I don't know if I'm just a very bad guitar player or is some of Bob Dylans early acoustic stuff really hard to play? I have just played the guitar for 10 months but I really want to learn how to play like Bob on albums like his self-named album or The Freewheelin'. With this thread I would like to get some tips on how to practice to learn this guitar playing style or, if you would like to, maybe just some general discussion about it.

When I first heard these songs I thought they sound pretty easy to play but I was so wrong. My biggest problem is keeping up the strumming pace and at the same time spice up the strumming by hitting single strings. Take Highway 51 Blues for example, I can handle the basic riff but when it comes to hitting those single strings and meanwhile keeping up the strumming pace it all falls down. I very often hit the wrong string or I hit two strings instead of one and I can just forget about keeping up the strumming pace. Any suggestions on how to best deal with this problem? And by the way, in the example of Highway 51 Blues, is it best to hit the single strings with your pick or fingers?
dude, this song is really easy, even if you been playing for only 10 months,it took me less than 3 minutes to learn it, from the tab on this site
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
I don't think it's very easy to play. To get the timing perfect, and the exact sound, as well as worrying about singing too, it's not that easy...
Quote by kurt_isnot_dead
dude, this song is really easy, even if you been playing for only 10 months,it took me less than 3 minutes to learn it, from the tab on this site

Ok, well, I think it's very hard. :p I use the tab on Dylanchords wich I think is a bit more accurate. I don't consider myself a bad player for 10 months practice though. I mean, I can play barre chords and I have absolutely no problem switching between the "easy" chords.

How do you perform the fill ins? Do you use a pick? And by the way, have you really listened carefully to the song? Dylan is really fast, I don't undestand how he does it.
Maybe he fingerpicks? or has a thumb pick to do the bass notes and his fingers to do the melody
He definately fingerpicks the song, maybe I should've said that in my earlier post. It doesn't SOUND fingerpicked, exactly, but he talks about it in Chronicles a little bit. He had long fingernails on his right hand though, so that kinda helps.

Just grow your fingernails and you'll be fine! (You can quote me on that!)
Quote by Rubin Remus
He definately fingerpicks the song, maybe I should've said that in my earlier post. It doesn't SOUND fingerpicked, exactly, but he talks about it in Chronicles a little bit. He had long fingernails on his right hand though, so that kinda helps.

Just grow your fingernails and you'll be fine! (You can quote me on that!)

Thanks for the tip. I have tried to do everything with a pick but I guess I'll have to release the pick and fingerpick the song and strum with my thumb, and maybe grow some nails. I have seen some devices in a music store that you can put on your fingers instead of growing nails though.
I know the things you mean, but I hate them. I bought some and they just don't feel right. It's harder to judge the distance. I didn't give them much of a chance, but, nah, I didn't like 'em. I'd email them to you if I could!

Best of luck with your Dylanating.
Quote by Rubin Remus
I know the things you mean, but I hate them. I bought some and they just don't feel right. It's harder to judge the distance. I didn't give them much of a chance, but, nah, I didn't like 'em. I'd email them to you if I could!

Best of luck with your Dylanating.

I guess it's like when I started using a pick, I thought it was much harder to judge the distance then too.

Thanks.