any tips on how I can get my band to take our music seriously? I dont wanna come off as being a jack ass over run by power but its VERY important that they know we NEED to work and I'm not too good with people so I some good pointers
TO DISTURB IS TO PLEASE
I'm not good at confrontation either, but there comes a point where you have to clean house. Maybe decide one member that your closest to, and the mostly likely to work with. You and him evaluate who will work and who wont, and set the guidelines for the others. That is just a worst case scenario for when your in a semi-disjointed band where you're not all the best of friends.
ask your band about how serious they are,

to get your band motivated, you have to work with them to make goals. Have regular practice dates, and discuss a plan for the band. (try to be realistic, a major record deal by the end of month 2 is not realistic), stick to things like, write so many songs, and record a demo, and then find time to prepare for tour. Its definitly not easy, thats the difference between a good band and a bad band. Music is only half of it, its how the band works together.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
i have the same problem...
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
I recently told my bassist to get his arse in gear - didn't feel good at the time but I think it worked. You just need to have a confrontation with them and tell them how you feel.
this is what happened to me, only my drummer quit, then bassist, then the whole band fell apart. Oh well i dont give a **** cause they were all on drugs. Now I'm playing acoustic with another guy and its wonderful.
Quote by --MoRbId--
any tips on how I can get my band to take our music seriously? I dont wanna come off as being a jack ass over run by power but its VERY important that they know we NEED to work and I'm not too good with people so I some good pointers

Do they want to be famous, or be a good proper band.
If they want it, then they'll be serious. If they don't, start a new band. And leave them to jam on their own.
who says you have to be serious about everything? as long as your having fun and sounding good its fine. the red hot chili peppers played their first gigs together as jokes and everyone liked it so much they got popular. now they've been playing some ten or so years and are one of the most popular bands around.
Quote by stringmagician
who says you have to be serious about everything? as long as your having fun and sounding good its fine. the red hot chili peppers played their first gigs together as jokes and everyone liked it so much they got popular. now they've been playing some ten or so years and are one of the most popular bands around.

While that may be true... The band are taking their music seriously enough, their not dedicated writing good songs... it's all good to be a fun band joking around but you still need good songs.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
You need to balance, that's all... you take it too seriously then you'll break, not serious enough and it'll never take form. Set some serious guidelines, but have fun aside from that. The intensity of a band's focus is also determined by what your producing. I had the same problem for awhile, but I wrote this one song and it seemed to grab their attention. Now I'm getting equal focus and energy from the other two members and it's great, now we just need to find a singer (which has been nothing short of hilarious). But, the point is that we're a gang now, all in, or nothing at all.
Yea, I sorta had the same problem. My first band, after about 4 months of trying out hardest to cover green day songs *is ashamed*, all they wanted to do was watch movies. So, we'd have a "Band Practice", play 4 songs twice, then go watch a movie. I knew they weren't serious at all, so about 3 months ago, I just left and found a new band, we already hjave 3 orignials, and we're doing great. The bad part is, those 3 guys were pretty much my best friends, and now they're just being plain asses about it...except the other guitarist, he's pretty cool...but the other 2 are just being asses, and it pisses me off. "Apparently", the 'band' was the only reason we were friends...

So if you know that they wont get serious, leave, find a really serious band, who are willing to get together once a week, preferably twice a week, and jam for 5 or 6 hours.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Ok thats a good idea...except in my situation, if i did that i would be goin solo. There is no other drummer or singer that even matches the 2 people in my band so for the starter of the topic: he/she coudl have the same problem. What then?
Quote by stringmagician

chili peppers started out in 1983 dude...