Well, I've been going on a frenzy of buying new gear for my rig to get it as metal as I can [Maxon OD9, ceramic Warpigs, Peavey XXX, etc.] and now I was thinking of re-tubing my amp. The Peavey delivers great tones, but I know if I change the tubes, I can bring it to life more and bring out it's full tone!

Now, I was reading into some threads and I hear there are some tubes that are more suited towards gain? I was wondering which companies offered some good variations of these tubes? So far I'm interested in EL34's, just due to all the great reviews. If anyone else can suggest something that may interest me, help a brother out! Thanks a lot.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
What kind of a metal tone are you looking for?

If you want a very heavy thumpy tone, you'll want to stay with 6L6 tubes. I hear JJ's from eurotubes.com do wonders for the XXX.

EL-34s will change the tone drastically....it will be more crunchy....think Marshall.

As the XXX is pretty bright to start with, I think the JJ 6L6's would be perfect for it!

Go ahead and swap preamp and power amp tubes.
As far as the tone I'm going for, I guess you could just call it modern metal . Think, rip your face off distortion . From the words "heavey" and "thumpy" I think I'll enjoy the 6L6's 'cause I play with a lot of bottom end.

I actually read most of the information of re-tubing an XXX off a thread you made, ibanez . I believe you had the same Peavey as me, so one question... how many tubes did you need? Did it end up being 5? Thanks!
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112