Page 1 of 2
What are your opinions on the Agile Hornet? http://www.rondomusic.net/hornet.html Im highly considering getting one because its are cheap and its a Flying-V! I would swap the pups to EMGS though. Its only $299.99 (American I think).
Last edited by drop-dead666 at May 28, 2006,
Agathis is not the greatest wood, but I haven't played one of those hornets. I'm sure it would be a decent guitar for 299 though.
it could be good if used through a good amp. that makes most of the sound.
IMO, alot of this talk about body woods is gay. it has a minimal effect on the sound.
the amp, pups and strings do most of it.
Im getting it for the looks, I'm not gonna' use it as a long time guitar. People said that agathis is cheap and has bad tonal qualities but I play mostly metal so it isnt that important to me.
Quote by drop-dead666
Im getting it for the looks, I'm not gonna' use it as a long time guitar. People said that agathis is cheap and has bad tonal qualities but I play mostly metal so it isnt that important to me.

tone not important in metal?!?!

:WTF:
Quote by Gopher636
it could be good if used through a good amp. that makes most of the sound.
IMO, alot of this talk about body woods is gay. it has a minimal effect on the sound.
the amp, pups and strings do most of it.

The body wood has a huge effect on the sound. By your logic, a Les Paul made of Agathis and a Les Paul made of mahogany with a maple cap would sound nearly the same with the same pickups, strings and played through the same amp.

Now, on topic, I'd say take a look at the Epiphone V's. They're made of mahogany or alder. Both of which are better than agathis. I think you can get an Epi Goth V for $299. I'm not positive on that though. Even if they're a little more, it would still be worth it. Mahogany or alder would both sound better than agathis. Alder may sound a little too bright for metal, but the Epi Goth V is mahogany. Mahogany is usually the wood-of-choice for metal guitars.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by drop-dead666

Wow, ignorant, for me when i play, my distorted metal tone is the most imporant. But whatever floats your cheap wood bad tonal qualities boat.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
As long as I can make out the difference between warm and bright, it doesnt make a difference to me. Also if I can get an Epi Goth V for just over $299, that would make my day.
Quote by Xenn99
The body wood has a huge effect on the sound. By your logic, a Les Paul made of Agathis and a Les Paul made of mahogany with a maple cap would sound nearly the same with the same pickups, strings and played through the same amp.

Now, on topic, I'd say take a look at the Epiphone V's. They're made of mahogany or alder. Both of which are better than agathis. I think you can get an Epi Goth V for $299. I'm not positive on that though. Even if they're a little more, it would still be worth it. Mahogany or alder would both sound better than agathis. Alder may sound a little too bright for metal, but the Epi Goth V is mahogany. Mahogany is usually the wood-of-choice for metal guitars.

i should rephrase what i meant-

agathis isnt genereally a bad wood, provided its played with good pups and a good amp.
all the talk of good/bad bodywoods is subjectional, one isnt necesarily better then another.
wont any guitar sound through a good, expensive amp?

cant the guitar be made out of **** and still play well with the right amp?
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
Quote by 4e574e57363g
wont any guitar sound through a good, expensive amp?

cant the guitar be made out of **** and still play well with the right amp?

Lmao you should try that. I dont know though. Its all on what you want it to sound like.
no im serious...

if you play like a 30$ guitar made in antartica by a company named Chooroothaki, with a plastic body (lol) through a 5000$ tube marshall amp, i think it would sound descent. not great, but pretty good.

but im just guessing, can somebody tell me if that true lol
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
Quote by 4e574e57363g
no im serious...

if you play like a 30$ guitar made in antartica by a company named Chooroothaki, with a plastic body (lol) through a 5000$ tube marshall amp, i think it would sound descent. not great, but pretty good.

but im just guessing, can somebody tell me if that true lol

You put a lot of thought into that one, didn't you?

Technically, a nice amp will make a POS guitar sound decent. HOWEVER, it will make a decent guitar sound very good.

The problem with agathis is that it just doesn't do sound well. It's cheap though, so they use it anyway. Squire guitars are a prime example of this. Yes, through a nice amp even a squire can be tolerable, but why settle for tolerable when you can spnd a little more and get a guitar that will sound really good?

I looked into the Epi Goth V on Musician's Friend. They have it for $399. Mahogany body, mahogany set neck. The pickups are irrelevant because he's swapping them for EMGs.

Personally, I'd go with the Epi even though it's a bit more.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^That one is actually decent from what I've heard. It would need all new hardware (knobs, tuners, etc.) but after that it would probably be a pretty nice guitar. Especially with the EMGs.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I don't think it looks half as good as the Epiphone Explorer and I don't really like that one either. You really should go wtih the Epiphone Goth V.
I did all that shipping and stuff and that guitar will cost me $235.30 (The SX GG2 Set Neck). I will get EMG 81 actives, grover tuners, straplocks and some new knobs. It'll be sickass. I just need money now.
^Sounds good. Is the $235 including the EMGs, tuners and knobs?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99

Well, since agathis is supposed to have similar tonal qualities to mahogany...
No, agathis is a "relative" of mahogany. It doesn't mean it isn't crap wood for guitars. I've never read that it has similar tone.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^Sounds good. Is the $235 including the EMGs, tuners and knobs?

No just the guitar with all its stock shit. I have to buy all that other stuff myself.
Hm...add up what the Epi would cost you. If it's cheaper, I say go with the Epi.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The Epi, I would have to pay tax as well. The Agile, I dont have to pay tax but there is shipping etc. The Epi I would change the pups either way so... and there are no fret dots on the Goth V, i'll have a hard time.
Avoid B.C. Rich guitars. They're garbage unless you get a high end one. And those are overpriced.

You can definetly find better.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by drop-dead666

After what you said about you and the MEsa and now that metal doesnt need tone......? WTF? WTF is wrong with you kid.
Yeah. It's garbage. Agathis body, bolt on neck...it just isn't a quality instrument.

Instead of wasting money on that, get a guitar that's actually nice. That you'd want to take good care of and not smash because it sounds so sh*tty.

You like the wilder shapes, why not look at a Flying V to go with your SX Explorer?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Fuck you Silent_Scream1, if youve read any farther you would've seen the SX Explorer (The SX has a MAHOGONY body) and I have a lot wrong with me. Metal doesn't need that much tone but it still important. The tone isnt as important as if you were playing.. oh lets say.. Hendrix, or Floyd etc. For the Mesa, theres something called a volume knob, if you dont want it loud, you put it fucking down.
Last edited by drop-dead666 at May 28, 2006,
So your Tone Deaf? Or just dont like good tone?

IF you want to notice how great the tone of a tube is you have to crank it duhhh.. For tube amps the louder it is the more the tubes are being pushed and sounds better than an SS amp being cranked. Unless you get an Attenuator for your Mesa than you wouldnt need to put it that loud to get your saturated tube sounds. If you keep your Mesa low you won't be able to get what you paid for.........
Buying a Mesa and keeping the volume low would be like buying a damn Rocket Laucher to kill a Fly........Get the point throught your thick little skull kid?
Ok, can we calm down a bit guys?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Agathis =
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Page 1 of 2