So, I have been catching some flak from friends and people around changing around Henrix's Purple Haze. To me, there is no point of trying to sound like the recording of a song, or at least obsessing about it. You will only ever be close and to me if i was obsessed with staying "true" to the music, it would feel like a failure to me. It's not a deep dark secret that Hendrix loved to take other people's music and bass line and twist them into his own creations. Okay so the question is, who here thinks there are "un-touchable" pieces of music, and who thinks that changing classics isn't a crime?

I personally think that people should be more open minded to change, but maybe I am wrong. So please, when you reply please don't say, "**** you for changing anything Jimi did!" say, "**** you for changing what Jimi did, because ________." lol give me a reason. Same to you people who think that music should be yours to shape.

Thanks
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
There exists whole careers just for those who wish to arrange. Hell, a jazz musician is really seen as tested when he plays the standards and makes them his own.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
I think that music is yours to interpret and to play. Hendrix did it, I do it, everyone does it. These elitists out here need to open up. They are the music world's South African natives, NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING!!!

No, I don't have anything against South Africa or it's natives. I don't even know if they have natives left.
There are SOME songs you shouldn't mess with and change. Skynyrd's Freebird being one. If you are going to change it, do it right and don't just throw in random stuff.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by Stop Messin'
There are SOME songs you shouldn't mess with and change. Skynyrd's Freebird being one. If you are going to change it, do it right and don't just throw in random stuff.

Who decides what right is? What you call random stuff, may be someone elses lifework!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Who decides what right is? What you call random stuff, may be someone elses lifework!

If you know what Freebird means to the guitar would, then you'll know whats right and wrong. If you take Freebird and start doing divebombs with a Floyd or squealing pinch harmonics like Zakk Wylde, then the people who really love that song will decide whats right and wrong for you. I worked in a music shop for 2 years, and i've seen enough to know when someones doing wrong to somgs like Freebird or Stairway. How do you think Freebird sounds with the distortion cranked on 10, no slide and A5 played over and over?
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
So you don't like it, or any other fans for the same matter. What makes you think that you're the 'better' person, the one who would call some things right and other things wrong? There is no right or wrong. It's all opinions, my good friend!

And also, about the A5 @ 10 gain thing. Not everyone is technically proficient at a guitar. Maybe he was trying really hard and you're bashing the guy, even though he's trying ffs. He could be really ashamed because he isn't the best and you're being arrogant and putting him down.

Or, what I said before. Maybe he just likes the way he plays it. There's no arguing over taste!
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
My rule of thumb is any music is open to be manipulated by another artist to suit his style, so long as they don't pick songs intimately assosciated with the original artist. For example, I would never even think of covering or redoing Under the Bridge for anything other than a small audience. I don't think anyone else has the right to. I just think some songs are off limits. However, I suppose if the artist can relate, and asked for the blessing of the original artist or surviving kin, I guess it would be ok. Something like Purple Haze I wouldn't consider "sacred" per say. I guess it's up to interpretation

Bry
Playing a fair bit of jazz, I consider songs to be open to be replayed and reinterpreted. There are no "sacred" songs. I also prefer to make a song my own. The only reason to ape the original might be if you're a wedding band or a band that is supposed to sound like the cd.

If I can do a song well enough to satisfy myself, I play it. I obviously am not capable of the high notes on Bohemian Rhapsody, so I would not cover it (at least in its original form), but there are other people more than capable of doing it justice.
Why should you play Purple Haze note for note when Hendrix himself played it differently everytime he played it?
Yeah, certain songs have key parts in them that will make you say "oh yeah, i've heard that song" but if you change that part and build a song around it I don't think that's a bad thing.
Sometimes you gotta beef up a song to get the point acroos, or else everyone will be like,"Well I've Heard That Before." But sometimes you gotta strip a song down to almost nothing but the bare essentials. Either way make a song your own. If you play it you have to own it. Dont do what everyone else does.
the first thing that comes to mind as something that one shouldn't mess with (or at least it's hard to do so tastefully) is classical music.
there are no rules in music , u can do what u want.

like Autumn Leaves, this jazz standard is played till death and many musicians covered the song by thier style even they changed the time signature of the song but they sticked to the chord construction.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Anyone who says that needs his head checked.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Thanks for all your feedback. I see that a little over half of you so far have said that music is open to interpretation. I kind of get a kick out of it when people give me hell for messing with those "sacred" songs, but it's even better when the select few come up and say, "Whoa that was great, how did you guys think up that part?" It's really kind of silly cause all I wanted to do with purple haze was turn the solo into an E 12 bar blues like double timed from the song, and than come back in double time for the rest of the song.
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
Quote by Maj_Tom
Thanks for all your feedback. I see that a little over half of you so far have said that music is open to interpretation. I kind of get a kick out of it when people give me hell for messing with those "sacred" songs, but it's even better when the select few come up and say, "Whoa that was great, how did you guys think up that part?" It's really kind of silly cause all I wanted to do with purple haze was turn the solo into an E 12 bar blues like double timed from the song, and than come back in double time for the rest of the song.

Just go ahead and do it! Also, let us know how the result is
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
I'm going to record a heavy metal version of Freebird! RAWK MAN

Note that I hate Skynyrd AND heavy metal, I just want to piss the dancing pickle guy off, because he is way too attached to the idea of a song being ''pristine.'' You can completely change the style of a song and come up with something amazing, or something crappy. It doesn't matter what song it is, or what you do, just have to experiment. And it works, great. And if it doesn't, well, then don't use it. But for someone to discourage experimentation, and just plain having fun, well, that just means they suck. Not as a musician, necessarily (though probably) but as a person!

Anyway if you want to record a version of Purple Haze in the "spirit" of Hendrix you just gotta get blazed out of your mind first. Have fun!
I see no problem with covering the songs of others as long as you maintain the original message. For instance, I once heard an Evanescence cover of Korn's Thoughtless....which was performed as a ballad. The song is not a ballad...the song is about the rage the singer felt against those who tormented him. It's not sad, it's not peacefull, it's not beatiful, it's just incredibly ****ing angry. Get it right.

If you're going to copy something, make it better. Otherwise what's the point.
Purple Haze is OK, but don't touch Voodo Chile, Just listen to SRV's effort (I love SRV, but not that cover). Also, never **** with Bohemian Rhapsody, Teen Spirit, Under the Bridge and Stairway to Heaven (except Rolf Harris).
Quote by Archeo Avis
I see no problem with covering the songs of others as long as you maintain the original message. For instance, I once heard an Evanescence cover of Korn's Thoughtless....which was performed as a ballad. The song is not a ballad...the song is about the rage the singer felt against those who tormented him. It's not sad, it's not peacefull, it's not beatiful, it's just incredibly ****ing angry. Get it right.

If you're going to copy something, make it better. Otherwise what's the point.

Ahh, yes... But who says what's better and what isn't?

And just FYI: I disagree anyway. Why does everything have to be better?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by scheck006
why would you cover a korn song in the first place

I don't care what anyone says, Korn has some really good songs (Hollow Life comes to mind)
Yes, the genre as a whole is largely crap, and all sounds the same. But as (arguably) the progenetors of said genre, one can hardly accuse them of completely ripping off other artists.
Quote by fleaflicker182
Purple Haze is OK, but don't touch Voodo Chile, Just listen to SRV's effort (I love SRV, but not that cover). Also, never **** with Bohemian Rhapsody, Teen Spirit, Under the Bridge and Stairway to Heaven (except Rolf Harris).

Ha. I cover half those songs