hey guys I know how to figure out what chords go in what key but im bit confuised on a few things...

when some one says lets play in the key of C can you just play like a 12 bar blues sorta thing and play any notes in the key of C and it will sound good?? or do you have to know the chords before you start playing. i know thats a little bit confuising but if someone could help that would be great thnaks
Hey
A minor scales and C major scales will work. Assuming that you are playing 12 bar in a major key (Yes, I've heard 12 bar in a minor key)
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at May 28, 2006,
essentially yes, any notes in the key of c should work
however, must players are used to minor keys
so u say key of c, if u focus on the key of Aminor (which is C) it may sound more "correct"
Quote by poochy
E minor scales and C major scales will work. Assuming that you are playing 12 bar in a major key (Yes, I've heard 12 bar in a minor key)

Hiya Poochy!

It depends if your playing a C7 or just a C chord at the time. If You are playing the C7/F7/G7 12 bar blues, Your best bet would be to just do the A minor penta. If if you know what chord your playing at the time, play the respective minor pentatonic, the minor 3rd playing over the dominant chord can sound really cool, especially if you take that minor 3rd and slide it up to the major 3rd. If you're playing the minor blues scale, makes for a really nice chromatic run.

Example:

C7
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------8--10b12b10-8------
------------8-10----------------------8 10----------------------10--
-------6/7--------------6-7-8-9-10---------------------------------
---8-------------------------------------------------------------------

(that was made up without a guitar in hand, just using what I said)
Quote by poochy
E minor scales and C major scales will work. Assuming that you are playing 12 bar in a major key (Yes, I've heard 12 bar in a minor key)

A minor, not E minor. Basically, key of C means that you're using notes from the C major scale over chords that are in the key of C. however, don't just be an ignorant douche and run up and down the C scale randomly and think that any note will sound fine. i hate when people say they're "soloing over the chords", because the chords are supposed to bring out your melody. but for your purposes, i'll just tell you that on a certain chord, it makes sense to hit a few notes that are in that chord. like, emphasize an E over a C chord because in is in the C chord (C E G). And to find the chords in a key, there is a chord for each of the notes in that key, in this order

I major chord
ii minor chord
iii min
IV maj
V maj
vi min
vii diminished

but a lot of the time, people just use the I, IV, and V chords because between those three you can find all the notes of the major scale.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Also common over a major blues progression in C would be the C blues scale.

-SD

Check my previous post, I gave what I think might be an accurate example.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Hiya Poochy!

It depends if your playing a C7 or just a C chord at the time. If You are playing the C7/F7/G7 12 bar blues, Your best bet would be to just do the A minor penta. If if you know what chord your playing at the time, play the respective minor pentatonic, the minor 3rd playing over the dominant chord can sound really cool, especially if you take that minor 3rd and slide it up to the major 3rd. If you're playing the minor blues scale, makes for a really nice chromatic run.

Actually, "best bet" would most definitely (I hate to make this an objective issue) C minor pentatonic... if you played A minor pentatonic over 12-bar blues in C, it would sound a little goofy. Yes, it works and is in key, but nobody really does that over 12-bar blues. 9 out of 10 players would play C min pent, so I think "best bet" can suffice for "9 out of 10."

And rarely do they change scales when the chord changes, although I like that approach... adds in some nice color depending on context.

Let us all be reminded that 12-bar blues has ALL chords dominant, unless otherwise arranged/stated. Dominant 7ths are implied, whether you believe it or not.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
And rarely do they change scales when the chord changes, although I like that approach... adds in some nice color depending on context.

Yes, a jazzblues

Everytime I play a blues I just mix scales however I like! I mostly use the mixolydian over the underlying chord (Cmixo over C7, Fmixo over F7, Gmixo over G7) though. Sometimes I mix it up with the Cmin blues scale, but the notes I pick from those scale are mostly chromatic runs.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
A minor, not E minor.

Typo! sorry... I realized that first thing when I came to this thread again.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.