Hi. I'm looking into buying a new five-string but I'm really stuck for what to get. I'm on a budget of about £700-£800. I play prog-metal but also do jazz with my keyboard player so I am looking for a bass that will do each well. I use a warm jazzish tone in my prog band so thats not to big a deal to be honest.

Anyway, can you guys please help

Thanks
Could try a fender jazz 5.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Yeah, the Deluxe Active Jazz bass is wonderful, and it comes in a five string model. I played the five once in a guitar store, and fell in love. I went back the next week to buy it, but it was sold. I went home with a six string instead, but I still wish I had gotten the Active 5 string Jazz.
Quote by Kharver
Hi. I'm looking into buying a new five-string but I'm really stuck for what to get. I'm on a budget of about £700-£800. I play prog-metal but also do jazz with my keyboard player so I am looking for a bass that will do each well. I use a warm jazzish tone in my prog band so thats not to big a deal to be honest.

Anyway, can you guys please help

Thanks

For that kind of money you could pick up a decent second hand Musicman Stingray 5 or a second hand G&L, in fact if you lived in the UK I have a G&L L2500 Tribute for sale in mint condition for £400
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You really wouldn't want a Stringray 5. I'd also suggest the Active 5 String Jazz.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
^Yeah, he might. A Stingray 5 has a great tone for metal, and it's so versatile that it can easily be used for jazz. Consider the 5 string Jazz, or a secondhand SR-5.
Quote by Nikklaus
You really wouldn't want a Stringray 5. I'd also suggest the Active 5 String Jazz.

What you should ask yourself is "why are Musicman Basses so popular" the answer is because they are so good; not just recently but for a very long time.
I've owned a Fender De-Luxe, but not for long, compared to so many other active basses the electronics are mediocre.
If you really want an active Fender 5 string bass buy a passive model and fit this kit, http://www.east-uk.com, and fit the J-Retro 01 De-luxe. I fitted one of their kits to my old Jazz Bass, compared to the Fender De-Luxe it sounded incredible.

My Basses down the years

1962 Hohner
1963 Burns 6 string Bass
1965 Pre CBS Fender Jazz
1985 Musicman Stingray
1990 EB3
1995 US Precision De-Luxe
1997 Trace Elliot (Status) T Bass
1999 Musicman Stingray 5
2004 G&L L 2500 Tribut 5 string
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I know that MM Stingrays are good, I'm about to purchase one, but a 4 string model. I am now reasonably experienced with Stingrays and the 5 string model doesn't compare to a 5 string Jazz for what he listed as his bass's main requirements.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
i wouldnt say the musicman does jazz all too well. flea afterall switched to a fender jazz as his main bass.
^No, he didn't.

John Swift knows what he's talking about, the Jazz bass 5 will work, but the SR-5 would probably be better, because it has more versatility. Trust me on this guys, if John Swift tells you to jump off a bridge because it'll make you play like Victor Wooten, you should freaking do it.
Quote by Nikklaus
I know that MM Stingrays are good, I'm about to purchase one, but a 4 string model. I am now reasonably experienced with Stingrays and the 5 string model doesn't compare to a 5 string Jazz for what he listed as his bass's main requirements.

The Stingray 5 has two major features over the standard Stingray, the first is obvious, a 5th string, the second is only obvious to people with an extremely good and versatile amplifier and speaker system, this feature is the 3 way selector switch, unless your system is full range ie idealy 15 + 10 + horn then you will not get the full benefits of this bass, played through a single speaker it sounds like many other basses but if you'r in my position playing all kinds of music including session work then you have to have the best.
The Stingray 5 should really be called the Sterling 5 because that is really what it is, it is not a 5 string version of the Stingray.
The Stingray 5 is far more versatile than any Fender active 5 string bass!
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by SocKo?
i wouldnt say the musicman does jazz all too well. flea afterall switched to a fender jazz as his main bass.

And flea's in a rock band.

Your point?
haha