According to a recent Drowned In Sound report, a US radio presenter has accused the Red Hot Chili Peppers of plagiarism, claiming that the band's "Dani California" single is near identical to Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance".

Dan Gaffney, of Delaware-based WGMD, told his listeners of the similarities. Subsequently, the show's producer Jared Morris told reporters:

"The chord progression, the melody, the tempo, the key, the lyrical theme... they're identical."

To prove the point, Morris has posted an MP3 on his personal blog. Check it out at this location. Neither Petty nor the RHCP haven't commented yet.

As previously reported, Red Hot Chili Peppers sold 157,000 copies of their Warner Bros. double-disc "Stadium Arcadium," enough to lead teh Billboard 200 chart for a second week.

wow, at first i didnt belive it, but i listened to the mp3 sample and its very true, its a shame tom petty gets no respect, but hes such a great musican, the source is ug news section
check the other threads here about all this
Quote by Johnljones7443
She looks like Rusty Cooley with tits.

Three other forums of the exact same nature.

And the news on the front page of UG

Here
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
I think it's bull****. Really c'mon. Lets analyze what the similaraties:

Same kind of prgression. Played differently
States are mentioned in the first verse.
And the drum beat is kinda the same. I mean it fits, but its not the exact same drum beat that Petty used.

And funny that this guy only tried this on the first minute of both songs, if they were the same he'd have no trouble to do the entire songs and then they'd be the same length and would layer over each other perfectly.

And Petty is a very respected musician and songwritter, maybe not talked about very much. Butthe respect is there nonetheless.
Yea...that was a totally bull**** accusation...they talk about states...bu tthe overall meaning of the songs is completely different.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
RHCP just bore me to tears, and probably themselves, which is why they've literally ripped off another artists song. The funniest thing about the entire thing is that Dani California is still a crap song, and is a fair representation of the crapness that RHCP produce.

I'm not saying they're not talented, but I think their well has dried up, they need to move on, or they'll die out. Either suits me.

I imagine this'll irritate RHCP fans, but hey, it's my opinion. RHCP have done some pretty good songs, but Petty has made some amazing songs, and there's more of them too. In fact, I don't think Tom Petty has made a bad record, and as for RHCP's version of Subterreanean Homesick Blues... I can only say, WHY?! They butchered that song pretty well!

Anyway, my rant is complete... even if I did go a little off topic.
I heard them perform the song on SNL, and personally I thought the progression almost completely matched up with "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and I really just tuned it out.

Of course this thing happens all of the time, like Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" is a blatant rip off of Golden Earring's "Radar Love"
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
I guess so... but you would've thought they'd think... "Hey, let's try and change it so we don't sound like Tom Petty."

Oh well...
how should we believe they ripped off petty? that song wasn't very famous and I STRONGLY doubt that anyone in RHCP is a big Petty fan.
Quote by rayIII
how should we believe they ripped off petty? that song wasn't very famous and I STRONGLY doubt that anyone in RHCP is a big Petty fan.

I'm pretty sure it was really popular when it came out 10+ years ago. Probably a top 10 actually.
It's a chord progression. People use the same chord progressions all the time.

That being said, I prefer Tom Petty's song, but I see nothing wrong with the RHCP one.