I just joined jazz band at my school as guitarist, and on the sheet music there are the following chords that I have never seen before...
Db9(#11)
C+7(#9)
B9(#11)
Ab9(13)
E9(#11)
A7(b9)
Ab9(13)
G+7(#9)
C7(#9)
F+7(#9)
Bb7(#9 13)
B+7(#9)

Does anyone know the formula for finding 9(#11), 7(#11), etc?
If so I would be most gracious if you shared your knowledge.
If you joined your jazz band, you should understand how to construct all your basic 7th chords, 7, Maj7, Min7.

Then the rest sort of act like tags.

9 - You voice the flat 7th and the 9th.
+ - Augment the 5th
13 - Voice the 7, 9, 11, and 13. Sometimes you can omit the 3rd of the chord since the 13 is a compound interval for a fourth.
#11/#9 - Sharp the 11th and the 9th.
b9 - Flat the 9th

It should just be understanding how to work things and how chords are constructed with these terms. The hardest thing is knowing how to voice and play all of these just by looking at them and constructing them in your head.
That's a nice chords you've got there! Basically, what EVERY chord in your list has in common are the 1 - 3 - b7. Those are also the most important notes in the chord, since they're all dominant chords, no matter what extensions. So, in order to play the correct notes without getting it confusion, all you have to do is play those chords. Since it's a school band, I probably think their are other instruments for chords too, so too many notes will probably clutter up or create too much dissonance or whatever.

Basically just play the 1 3 b7 and you CAN'T go wrong, no matter what they say!

-
-
-
G7 (this is a movable root6 shape)

-
-
-
C7 (this is a movable root5 shape)
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
um, some things might be wrong... here's my input:

Db9(#11): Is that a chord with root Db or root D? If Db... 9(#11) means 1-3-5-b7-9-#11. If D... b9(#11) means 1 3 5 7 b9 #11.

C+7(#9): +7#9 = 1 3 #5 b7 #9... This is a standard alt chord. The sheet music should have just said "Calt"...
B9(#11): 9(#11) = 1 3 5 b7 9 #11
Ab9(13): Once again... root Ab or A?
E9(#11): 9(#11) = same as above example
A7(b9): 7b9 = 1 3 5 b7 b9
Ab9(13): Ab or A?
G+7(#9): Same as above example
C7(#9): 7(#9) = 1 3 5 b7 #9
F+7(#9): Same as above example
Bb7(#9 13): I assume the root is Bb since "b7" would never be said if the third is implied...7(#9,13) = 1 3 5 b7 #9 13
B+7(#9): Same as above example

Usually, with extended chords, unless the 5 is being altered, you can omit it. Also, if you've got say a 13th chord and the 9th or 11th aren't chnaged, you can omit them... 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 = 1 3 5 7 13 = 1 3 7 13. Lots of expandable rules...

red
Looking for my India/Django.
For 7b9 chords, I sometimes omit the root (the bass should be playing the root). The rest of the chord tones then form a dim7.

EDIT: dim7 goes root, minor third, diminished 5th, diminished 7th. The diminished 7th is enharmonically a major 6th.
13 - Voice the 7, 9, 11, and 13.

I disagree; for a _13, use 1 3 5 7 13 (with the 5 being optional). Using all the upper extensions is extremely rare.

Sometimes you can omit the 3rd of the chord

3rds are almost never omitted, and even if you were to omit a 3rd for some reason, it would have nothing to do with the following:

since the 13 is a compound interval for a fourth.

I think you mean a 6th, not a 4th.

|-------x--------|
|-------4--------|
|-------1--------|
|-------2--------|
|-------3--------|
|-------x--------|

C+(#9) can also be used for B+(#9)
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
Last edited by Steve Cropper at May 28, 2006,
^It can?

I've prolly got my head up my arse...

and psycodelia, you mean the "diminshed seventh" to be the bb7... i.e. a fully diminished chord, right? ok, rhetorical question, just had to ask it though.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by RTB_Chris
I think you mean a 6th, not a 4th.

Whoops, I meant since there is an 11 in the chord, under some circumstances and how the chord is used, you may omit the third, it is redundant. Only in 4 part vocal writing are the 9th and 11th ommited. But the chord itself does include them. In 4 part writing you have the root, 3rd, b7th, and the 13th.

Also, I'm pretty much just quoting my music theory textbook.
Last edited by coffeeguy9 at May 27, 2006,
Quote by redwing_suck
^It can?

I've prolly got my head up my arse...

and psycodelia, you mean the "diminshed seventh" to be the bb7... i.e. a fully diminished chord, right? ok, rhetorical question, just had to ask it though.

lol yes, the bb7.
in a nutshell:

9=2nd+octave
11=4th+octave
13=6th+octave

9th chord is 1 3 5 b7 9
11th is 1 3 5 b7 9 11
13th is 1 3 5 b7 9 11 13

a few important things:

Chords with extensions can be though of as polychords, the original 7th chord and the extensions 9, 11, and/or 13. you must leave at least one tone from each of these two groups, otherwise you'll just have the 7th chord or whatever triad the extensions form.

1, 3, 5, and b7 (but not all of them together) are often omitted, generally in that order of priority (1 is first to go, etc)

important notes about sharps and flats:
if there is an augmented or flatted 5, you can't omit the 5
if there is a #9 don't omit the third, otherwise you will just have a minor chord (#9=min3)
if there is a #11, don't omit the fifth, or it will just sound like a b5 chord (or more accurately, a suspended#4 chord with no fifth)
wow...this is an extremely friendly and helpful community. Redwing suck, the roots with flats directly next to them are the flat of that note, e.g. Db9(#11), Db is the root. Sorry about that, I actually asked the same question when my band director gave me the music.
So I can omit alot of the notes in these chords apparently. That makes things alot easier.
So lemme get this straight:
I can omit the 5th unless it's changed or there's a #11, I can possibly omit the root note if there's a bassist(which there is), if there's a 13 I can omit the 9th, I should never omit the 3rd or the b7, and if i'm at a loss just play 1-3-b7 and no one will notice. Am I on the right track?
My mistake there is no seventh. Its just a simplified version of that chord. Less notes to make the voicing sound alot more distinct than it is. Try it yourself see how it sounds.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club