I know your supposed to let your preamp warm up for 5 mins, atleast but
after you switch to power, should you turn your preamp (warmup) switch to off or just leave it on while you play?
leave it on im not sure about the ins and out of a tube amp cause im new to them aswel.
Equipment:

Schecter 007 BlackJack
schecter c7 hellraiser
ibanez k7
Krank Revolution one stack
Tech 21 Trademark 30
Digitech Whammy Pedal
tech 21 killer wail
pre-amp switch?

what are you talking about?

most tube amps have a power and stand by. to turn a tube amp on, it goes like this.

both power, and stand-by are off. turn the power on and let the amp warm up for about a minute or so. then turn the stand-by on.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
ya by preamp i ment standby and i thought your supposed to turn standby on first to let the preamps warm up? am i wrong? and then when you switch to power do you leave the standby on or off?
I thought it was:

1) Make sure the standby switch is on
2) Turn the power on
3) Leave for a few mins
4) Turn off the standby
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Let's say before you turn the amp on, both switches are in the off position. You turn the power amp on first. Let it warm up. Then you turn the standby switch on. Now, if you didn't hear sound when the standby switch was off, why would you turn it on and then turn it off again and still expect to hear sound? But honestly: It's 2 switches with two settings: A total of 4 possibilities. If you can't figure out power switching for yourself, you're an idiot.
Hi, I'm Peter
THe thing that always gets me is on many amps, when you switch the standby on your actually turning the amp on. Marshalls and Mesa's i've played the standby has to be to the off position to actually be in standby.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
ok, here's how it goes

• Your amp is OFF, standby doesn't matter right now.
  • You want to play, turn standby ON, this way when you turn your amp on, it'll essentially be muted.
  • Now turn your amp ON, both standby and the power should be ON.
  • Wait a little (5 min is a bit excessive, I usually wait about 30 sec, 1 min max)
  • Turn standby OFF.
  • You can play.

And if you ask me, it would've been alot easier to know what to do if you replace the word standby with mute.
^

That's how an explanation should be written.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^^^On Marshalls and Mesas the Standby has to be to the on postition so the amp can be played. If it's switched to off, no sound comes through.

On JCM's Power On and Standby On are both the up postition, both switches have to be on the up postition for the amp to make sound.

Quote by Dirk Gently
Let's say before you turn the amp on, both switches are in the off position. You turn the power amp on first. Let it warm up. Then you turn the standby switch on. Now, if you didn't hear sound when the standby switch was off, why would you turn it on and then turn it off again and still expect to hear sound? But honestly: It's 2 switches with two settings: A total of 4 possibilities. If you can't figure out power switching for yourself, you're an idiot.

ya dude dont be a dick im not an idiot and its about saving your tubes and keeping your tube head working properly, you let your amp warm up on standby first, I just wanted to know after you switch it to power if you turn your standby off, so **** you
^^^ (guy above funky) my XXX and every other tube amp i've played hasn't worked that way.

step 1: amp is off, both switches are facing the ground
step 2: turn power ON (facing the celing) this alows a low-medium voltage current into the amp
step 3: wait for a minute or so to allow the electric current to gradualy gain strength.
step 4: when tubes are warm, turn the standby ON (facing the celing). the amp is now running at full voltage and sound can be heard.

optional step 5: when you want to stop playing for a few seconds up to about 10 minutes (any longer go ahead and turn the amp compleatly off), turn the stand-by OFF, or facing the ground. that again mutes the amp and reduces the strength of the electric current running through the amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

actually, did you know that if you had a tube rectifier, you don't REALLY need a standby switch?
(most tube rectified amps anyways)

If your amp has a tube rectifier, then a standby switch is basically for muting purposes.
^ but usually daul/tripple recto's are run on solid state rectification mode. better for metal/hard rock, which is what the majority of people who play mesa's want.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Oh, yeah, sorry about that.

It really depends on how they label it
Here's how it's labeled on mine:

Here's what I'm talking about

In this picture of a JCM2000 power switch, ON is the bottom postition for both Power and Standby

Now in this picture, both switches are in the same position, while the amp is being played.

Now go up to any JCM and set both the Power and Standby to ON and the amp will make sound.

Quote by Mushok413
ya dude dont be a dick im not an idiot and its about saving your tubes and keeping your tube head working properly, you let your amp warm up on standby first, I just wanted to know after you switch it to power if you turn your standby off, so **** you

Well, it's pretty simple. You can't play through the amp while the standby is activated, can you? Have you ever actually played through a tube amp?

And I love you too (I'm assuming that's what **** meant)
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, it really does get confusing when they change up the naming schemes across different amps.

But basically, change your standby to mute your amp, then turn the power on, then after waiting, turn your standby to unmute your amp. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

(and I still agree that mute would've been a better term to use than standby, however incorrect it may be)
^^ to dirk:
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Funky P
^^^On Marshalls and Mesas the Standby has to be to the on postition so the amp can be played. If it's switched to off, no sound comes through.

On JCM's Power On and Standby On are both the up postition, both switches have to be on the up postition for the amp to make sound.

yea, some amp company's are different.

Its amazing how complicated people make turning on an amp, jesus christ....
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

haha i was just simply wondering if you turn on the standby to warm up the tubes then turn on the power to play at that point turning the standby to off or on, just wondering. Thanks guys.
most amps is power first, then standby. consult the manual or e-mail the manufacturer if you still have a question i guess.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565