about £50 more than the standards, and if those guitars are really made of 6 pieces like vampwizzard said, then perhaps the lite ash teles are worth a look.
Quote by bouncingbassist
I have a lite ash tele, it's made in korea. However, because it is left in a natural wood finish, you can just about make out how many pieces it is made of. Mine is only 2. (you can only tell when you look very closely) Some are made of 3, but these guitars are only about £50 more than the standards, and if those guitars are really made of 6 pieces like vampwizzard said, then perhaps the lite ash teles are worth a look.

That's the tele I have; it's a three-piece (not like the difference between two and three pieces is noticeable).
^Thats been needed for a while now.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by mr_hankey
There are ofcourse some differences, but personally I don't think the american ones are worth all the extra money.

With a pickup change and some wearing in, a MIM Tele is just as good as an American. I have an MIM and I've played countless MIA's. And all Teles are built like tanks.

To make a Tele amazing:
- Get graphite saddles
- Put a Lil' 59'er in the Bridge
- Put a thin piece of wood in the neck pocket to make the neck have a (I'm forgetting the term, but basicallt it slants towards you like a Les Paul neck as opposed to straight or away from you). This really makes the action a lot better and makes it a better overall lead guitar.
Last edited by Cadd99 at May 27, 2006,