I dont really have trouble makes songs, but I just want to know if any of you are in a band how do you go about creating songs?
(This is for guitarists, so no lyric help. thanks)
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Strings
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Metal_696 at May 27, 2006,
I write out my parts, lyrics, and a basic plan for the song.

Then, band members either accept my parts or create their own. In certain instances they will also change major sections, but we usually agree.
its sorta a magic that just happens, or it always has for my band. Someone pulls of a riff, and it sorta follows on from them. Also don't get to fussy. A 3 chord song can always be expanded. We didn't even have choruses in our early songs.
u cant sit down and write a song. it has to come to u. i have only wrote about 4 in 2 years but i really like them and they are worth it. mind i concentrate on covering other songs to get a wider base for when i wanna make more songs
well, for me it just sorta comes naturaly. and i pay attention in english class. but whenever im feeling a certain way, i pick up my guitar and start strumming and singing about it. i write the main ideas out and then go back over em and fillin any thing that seems neccasary. but for somepeople that can be hard, so my recomendation is listen to your favorite songs, dont pay attention to the music, only the lyrics, play around with them, come up with a song that suites you.

theres also an article about songwriting on UG somewhere. id look that up, it helped me. hope this helps
Whatever it is you do, DO NOT CLICK HERE! ! it will bring the end of the world upon us all!!!! I swear you click it, and you will end o.O
Yeah for me, and im sure of alot of other guitarists. Its hard to come up with full songs just by yourself in your room...I usually come up a with a riff or 2 and thats it. Then I I jam with my drummer and we try to build off of it.
I just made this thread cause im curious about other people's ways of making songs. And maybe better my writing process.
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Quote by RuleBreaker
well, for me it just sorta comes naturaly. and i pay attention in english class. but whenever im feeling a certain way, i pick up my guitar and start strumming and singing about it. i write the main ideas out and then go back over em and fillin any thing that seems neccasary. but for somepeople that can be hard, so my recomendation is listen to your favorite songs, dont pay attention to the music, only the lyrics, play around with them, come up with a song that suites you.

theres also an article about songwriting on UG somewhere. id look that up, it helped me. hope this helps

Oh and btw this is just for guitarists. Lol sorry I failed to mention that. thanks anyway man.
My Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960A Cab
Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
Quote by Jdwannabe
u cant sit down and write a song. it has to come to u. i have only wrote about 4 in 2 years but i really like them and they are worth it. mind i concentrate on covering other songs to get a wider base for when i wanna make more songs

I can. Some days songs just come to me, but on others, I think "I'm going to write a metal song today" and I just sit down and write. You just need to be able to sort through your ideas.
its crazy for me. they just come. usually when im not trying! and when i do try i cant do it!!

so for advice, dont think about what other people think, what bands it sounds like or doesnt sound like, or how difficult it is to play, if it sounds good to you and portrays true emotion i think you'll do well
i have a couple ways i go about it. the one way i seem to use most often is i start with a riff. if im just kinda jamming or playing by myself, i write down any good ideas i get. then i might take this riff and see what kind of key or mode it might fit into. then i try to come up with a chord progression or some other type of part to follow the riff. then i start to plan out the song a bit. so i decide where that riff will fit and where the progression i have will fit, and then decide what else i need. the riff might be a good intro and bridge, and the progression might be awesome for a verse. that leaves me needing at least a chorus and maybe another section. i work with what i have to make whatever sections i need so that they fit, then i put the song together by arranging how the parts will go in a structure. if there are any gaps, i fill them. then i step back for a bit, and come back to the song with a fresh mind to do a bit of editing. this seems to work well enough most of the time.

the other thing i do takes a bit more effort but i think it can make better songs. i come up with a basic structure and idea first, before writing any music. then i come up with a basic structure for each part. then i start to work on each part and the connections. so lets say i decide to write a more mellow song that starts off very easy with just guitar then picks up some for a second verse, gets a bit heavier feeling for a chorus, goes back to the second type of verse, etc. i might decide, that the beginning is going to be picked chord shapes in open position, then first verse will be a mix of picking and strumming these open chords. second verse might be all strumming and chorus might get a bit of overdrive. this gives you a definite plan and you know how the song will turn out and know exactly what you are aiming for. then you take your knowledge of music and fill in each part to make it fit your plan and sound good. this seems better for songs that will have changes of feel and have a lot of musical movement, but i find that when i finish a song like this im usually very satisfied.

those are my two basic ways i approach song writing. i always start with guitar though, unless i know i need to have another instrument as the focus. then i add in other instruments with the knowledge that whoever plays them will have the freedom to change them to suit their style as long as it doesnt change the song too too much.
I think of something that I'm gonna write about and come up with some lyrics. Then I just write a guitar part that works with the lyrics and the feeling that is being portrayed.

I think having the lyrics and then imagining the band playing music to it is the best way to write.
For sum weird reason, if I tune down either a half-step or a full-step, I will be able to write a song straight away..
telling people how to write songs (IMO) is like telling them how to take a dump, you know how to wipe your ass, because you learnt too,beacuse you practised doing it.

so go take some dumps (ie practising writing songs, just keep playing till things start to click) .

I dont have a poo fixiation. Dont attempt to contact me if you do, thats gross.
Erm... well, to each his own i guess. One week i write 3 full songs straight in a row, and another week i write nothing but short riffs. The bass player and me write most of the songs, and usualy we get stuck somewere in the song, and the other one usualy has a fresh look on it and we glue it all together in the practise room.

Sometimes i write lyrics first, the other time i write my guitar part first, or sometimes the bassplayer has written a whole song and i try to complete it with some solid riffs. It differs all the time, be flexible and never work under pressure of time.

Some things i thought myself to do:

- Record everything you jammed up with yourself and you think you might be able to use in the future, listen to it in a couple of weeks/days and get a fresh look on it to ditch it, or to expand it to a bigger part or whole song
- THERE ARE NO RULES FOR SONGWRITING. If you wanna right a song backwards, whatever, if it works for you, it works :P
- Sometimes just playing a riff from a band you like, and change around a bit works fine if you dont have inspiration, note: i dont say copy riffs from other bands, i say play around with it, sometimes they use exotic chords that can inspire whole songs of there own :p

I play in a proggresive rock-band btw. so we dont write 3 chord songs, so maybe my method doesnt work for that, but it works for me
Really for me it depends my mood im in and if im tryin to force it or not. Sometimes i decide oh i feel like making a riff and it comes like that and sometimes im in a not so good mood and cant make anythin that doesnt sound like ****. Or what happens to me most of the time is i dont even try.
The best way i write music is if im not trying. I can be foolin round, watchin t.v when i create my best licks. Also the more you write the better you will get it comes in time.
That's the golden question my friend, one I've asked a few times in a few places. I think it's whatever works for you! I've done only a few songs but there's no method to my madness (sorry about the cliche`). This last song I just was falling asleep and got some words and a melody... I got up quick and wrote them down and hummed the melody in the computer mic. I'll add chords later,

My first one I wrote lyrics first to some chords but ditched the old chords for some new ones and a new melody.

My second was chords first and words later... I'm not expert but I've found that whatever works for a person is probably the best thing to do.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
I don't know about anyone else, but recently i've started recording any riffs/ideas I come up with because everytime i left something i thought was great, despite having the tab maybe scribbled out somewhere, i couldn't remember the exact melody and the riff became flat and uninteresting...
Whenever i jam i record in Logic with a big counter up on my screen, and i note down the time of the pice that i think could be used somewhere, and then go back over it later or another day. I find it's easiest to work off a bassline rather than adding bass to a guitar. sometimes i start with lyrics and cant find chords, and vice versa. sometimes it all slips together and i can write a song in an hour. weird.
Quote by SoundofSeattle
I don't know about anyone else, but recently i've started recording any riffs/ideas I come up with because everytime i left something i thought was great, despite having the tab maybe scribbled out somewhere, i couldn't remember the exact melody and the riff became flat and uninteresting...

Yup, my computer mic is never far away when I want to record some riffs, best way to do it.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2