hi everyone;

lately i noticed im getting some buzz sounds when i play. its definately not fret buzz because i still get it when i set the string height high. i believe its coming from the bridge. i have a vintage strat tremolo, and i think the buzz is coming from the small screws that you adjust the string height with, one of them loose.

while messing around i found that on some of the saddles only one of the two screws is supporting the string tension, the other just seem to be loose and dangling. i believe the vibration of the string is causing the loose screw to vibrate, creating the buzz.

any other suggestions to why this might happen? is it common for vintage tremolos?

if there is no way to fix this, i am thinking of getting a new tremolo or changing parts because it is quite annoying. but i don't want to get one that i have to do modifications to the body (like a floyd rose).

suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!
thanks!

yes i did that and it still makes the sound... i can screw them in but its not tight(?).
hmm i also see that the string is not right in the middle of the saddle. i tried to fix it before, but after a period of time the stings kinda made an engravement so the string kind of sits there. i think since the string is not in the middle the tension is either on the left or right, putting tension on one of the screws greater than the other
Quote by kos
i think since the string is not in the middle the tension is either on the left or right, putting tension on one of the screws greater than the other

Just what I was about to post...can't you push the string to the middle of the saddle?

This is exactly why I don't like telecasters with 6 saddles; the intonation screws are off-centre which makes the pressure on the height adjustment screws uneven; causing the problem you have.
Last edited by mr_hankey at May 27, 2006,