My dad has this old Les Paul style guitar in his attic. Just wondering if anyone has heard of Eros? Like who they were or what the guitars were like?

PS. Sorry about the stupidly big pictures, i hadn't quite realised.
Quote by Aftter-Forever
POLKA DOTS?!?!
well, that changes EVERYTHING!!!
no but i do know Eros is the greek word for 'sexual love'
so lets hope they play like the name suggests haha
Dude, Eros was the Greek God of Love.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
I can't find info on it...How's that beauty sound though?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by HardAttack
Dude, Eros was the Greek God of Love.

Yeah but its sexual love as well. There were four types of love, agape, eros and two others. Yay I actually know something
All I can find on 'Eros' was that it was a Japanese Guitar company that existed back in the 1960's and 70's.

http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_japanese_eros.htm seems to be the only relevant link, although I can't see ANY of those pictures without some kind of admin login and pass. Stupid website. The pictures are from a 'Rosetti' catalog. Anyone heard of this?
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Voldragon
Yeah but its sexual love as well. There were four types of love, agape, eros and two others. Yay I actually know something

True. Aphrodite was normal love, and Eros was love & sexual intercourse.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by guitarphillip
this is a guitar forum not greek mythology

Piss off, it's relevant to the name.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at May 27, 2006,
Eros are apparantly worth lots of money. Here's a link. Read customer support in the first review. This might not be the safest source, but go ask at a guitar store in your area.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Eros/Jumbo-1.html

Its a link for a jumbo acoustic review though, so maybe the les pauls aren't worth ****

Edit: On second glance, it says nothing about jumbo acoustic, only that its a review for a model called jumbo. Maybe they only made models called jumbo, and thats what you've got? If so, its worth 900 pounds lol... Lucky bastard.
Eros, Storge, Phillia and Agape

Sexual, Poessional, Brotherly and Love of God (Freegiving and not expecting a return)

thats the four types
and yeah
i agree with Danno

a Japanese LP copy from that time will possibly be one of the best available
nice find!!
Whoah, thanks for the info guys. I seriously doubt its worth much money though. It's not in the best of conditions.

For starters, she seems to want to go out of tune every few minutes and the nut has been reduced to next to nothing, so some serious buzz on the first fret. Also, the frets themselves have notches in them, so its hard to bend it in some places. The elctronics are just holding up, though she only plays on max volume on the neck pickup otherwise it just cuts it out completely. It would also seem that the tone nobs don't work either.

But man, i hope it is what you guys think it is.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention. She doesn't sound half bad really, but i can't tell at the moment becuase its late and i keep getting shouted at.

More tomorrow.

Edit Again: Found this while googling "vintage eros guitar": http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7417032083&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Made by a dubious italian company in 60s-70s. Could be a relation?
Quote by Aftter-Forever
POLKA DOTS?!?!
Last edited by Joe_Wilcox at May 27, 2006,
WOW - Someone else with an Eros Les Paul.

KEEP IT!!!!!!

I bought mine about 20 years ago when I was 13 and paid about 50quid for it in a second-hand shop.
It's the best LP I've ever played (and I've played a few over the last 20 years) including Epiphones and Gibsons and of all the guitars I've owned, it's the only one I've kept hold of.
Mines a black custom copy and it's got a really fat sound, really rich with loads of sustain. The action is sweet and the build quality fantastic. Needs a few repairs - a new nut and some new pots, but then what do you expect with a guitar that's probably the same age as me!!!

My advice it take it to your local guitar tech, get the pots replaced and a propper set-up, invest in a vintage / valve amp, plug in, crank it up load and let it rip.
I'll agree with Dom..definitely take that thing in and have it fixed up...Hopefully then it will play as good as it looks
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
Quote by Joe_Wilcox

Edit Again: Found this while googling "vintage eros guitar": http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7417032083&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Made by a dubious italian company in 60s-70s. Could be a relation?

Yeah, I've seen these, but they're actually made by a company called E-Ros and from what I can tell they only made acoustics. Our ones are definately Japanese made. I don't think the companies are related.
Last edited by Dom1172 at Jul 14, 2006,
Apologies in advance for my thread necromancy, but..
Quote by Joe_Wilcox
My dad has this old Les Paul style guitar in his attic. Just wondering if anyone has heard of Eros? Like who they were or what the guitars were like?

http://knd.org.uk/files/IMAG0003.jpg
http://knd.org.uk/files/IMAG0005.jpg
http://knd.org.uk/files/IMAG0006.jpg

PS. Sorry about the stupidly big pictures, i hadn't quite realised.

I just bought one of these off ebay for £40, it's pretty bashed up (thats why I bought it :P) and the guy said it was totally unplayable due to innotation being totaly balls'd, but I just took the neck off, cleared some crap that was under it, put it back on, whacked some new strings on and I managed to get the innotation pretty right, a little sharp on the 12th fret but then, so is my classical guitar.

I pretty much had no idea what I was doing, either

I was quite surprised when I found this thread, vintaxe.com is indeed stupid. maybe I will give them their dirty $10 just so I can share the images with the world for FREE. Bloody parasites.

On the subject of images, I don't suppose anyone who originally posted in this thread saved the pictures from the first post, which are now long gone?

Quite surprised at the amount of love this crappy old guitar seems to be getting
The elctronics are just holding up, though she only plays on max volume on the neck pickup otherwise it just cuts it out completely. It would also seem that the tone nobs don't work either.

Yeah i found one of these Eros's in our seller n was exactly the same, but i just used a little bit of wd40 on the tone controls. And check the jack socket for corrosion!

Hope this helps some!
I had an Eros 12 string acoustic that was damn terrible.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Eros... You're gonna love it (Dah-bum pshh!)

I'm waiting for the info about the sound. And pics, please.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
my friend has an old Eros les paul style guitar aswell. its in really bad shape and can hardly stay in tune., but it sounds pretty good.

has any one else got any info on these guitars?..
Eros was an Italian company making guitars in late 60's early 70's.
Check out lordbizarre's electric guitar and amp museum. he knows all about lots of guitars.
Interesting to see some new interest. And here are the original pictures:

Quote by Aftter-Forever
POLKA DOTS?!?!
my step dad has a eros dan armstrong plexiglass look-a-like so i think it is just a asian copy of some of the big brands.
I have an acoustic Eros. If anyone has any other info or a website...? please post it?
Last edited by (-K-R_O_C_K-) at Feb 21, 2009,
G'Day from Australia; I scored one of those Eros LP Custom copies from a second hand store and after a once over servicing from a pro luthier (thanks Matt) it has turned out to be magical and super awesome. It really can make a new $3000 LP feel like a cheap piece of crap. Be aware that all Eros guitars may not have the same magic though. I have seen some that do not have the badge on the headstock but a transfer decal instead and these may not be made by Matsumoku. If you find one of these fix it up and play it like you stole it because rock and roll ain't noise pollution.
I bought this guitar when i was 17 in the early 80's for £50, someone on this thread said it was worth a few bob now, why would you sell it....lol...the only problem like everyone else who has one of these is that it sounds great when you plug it in but just wont stay in tune, had all the frets changed, new nut and pots etc the guitar tech i spoke to said the body was slightlywarped and would need to grind the bridge down a bit extreme a thought...lol...so its probably best to stick it on the wall and just admire her.....
Attachments:
Eros.jpg
Dude, why bump a thread in which the last post points out this thread was necroed? And that post was more than 3 years ago?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!