I am in the market for a new guitar, I've narrowed it down to either a LTD Truckster or a Gibby Explorer. I've played both these guitars and liked both of them, the explorer is a little high priced for me, I can get one for $1050 brand new, I can get the truckter for $800 new, and both of those prices include tax. Are the LTD Truckster's any good? I play mostly hard rock and metal, and eventually I will be buying either a tube amp or a line 6 spider II. I would like an old style explorer without the pickguard but I am little iffy about buying a used guitar, especially that old. The finish on the Truckster doesn't bother me at all, I kind of like it, it looks different, but I love the explorer shape. What do you guys think?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Why not check out an Epiphone Explorer? Gibson's are overpriced-you can get the same guitar in all aspects for about half that price. And even then have enough cash left over for a nice amp.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
well i suppose if you like that kind of music then the truckster has EMGs in it (i think) i think the paint job on the truckster looks a bit too....fake if you know what i mean. the explorer will cost more but you wont have the same bite with the pickups.

go for the truckster
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
This is just my opinion. I would never buy the truckster! That has St.Anger on it. Get original hetfield for a bit more.
Gibson prices are extortionate, but they're good guitars too; maybe look for a second-hand model (if it's in good condition, a used guitar can be a steal) or get an Epi as Mr. Xenn suggested if you are set on the shape of an explorer.
Love is not a victory march.
First off, dont get a Line6 Spider II. They're ****ing utter crap.

Next, Id personally get the Gibson, just because the fact that that Truckster's paint looks like **** to me. A pickup swatch could do you justice, but you'd have to route out an area for the battery to go to get active EMG's in it.

In my opinion, Gibson>LTD/ESP
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
If you want an explorer shape look at a Peavey Rotor EXP, I have one and its awesome. Full mahogany, ebony fretboard, tuneomatic, and high-output pickups. You can probably get one for around 800.
THE TRUCKSTER IS SO HEAVY. dont get it unless you are like james hetfield, a giant. if those are the only choices, get an EPI explorer. if not, check out the LTD EC-1000VB. its sick.

oops.. the EC's are the same weight... haha
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
thanks for all the replies, I think I will probably pass on the truckster, the more I think about it, if it didn't have Hetfield's name on it, then I probably wouldn't get it. I played a gibby and an epi explorer, when the guy first gave me the epi, it just felt cheap, it played alright, but I just like the sound of the Gibson better, are the epiphone's poorly made? I have been keeping an eye out on eBay for used Gibson's, perferably the last 80's without the pickguards, but I am kind of iffy about buying a used guitar without actually touching it.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Yes I do not like epiphones. I played a Goth Epi and Black Gibson head to head, and the Epi was like a ****ing two ton lead ball, it was so heavy, at least 12 pounds, and sounded like pure ass unplugged, which leads me to belive that Epiphone still uses **** materials and hardware. I liked the Gibson, but the neck was very fat, and the pickups were meh, neck was really muddy, although the bridge wasn't that bad.

I'd say check out the LTD EC-1000 with EMGs, that thing rips. Plays awesome with a thin neck and the jumbo frets, is VERY light when compared to a real Les Paul, Epi Exp or Truckster, and the EMGs rip. I love the 60 in the neck, very clear, very deep tone, has a lot of low end tone, but not muddy at all, and of course the 81 in the bridge rips, clear, thick, just loved it.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
What about the Gibson Gothics? I've seen a few of them on eBay, are they any good? I will check out the EC-1000, but I almost dead set on an explorer bodied guitar, I just can't get the feel for a LP body, except the truckster.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
You're a fag if you buy the Truckster. No will will respect you anymore.
^ You're a "fag" if you diss the Truckster.

Have you ever played one?

For 800 clams you get an absolute monster of a gutiar, Mahagony body & Neck, nice thick guitar, 22 frets (better sound than 24 unless you need the last 2 frets for a shred guitar), EMG 81/60 (which none of the Non-ESP eclipses have), and Sperzels.

And the explorer unless you go used is overpriced. Used you can find a Gibson with EMG 81/60 for 850 on ebay if you look good enough.

But the Truckster really is a hell of an instrument. I went from being able to get a badass rhythm tone, a pretty good lead tone, and an awesome clean tone. I played a funk type riff on it, for gods sake, and it handled the sound very nicely. Add some light chorus to the sound of an EMG 60 and you HAVE a great clean pickup for the neck.
haha
^i second used Gibson Explorer with Emgs, that or a a lawsuit ESP model
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
What about the LTD Explorer's? I found an ec-200
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
What about the LTD Explorer's? I found an ec-200

Don't bother with a sans-400 series LTD. EC400 and above.

But it all depends, if you want a Eclipse shape, the Truckster or an ESP/LTD EC1000 and so on are great great guitars. If you want an Explorer shape, a used Gibson is okay, or more better you can probably find an ESP/LTD (if you're lucky an actual ESP Standard) lawsuit explroer w/ the 81/60 setup.
haha
Quote by guitarphillip
everybody hates st.anger just because metallica helped get rid of napster

Everything you post is moronic.

TS: Check out an EX-400, or an EX-400BD for the more "Hetfield" look.
EX's are too pointy. Peavy Rotors look cool. You can get them in whit and if you put EMG's in there you would have an old-skool Hetfield look.
Epiphone is NOT the same as a real Gibson! There's a reason they are cheaper and that's because they aren't as good as Gibson. When do people realise this?

The Truckster is good for metal, hard rock and can do blues fine. It lags everything when it comes to jazz and anything, but the three genres I mentioned. The Explorer can do metal, hard rock (really good), classic rock and blues. You might want to change the pick ups on the Explorer because they doesn't give the full potential of the guitar and they tend to be noisy.

However, If I were you I'd go for a higher end Gibson or a higher end LTD, maybe ESP. You get more for the money with ESP/LTD, but Gibson has something ESP doesn't have. That's why I bought a Gibson.
well I went back up there and looked at the truckster, the more I look at it, the less it appeals to me. I also went and looked at the new gibson, can't get over the pickguard. I did see a EC-1000 in Cherry finish that really caught my eye, I didn't get a chance to play it because they were closing when I showed up. So I will either get an old gibson or esp explorer or maybe the ec-1000.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Get a new amp man. If your thinking of upgrading to a spider II which is a absolutely crap amp you need a new amp. A roland cube isn't bad and is not expensive. With 800-1000 dollars you can buy a lot of good amps. used on ebay you could get a jcm 800 or a twin reverb. Both are absolutely amazing amps.
Quote by LP Junior
Epiphone is NOT the same as a real Gibson! There's a reason they are cheaper and that's because they aren't as good as Gibson. When do people realise this?

Epiphone Elitists are indeed as good as Gibsons. The only reason you say otherwise is because you own a Gibson. Go out and try a nice Epiphone Elitist LP Standard next to your Gibson. I can almost guarantee you that it will be just as good. The reasons they are cheaper are one, you aren't paying an extra $1000 for the name, two, you aren't paying an extra $200 for some other laquer, and three, the Epiphone Elitists are made in a factory identicle to Gibson's in Japan. Everything else is identicle.

I'm sick of all these stupid name fanboys trashing one brand because it doesn't have their favorite company's name on the headstock.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Bulletbass man
Get a new amp man. If your thinking of upgrading to a spider II which is a absolutely crap amp you need a new amp. A roland cube isn't bad and is not expensive. With 800-1000 dollars you can buy a lot of good amps. used on ebay you could get a jcm 800 or a twin reverb. Both are absolutely amazing amps.

yea a new amp is definitely in the lineup. Like I said, I am still pretty new to guitars and amps so I am learning as I go, I don't really know a lot about amps, but I know a good amount about guitars. I will probably buy a nice tube amp around Christmas, but my little gx-15 will hold up fine until then. I was told that the EMG's really shine with a nice tube amp.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by guitarphillip
everybody hates st.anger just because metallica helped get rid of napster

Ahem, have you heard St. Anger? It's bad... alright?
Instead of Truckster try out the LTD EC400AT every bit as heavey and thick as teh truck but it has Duncan JB/59 pickups and a real paint job. It also has 22 frets so you get a deeper neck pup tone which I prefer to the 24 fret ec1000s. Plus you can get it for like $600. Stay away from EC400 its flat top, no maple cap and sounds souless.
yea the truckster's out, I will check out the ec400, I'm still looking for explorer's also
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro