I get a buzz on the 19th fret when i play, making soloing hard. This goes away when i raise the height of the strings, but i have to raise it so much that soloing is really hard and sounds rubbish. Is there any other way to make it go away?

Also....

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

This neck is pretty warped - should i adjust the truss rod? is it beyond repair? is it the reason im getting buzzing?
Attachments:
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_0333.jpg
Warped neck usually means it's gone, FUBARed.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
no it was a cheap copy, cant afford a new one though......

im assuming there is absolutely nothing i can do then? no adjustments would make it more playable?
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at May 27, 2006,
Thats pretty bad. Usually it means it's trashed.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
oh dear - the tune-o-matic bridge does seem higher on the left but thats because its set higher to eliminate the buzz - the neck it still warped but perhaps not as much as it seems - still trashed though?

its still playable, completely.... what makes it so trashed? (out of curiosity, i agree i need a new one...)
Set you action back to where it was.

Take off the trussrod cover. LOOSEN the rod a bit -- try about 1/4 turn.

I'm not sure your neck is warped. Hard to tell from the pics. But if it was mostly
playing fine except for the buzz, a loosening of the rod will add a bit more bow
to the neck. That should allow the string to clear the fret and stop buzzing and
you won't have much diff in action.
thanks edg, ill certainly do that.

It is hard to tell from those pictures, sorry, but it is warped, perhaps only ever-so slightly, but im not knowledgable on that sort of thing so i dont know whether its bad or not

I'll do what you say and if the buzz goes and its completely playable then even if it was warped it surely would be a problem for now??
I'm sure the whole thing will eventually fall apart, but if its playable completely but warped, what is the problem??..... (serious question, not rhetorical)
The neck is at more risk for breaking. The more warped the neck gets, the more shifting of the wood, and the more likelyhood for splintering and complete breakage. Also since the wood is shifting, it's also getting weaker. Thus the more pressure you put on it, the worse the warping will get, and everything will just deteriorate.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
ok, thanks onemanarmy and edg - if i can get the buzz to go at a playable height then im not really bothered about it eventually breaking, because i will eventually be getting a better guitar anyway, i was just curious whether i needed one soon or not. If it will hold out until i can afford something nicer then all good

so does the fact its twisted not affect playing then? because when you get towards the last few frets, the strings at the low e end are further away from the fret board than those at the high E end......ok hard to explain - ill stop, if it plays ok then it plays ok i guess, not like im going to be playing infront of more than 10 people anytime soon

thanks for the help
Why are all these people like "O no its warped, its trashed now". Now by warped, do u mean actually warped, or twisted...

First off, your reference point is off.. Don't look at the bridge, compare it to body, it isn't twisted in any way it shouldnt. As for warpage, can't exactly tell by this but EDG had the right idea

Also since its an epiphone (or some other cheaper brand)... I had a friend where his 8th fret kept buzzin on his epiphpne, adjusted his neck all the time, then he found out the fret was popping out so it was just higher than all the others
its a vintage..... cheaper brand - i think its twisted (im sorry that i really dont know anything about this sort of thing, im really just a "play what feels good" kinda player, i dont take interest in technically mumbo-jumbo) - it certainly looks like its twisted, can this be fixed?
Quote by edg
Set you action back to where it was.

Take off the trussrod cover. LOOSEN the rod a bit -- try about 1/4 turn.

I'm not sure your neck is warped. Hard to tell from the pics. But if it was mostly
playing fine except for the buzz, a loosening of the rod will add a bit more bow
to the neck. That should allow the string to clear the fret and stop buzzing and
you won't have much diff in action.

is it an anti-clockwise turn to loosen?
That neck looks twisted to me. Only if you had a double truss rod, like in a Rickenbacker, would you be able to correct it. Is the neck a bolt on?
Hi, I'm Peter
nope its glued

by the way dirk, you have been posting on my amp problem thread, could this be in any way related? could it just be that the guitar got a bit worse coicidently after i used that horrid pedal, and its really just a problem with the guitar that makes it not sound as good?
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
is it an anti-clockwise turn to loosen?

Oh, I can never remember. I'm sure someone else will chime in. I think they're
all usually the same way.

The neck in the pick doesn't *look* warped to me. It does if you compare it to
the bridge, but that's not the way to look at it. If all you had was a bit of frett
buzz, perhaps it wasn't.
Maybe. Hell, it could just be that your strings are old. Heh. But if the results are that dramatic, then I doubt it. And on second look, the bridge being so tilted kind of screws up the perspective. Your neck might me *minorly* twisted, but it's seriously minor and nothing bad at all. If it's just one fret, then the easiest thing to do is go have that particular fret replaced or filed down, or have the ones in front of it worked on.
Hi, I'm Peter
ok then, thanks for all your help (its not because of strings)

ill just explore everything suggested starting with the cheapest solution until its fixed
i wasnt going to measure by inches - i was going to do a 1/4 turn...... but i cant find a tool to fit to turn it
i have no idea - i personally would have re-tuned so the newly adjusted rod could get used to the tension of fully tuned strings, but then again i could have been in tears right now with a snapped neck, picking bits of string out of my face.....

what tool did you use?
that neck is hardly warped at all, if half of you actuallt looked down the neck, most of you would see it as warped aswell.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
if its uneven frets what can i do? is it something i shud pay to leave it to the professionals or could i fix it?

that drawing is awesome - and your avatar is better! wish i could draw like that, all my slash drawings go to pot
I would leave it to a pro. They might just need to refinish the tops of the frets, rounding them off i guess, or for extreme cases have to put new frets on. I have no clue how much it would cost.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!