i'm planning on getting a new small wattage tube amp. i've narrowed it down to a few different choices....ebay is an option but my parents feel better if i buy new. i've narrowed it down to a few different choices. i play all types of music...ranging from metallica, rhcp, emo/pop-punk, blues, classic rock, Gn'R, pink floyd...all types...not a whole lot of metal though. versatility is really important.

i'm mostly a bedroom player, but i do jam w/ friends and it needs to be loud enough to get over drums and possibly small gigs.....i figure 15 tube watts should be enough, but still be quiet enough for bedroom use.

heres the amps i'm interested in...

hughes & kettner tube edition 20th anniversary....2 channels, i've heard nothing bad about it

traynor ycv20wr or ycv20....both have 2 channels, included footswitch, lots of features for the price
fender blues jr....nice cleans, only 1 channel, loved the clean w/ the fat switch on, cheapest

peavey classic 20...out of production and would have to use ebay...i liked the classic 30 i played but too loud, not sure, but i think its only 1 channel though

vox ac15cc1...only 1 channel, expensive for not many features

thats pretty much all, i really like a rhcp type clean (think intro to under the bridge) and i'd probably have to have an od (most likely i would get a jekyll and hyde) for the heavier stuff. i would also possibly get a weber attenuator (the mini mass)

comments...don't just name an amp, give reasons, also consider the music i play and the versatillity i would be able to get out of the amp. thanks
At that price, you're not gonna really get a tube amp that will cover all that, unless, like you mentioned, you get a pedal. An alternative is the vox ad60vtx. No pedals required there, and superbly sounding.

Edit: ****, forgot the H&K, go with that!
have any of yall actually played the hueghes and kettner (or the traynor)?....b/c i'd most likely have to order it or the traynor off the internet b/c no one near me carries them
Blues Jr, yo.

Amazing amp, I've got one, I love it so much, cleans are incredibly fat, rounded and warm, and the natural overdrive is orgasmic.
And... it gets stupidly loud too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
1. Traynor
2. H&K

But if you don't mind using only a 5-watter, look into the Ibanez ValBee.
danno, i don't think the 5-watter will be enough to play over drums.

which would be better a blues jr. w/ a jekyll and hyde, or a traynor w/ a jekyll and hyde, or the hueghes and kettner w/ no pedal.
U might want to check out the Epiphone valve amps. I haven't played one yet but i've heard good stuff about em, and they are dirt cheap.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^Apparently their speakers are bad, though.

Jenny has a head hooked up to her MG's speaker, seems to like it.
i love my epi 5W head and my blues jr.

i ended up getting the 5w epi so i can crank it. (and cause its a hundred bucks)
the blues junior is pretty darn loud for bedroom use.

i chose the fender over the traynor 20.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by goingcrazy
danno, i don't think the 5-watter will be enough to play over drums.

which would be better a blues jr. w/ a jekyll and hyde, or a traynor w/ a jekyll and hyde, or the hueghes and kettner w/ no pedal.

i play me blues jnr through a J+H and i LOVE IT!, i have never tried out a traynor so i cant really compare, but the Jnr would get my vote

.....but as jenny said, it is VERY lioud for a bedroom amp, i usually have it on no more that 2 on the master then use the volume knob on my pedal.
......keeping down the underground
yeah, i know the 15 watts is going to be loud...so i've considered getting either a traynor 20 or blues jr. w/ a jekyll & hyde, and a weber mini mass attenuator...i really hope i can get a chance to play the traynor though, i'm going to a bigger city (raleigh, nc) next weekend and i'm gonna try to find somewhere that carries it. thanks for all the help
^There won't be much point in getting an attenuator for such a small amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I'd definetly get the H&K, 'tis a superb amp, even better with a Tubescreamer.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.