guitar - squire strat

it seems almost impossible to do a simple bend on the first string E (the smaller one)... the kinda bend where you are bending the string away from yourself is what i'm trying to do.

it could be the neck since i have taken it off once just for a peak. but, no-one says anything about my neck when they play it.. could it be something else?
You mean bend the pitch down?
You can't really do it much on the high e, same as you can't raise the pitch much on the low E
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by JKabliK
guitar - squire strat

it seems almost impossible to do a simple bend on the first string E (the smaller one)... the kinda bend where you are bending the string away from yourself is what i'm trying to do.

it could be the neck since i have taken it off once just for a peak. but, no-one says anything about my neck when they play it.. could it be something else?

No. You can't bend the high E downwards without it falling of the side of the
neck. In general you'd bend the E, B and G strings upwards.
Quote by edg
In general you'd bend the E, B and G strings upwards.

I bend the G and B down... there's plenty of room on the fretboard. I also tend to stay away from bending the high E (upward) simply because it rarely sounds good, imho.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

I bend E, G and B up as it helps with soloing on alot of scales.
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
Quote by Armored Artist
I bend the G and B down... there's plenty of room on the fretboard. I also tend to stay away from bending the high E (upward) simply because it rarely sounds good, imho.

Really? Oh my!

I do lots and lots of high E bends. Don't see how you couldn't for most rock &
blues tuff.

I never bend the B downwards. I think even a whole step bend would fall off the
edge.

Sometimes I'll bend the G down. All depends how I feel. Mostly it's up though.
It would be downright impossible to do some of the standard licks by always
bending G down.
Quote by Hypnot1st
You mean bend the pitch down?
You can't really do it much on the high e, same as you can't raise the pitch much on the low E

thank you for answering the question without being a smart ass about it...
All you touch and all you see
is all your life will ever be
I guess it comes down to style and technique.

I find that the high E sounds a bit wimpy when bent. I prefer the timbre of B and G for bending.

Also, upward bends feel a bit akward to me. They seem to interupt the flow of notes whenever I do them. A disturbance in the Force they cause.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by JKabliK
thank you for answering the question without being a smart ass about it...

heh. Well, I really don't think he answered your question. Maybe he didn't under-
stand it. You can't bend ANY string's pitch down (unless you use the whammy).
You can bend ALL strings up in pitch.
Quote by Armored Artist
I guess it comes down to style and technique.

I find that the high E sounds a bit wimpy when bent. I prefer the timbre of B and G for bending.

Also, upward bends feel a bit akward to me. They seem to interupt the flow of notes whenever I do them. A disturbance in the Force they cause.

I would call that downright odd, but if that's what works for ya....

Still, I'd advise you to figure out why you find it awkward. Because I think it's
pretty limiting.