Well mate what kinda music do you play?

For blues or Classic Rock:
*Fender '65 Reissue Deluxe Reverb (22 watts, all tube, fantastic clean and mild OD tones) - $1976 AUD
* Vox AC30 (30 watts, all tube, amazing cleans)

For Classic Rock/Modern Rock or Metal:
*(Marshall TSL601 JCM2000 (60watts, all tube, never played one myself but probably a great lead tone, "classic marshall" methinks)

Somewhere in between those three:
*Fender DeVille (60 watts, either 4x10 speakers or 2x12 speakers, clean tone not as great as the Deluxe Reverb and lead tone not as great as the Marshall but pretty damn good nonetheless - quite versatile)

Thats pretty much the only tube ones I can think of between 1500 and 2000...help us help you though, what kidna music do you play? what is your current amp? what kinda geetar do you have? etc.

EDIT: sorry, posted that before I saw the other posts.
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
I'm not buying a Fender. Should have made that clear now. I have had no good experiences with ****ing fender amps.

Anyway, i'm looking for myself and friend who also wants to upgrade. I have an RG570, play Death, Black and Thrash Metal, atm I have a Behringer AC112. I don't care what anyone says, it kicks ass. Beautiful tone. My friends are jealous actually. One thing I definitely need to upgrade though is my Behringer dist pedal to a Metal Zone.

My friend has some Fender 65 watter (sad to say, it's a biatch) and an LTD M-50. I know he has to upgrade both, but he needs an amp more. Trust me on that. Through my amp, there's not much difference between mine and his guitar. Oh and we play pretty much the same styles of music.
Long story short, i'm just looking for a tube amp, so don't suggest other stuff.

Oh and what's the thought on Laneys? I've seen some pretty cheeeep all tube half stacks on eBay? I know nothin' about 'em though. Laneys that is.
^Man if I could go for a used Mark IV I would, but even then that's out of my price range.
Well yeah, I have to disagree with you about Fender. IMO they are the best (non-boutique) amp makers. Agree to disagree.

For you though, either the Traynor that azn_guitarist25 was talking about, or this Marshall

That alone will give you a really meaty distortion sound, but if I were you I'd fatten up the amps natural distortion with a tubescreamer instead of a metal-zone. A distortion pedal like the Metal Zone can take away some of the "tubeyness" of an amp like that Marshall or the Traynor. An overdrive pedal though, will fatten it up nicely and give you a sweet lead tone.
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
or if you are willling to you could drop 650 for a damage control demonizer/womanizer and give it real tube sounds
how much is that in American bucks?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
probably still wont matter mexican as we always get ripped off on shipping and the likes of that
Hey well it all depends on how much I spend. I'll probably go with eBay. But right now I can't see myself spending $650 on a pedal. The TS will be fine. Oh and Jase, I only meant I wanted the MT2 for my current amp. Not a permanant thing.

Been to Kosmic azn? I finally got round to going there. The SV Standard was a beautiful thing to behold the second I walked in there
****, you got to the sv standard before i did. and yeh ive been there but havent been there for 6/7 months been trying to not spend money so i can save up for some gear. how was the playability on the sv standard i heard that sound centre always had a sv standard long before kosmic got there model
how expensive are peavey's over there?
^^They had two, but the Black one had a big "SOLD" sign on it

Anyway, I only strummed a few chords on it. I was getting bad looks. And yea Sound Center has had the SV for quite a while. Even their smaller store in Garden City has real ESP's.

But I gotta say, the highlight of my visit was the magnetic field around the Dual Rectifier. You just can't escape!
http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/peavey/index.htm take a look yourself

edit: ^should of played some classical pieces and see how many weird looks you get, or you could play c.o.b and headbang either your gonna get weird looks. dual rectifier you say maybe i shall pay kosmic a visit once i get my zvex pedal
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at May 27, 2006,
Ah too bad. the JSX sounded it like it was perfect for ya. Great cleans and OD's. And WTF is up with the 6505+ and the 6505 differnece
^^Triple too. But it was buried beneath a sea of amps.

Doesn't the 6505+ have an extra channel? I may be wrong.
Just go to the vault room. That's where the dual is, and there's never really any people in there.
Quote by Sn^ke
^^Triple too. But it was buried beneath a sea of amps.

Doesn't the 6505+ have an extra channel? I may be wrong.

the triples cleans are average.

extra preamp tube. But no way to justify that price differnece.
I definitely know how that magnetic field works....it was that field that got me to lay out $1600 for the dual recto.

From the prices on that link, it looks like you would be able to afford a Peavey XXX combo (it's cheaper than the head by a few hundred)....it would do all you need without any pedals.
yea. its abotu the only thing. Damn you guys get ripped off bad. But you have ormsy
We're still paying for stealing rich peoples bread in England a hundred years ago. ...wait, i'm not aussie! What the hell..!
engl screamer?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sn^ke
Extra Channel. But also not justifying the price.

Nah, its got an extra EQ, it still has two channels, but you get two seperate EQs for the Rhythm and Lead (They dont have a 'clean' channel but their rhythm can be used as cleans)

And IMO a 5150 is one of the best bang-for-your-buck metal amps out there. period.

So I'd definitely suggest a 5150 combo (used if possible) or a triple xxx if you're into a brighter, less 'heavy' sort of tone. I hear its good for that or mimicing a recto, I personally didn't give it more than two tries at the store, I couldn't find anything I liked about it..

I'm not entirely sure about ENGL, because they're expensive as fock.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 27, 2006,
^ yeah, but in oz they might be a similar price. they are here. Of course, if australia has similar pricing to the USA, the 5150 will be cheaper.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd think it would be similar to the USA (More expensive) due to availability. The only reason they're cheaper in europe is because you guys are all right next to eachother, whereas you have to shipt hem across the ocean to get to the states or to AUS.
^ yeah.

they both have to be shipped quite a distance to australia, though.

I seem to remember from old threads that the screamer was around $2000 AUS. just about under budget. I have no clue what the 5150's/6505's go for over there.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, i figured aussie stuff would be dear. I mean, it's about 3000 miles from anywhere, everything (bar stuff made there) has to be shipped in...

It's just plain hard luck, and there's not very much you can do about it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?