Is it possible to find Gibson Les Paul classics with AAA graded maple tops? Do they sometimes make lower end models with AAA or even AA maple tops for some reason? My guitar teacher said so, but im not so sure.
Yes Gibson does use lower grades on some of their cheaper guitars.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
That was not what i asked... I know that gibson studio, classic and special come with plain carved maple tops, usually. What i was wondering, was weather or not they sometimes make those same models with AAA or AA graded maple tops?
You shouldn't look by how much A's the maple's been graded...

At Gibson, the maple gets graded before it's used to make a guitar. So sometimes they end up putting AA grade maple on, say, a Standard, and the finish makes the maple flame/grain really show, I mean show so nicely that you'd say it's a superb. I think my Standard was one of these.

Reason:

Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Last edited by OneHappyCamper at May 27, 2006,
If a gibson standard cost over 2000 dollars.... couldnt they use a higher grade maple cap? if i were to pay for a 2000 dollar guitar... i would be expecting a high quality AAA maple cap... not some AA one
^ that's not how it works though lol. They use different grades for different makes because some grades are cheaper than others to buy. The higher the grade on top, the more the guitar costs (and it's actually substantially more from what I recall). As for the Classic, I don't remember if it's supposed to be AA Maple or AAA Maple on top, if it's AA standard, then there will be the odd one that comes through with AAA. If it's the other way around (AAA standard) I don't think they let the AA ones through.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I know they made Classics with flame tops for a short period of time a while ago. Not sure what grade it was- but then again who cares?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
The standard is supposed to be AA graded, while the classic is supposed to be plain maple. But my guitar reacher told me they sometimes let guitars through with higher graded maple tops that whats supposed to be there, i.e a classic with AAA maple top. Granted, he said you'd have to look quite a bit for them, but he said they are out there. So i was wondering if weather anyone knew if this was true.

Classic and studio : Plain maple

standard: AA maple

standard premium plus: AAA maple

Supreme: AAAA maple.
Quote by OneHappyCamper
You shouldn't look by how much A's the maple's been graded...

At Gibson, the maple gets graded before it's used to make a guitar. So sometimes they end up putting AA grade maple on, say, a Standard, and the finish makes the maple flame/grain really show, I mean show so nicely that you'd say it's a superb. I think my Standard was one of these.

Reason:

Is that Honeyburst? Beautiful flamed top, teh sex
Quote by CustomCustom
Is that Honeyburst? Beautiful flamed top, teh sex

It's a Iced Tea Burst. That pic makes it look like Herritage Cherry.

Here's the real color:

Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."