5/28/06 Edit: This has now become a full-blown project. Updates on it shall follow.

My plan is to strip down my 5 string bass, carve a design into it, then repainting the body black. The only thing is, i don't know how exactly i'd go about it.

-Should i sand down the current finish/paint to the wood then paint, or paint over the existing paint/finish?

-When i'm done with painting the color, what do i need to protect the body? Clear lacquer?

-To remove the electronics, i need to desolder wires, correct? Since my spot for electronics is rather small, and the wires are not long enough to move out of the way for desoldering, would it be possible to remove those wires completely and get new wire?

-How will i know to connect all the pots later?

-Would it be easier to get new pickups? I'd rather that anyway, because, since it's a Rouge POS, the pickups are terrible. I think it would be better because then i'd have a different schematic, but i know it'd work, whereas, with the currect electronics, it'd be guess-and-check.

Thanks in advance! I know i have a handful of questions, so i also apologize.
Last edited by PenumbralFigure at May 28, 2006,
^Though, i agree PG.com usually is good, i found nothing that was helpful there. I'll try reranch.com though.
1) sand off, then paint

2)clear lacquer works best

3)your best shot is just de-soldering the pickup wires, and mabe your jack depending on if it can be unscrewed and removed backwards through the electronics cavity, and then pulling the rest straight out of the cavity intact. and you don't have to do your soldering in the cavity, unscrew all the pots and switches, and pull it out as much as you can without breaking anything so you have room to work.

4)wiring diagrams, or just leave them connected (which is what i've done)

5)don't know why it would be easier to get new pickups, it would be about the same as if you kept the originals, but feel free to go for it. and if you want a schematic, you don't need to buy pickups, there are several places to get them on the internet. if you can't find the diagram, tell me the electronics setup and i'll see wether i can do it myself, be sure to look at www.guitarelectronics.com though, they have most common diagrams, and several rather odd ones.

EDIT: my other car is a puma
Thanks TST. If i left the pickups and pots connected, i don't think i'd be able to remove them from the body. It would make sanding the body to the wood much easier.

BTW, it's not pink, it's lightish red.
haha, excellent, and i was saying to only de-solder the pickups, remove them through the face of the guitar, and the rest pulls straight out the electronics cavity (rear-routed i presume). leave the pots and switches connected, except for where the pickups directly connect to something. then you can either remember where it went, or label.

that gets everything out of your way.
Cool.

UGH i really want a five string bass.

Quick Grips rule.

What kind of design are you carving into it?
^ I'd suggest getting a 6 string. I love mine to death. Technically, i can't, because it's an inanimate object, but you understand. For the design i'm thinking either roses entwined, or a snake that runs along the whole body. Either way, it'll take up a lot of the body.

Edit: After thinking about it, i may do a wavy staff (bass clef, of course ) with random notes on it.
Last edited by PenumbralFigure at May 28, 2006,
your bass has a cool body shape, with the long and short horn. looking good so far. and i gota ask, what is so special about a 6 string, i want to make one but cant get hold of playing one and i dont want to hate it once i make it
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
^ Thanks! I like the body shape, also. What i find special about a 6 string is the added range of notes. Also, i guess i have a thing for added (some may say unnecessary) strings. I want to play one of Jean Baudin's 11 string basses so bad. It would be so badass to have one of them. I highly suggest finding a way to get ahold of a 6 string before buying/making one. If you play on a 4 string currently, it'll be a difficult switch, and you may not like it at first. If you're on a 5, it'll be easy to switch to a 6. I started on a 5, and before i bought my 5 i used my friend's 4 string for a while so i know what the change is like. If you're using a 4 right now, try to get ahold of a 5 if you can't find a 6. It'll be weird at first, but after a while, you'll get used to the low B. There is always a chance that you won't, though. Not everything is made for everyone.

Edit: BTW, just checked your customization thread, and i gotta say, you're doing a mighty fine job, whether you say you have little knowledge or not.
Last edited by PenumbralFigure at May 29, 2006,
what ARE those shiny things?
MEMBER OF THE UGERS FOR AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE

Member Number 12 of the Iron Maiden are Gods Club. PM Revelations to Join

Sergeant Simmons of the KISS Army: UG Regiment PM Sloopy to join

Member of the "I Remember Old Nickelodeon Club"
Quote by Nikki Sixx
what ARE those shiny things?

Check the comment of the next picture. (Psst. They're frets. )
Quote by twelvestringtex
ah, dang forgot the comment, but i'm pretty sure you just made yourself fretless!!!!

I, indeed, made it fretless. Quite happy with the results thus far. Just waiting for the coat of varnish to dry.
Quote by twelvestringtex
most excellent, what'd you rub into the frets?

Wood filler. I made it rather messy, but it sanded out fine.
Hmm. Do you think this would work with a six string electric? I've seen a lot of fretless basses, but not a whole lot of regular guitars. I wonder what it would be like. Because I have a strat that I'm re-doing. Good job on your project. I have to ask though, WTF was that Axe sticker doing on your guitar?! Haha. Would wood filler word for going fretless? I would think that it would be too soft, but I dunno.

Cheers, Dave
Quote by Rocknificent
Hmm. Do you think this would work with a six string electric? I've seen a lot of fretless basses, but not a whole lot of regular guitars. I wonder what it would be like. Because I have a strat that I'm re-doing. Good job on your project. I have to ask though, WTF was that Axe sticker doing on your guitar?! Haha. Would wood filler word for going fretless? I would think that it would be too soft, but I dunno.

Cheers, Dave

I made my neck fretless (pictures in webshots) and used wood filler to fill in the spots of missing frets. I let it dry (actually, forgot about it) for 12 hours (truthfully, more). The Axe sticker was from a bottle of Axe body wash. I like peeling stickers off things, and peeled that sticker off, and slapped it over the "Rouge" logo on the original paint job.

Personally, i don't see a reason for a fretless guitar (not counting blues). Though, this could just be me.
There are fretless guitars around, but flatwound strings are hard to come by if you dont' know where to look.

Btw, the bass is looking nice
^ Thanks! Also, looking back, i think it's kinda funny that i dislike the idea of a fretless guitar, but i like spacey/atmospheric music like Pink Floyd.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
hey man, looking nice! so i take it your just going to use the wood filler to the gaps, i wish i done that, it would have been so much easier lol. what are u using to protect the neck?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Quote by lespaulmarshall
hey man, looking nice! so i take it your just going to use the wood filler to the gaps, i wish i done that, it would have been so much easier lol. what are u using to protect the neck?

I used a heavy coat of varnish. I followed Minibass's tutorial, along with some random info on the web.

Tomorrow, i'ma get to painting the body. No carving, because my idea was way too complicated.

Quote by Fast_Bear
Got a coat of black put on today. Yesterday, i discovered terrible news about a friend. She'll be in the hospital a few days, but in the end she'll be okay, as far as i know. Also, no pictures. Camera = dead. Pictures tomorrow after second coat.

Quote by Fast_Bear
I hope shes ok!
Your bass is looking good keep up the good work!
Epi 57 lespaul Goldtop
60's Vintage Kay
Jim Dunlop Wah
Crate VTX200S
Sorry for the lack of updates. I don't think it'd be too interesting to hear, "Added a coat, [Picture that looks the same as previous]" anyway. So, here you go!

BTW, my friend is fine and was back in school yesterday.

Quote by Fast_Bear
Quote by twelvestringtex
not bad, looks like it could be a little smoother (or is this what you aimed for?) the bass clef was a nice touch!

Thanks! I was going for a bit of a cleaner look than what it turned out to be, but overall i'm okay with it.

Quote by Fast_Bear
Hey I didnt konw this was finished.....

It turned out pretty good man, and as Tex said, that clear does look a little rough. And with the bass clef did u just use a cut out; like a stencil? It looks a bit dodge IMO
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
Lespaul: I used thin cardboard to make a stencil. My mom had a box from buying dogfood, and it was really thin and worked pretty good. Though, being cardboard, i couldn't get the bass clef exactly circular. Admittedly, i could've done some more work after the last clear coat (ie. adding layers, sanding smooth afterwards). As a side note, i finished this a while ago, and i still haven't gone out to get strings for it.

lppon: Your wish is my command I'll have them in a little while.

Quote by Fast_Bear
Last edited by PenumbralFigure at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by PenumbralFigure
lppon: Your wish is my command I'll have them in a little while.

Cool!

BTW, you can link your pics directly to this thread ... for the lazy sacks who don't click on the gallery link