Hey, I'm hopefully gonna find somewhere that stocks the Vox amps, but until then, I thought I'd gather a few opinions here.

I would like a valve amp but I've realised I could only really fully benefit from this if I was gigging pretty reguarly, which I'm not.

I currently have a Cube 60 and have since learnt these beat the Vox's at everything except metal. Now I barely play any metal whatsoever, I do however like a saturated, thick lead tone (bare that in mind).

So without trying out a Vox properly (I have had a couple of minutes on it) can anyone tell me if it's worth selling my Cube and buying a Vox?

I'm increasingly playing quite a bit of clean stuff - some funk, and blues, etc. Plus the usual - rock, classic, punk, etc. I play quite a bit on Indie and am playing this sorta thing in my band at the moment (Strokes, Kings of Leon, Oasis, Futureheads, We Are Scientists, etc.) And as I mentioned before, I'm after a nice thick lead tone when I'm in that kinda mood.

There's a couple of things I've noticed on the Vox that appeals to me:
- Adjustable wattage
- Can get a (pretty cheap) pedal which switches between patches, i.e. I could set up rhythm and lead patches and switch between them.
- Nice retro design

Lastly, if I'm gonna down the Vox Valvetronix root, would I be better off saving for an AD60?

Sorry it turned out so long.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
go for it, i have'nt read any of that because im too lazy but you should do whatever you want to do
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
I've heard the AD60's are quite a bit better (more models etc), and they look a lot nicer...

But weren't you gonna' get a valve amp?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
"I would like a valve amp but I've realised I could only really fully benefit from this if I was gigging pretty reguarly, which I'm not. "

I've considered it, tried a few out and have not been too impressed (at low volumes) and I've heard to get THE sound from a valve amp, you've pretty much gotta push the valves.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Danno13
My AD60 is VERY nice.

Have you compared it to valve amps? How does it sound at gigging volumes?

I'm curious as to what Vox have to offer after reading that article on epinions that someone posted in another thread a few days ago. Basically they did a blind test with various modelling amps on the market and valve amps, and the results showed that just by listening, the valve amps couldn't be distinguished (sp.).

Now I know alot about playing through a valve amp is the feel of it (i.e. your pick attack) but nevertheless, the results definitely mean something.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I haven't directly compared it, no. It's obviously not on par with your typical "gigging" tube amps (JCM900, Traynor YCV50, etc) but it's amazingly versatile. It holds up at high volumes MUCH better than a standard solid-state, but it doesn't get that cool tube breakup very easily.
Quote by SamDking
Have you compared it to valve amps? How does it sound at gigging volumes?

I'm curious as to what Vox have to offer after reading that article on epinions that someone posted in another thread a few days ago. Basically they did a blind test with various modelling amps on the market and valve amps, and the results showed that just by listening, the valve amps couldn't be distinguished (sp.).

Now I know alot about playing through a valve amp is the feel of it (i.e. your pick attack) but nevertheless, the results definitely mean something.

In the vox advt series, most amp models react to picking attack. For example I dont remember on which amp model, but if I would play gently it would be not very distorted but then if I attack then id get a big distorted sound and everything between.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
AD60VT is $700 for the 1x12 combo.

It is also nothing like the other ADVT series(the 15,30,50 etc) the amps models are more accurate, and uses two tubes as opposed to one. Also many many more models and pedal models included aswell.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
So a couple of questions:

1) Would it be worth it based on my situation to "upgrade" from a 'metal' Cube to an 'all-round' Vox AD?
2) Is the Vox AD60VT worth the extra £160?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Funky P
AD60VT is $700 for the 1x12 combo.

I got mine for 550 Euros. So, about $600.

Anyway, Sam: I highly recommend getting the 60, it's great. But if you're selling the cube to fund it, get an EQ pedal as well- the Recto setting really needs FX-loop equalization to be all it can be, but once you get it right it's a kickass metal tone.
Quote by Danno13
I got mine for 550 Euros. So, about $600.

550EUR = exactly $700USD

THe footswitch control circuit is so simple, any footswitch can actually work with it.

Are the bigger footswitches worth it? They seem to offer a lot in terms of controlling the effects, etc. I guess it depends on how much I'm playing live, doesn't it?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
they are only worth it if you have the AD60/120 series. Even then its kinda overkill unless you plan on switching amp models and effects like crazy.

I don't have a footswitch, but to be honest, it's not worth the $200 or whatever for the full-function one. The onboard effects are good, but it's not worth spending extra just to turn 'em on and off when you could get one or two great single FX for the same price.
hey, i bought the VC-12 foot controller when i got my AD60 (which i love) and to be honest, i kinda regret it, it does much more than i need and it's HUGE! and heavy. The VC-4 probably would have suited me better as im not really gigging or anything

and btw, you can NOT use the VFS-2 (http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66976) with the AD60 and 120 models
Last edited by Guitar_thingy at May 27, 2006,
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm gonna see if I can try out an AD60 soon.

Anything else I should know about it?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Well, I only have an AD15VT, but it does everything I need, except Pantera. The cleans are ****in great, and the inbuilt effects are great considering. I'll never look back!