what exactly is a baritone i saw one in a guitarworld magazine but have never figured out what it is?
Longer scale, tuned to B standard. In music, baritone is between treble and bass, like a viola is a "baritone violin" because its between a violin and a cello, except there is not "bass guitar".
a baritone is a low brass instrument, close range to that of a tuba. baritone is also a term applied to other instruments, such as baritone sax and baritone guitar. just means it has a lower range.
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
Quote by MastaBassist10
except there is not "bass guitar".

actually..ummm.. technically there is...
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
also the baritone is more of a cello than a viola
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by SlipAway
actually..ummm.. technically there is...

No there isn't, shut up. A bass is tuned differently than a guitar. Stop talking out your ass.
Quote by MastaBassist10
No there isn't, shut up. A bass is tuned differently than a guitar. Stop talking out your ass.

*smack*

a bass is tuned the same as a guitar, just two octives below.
....not even going to comment on the retartedness of you guys.
A baritone is normally tuned down to B, and has a scale ~27". Like previously mentioned, it is between a bass and guitar.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
Like previously mentioned, it is between a bass and guitar.

not really, a baritone is more like a lower tuned guitar with a longer scale. now this is between a bass and a guitar. its one octive below a guitar, but one octive above a bass, right in the middle.
A baritone guitar is a guitar with a longer scale and therefore has more tension so it is usually used for dropped tunings.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by lp_dude_2
*smack*

one octave below not two
Quote by azn_guitarist25
one octave below not two

no it is two. a normal guitar is usually 24.75" or 25.5" scale in standard E, schecter makes a guitar with a 30" scale that is one octive below a normal guitar, and where as a bass is usually a 34" or 35" scale and two octives below.
Have you played a bass? its definately one octave.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by lp_dude_2
*smack*

Yeah, cause a guitar is definatly tuned EADGCF. A bass comes from a large upright instrument that you (usually) stand up to play, whereas a guitar comes from a small instrument that you play in your lap. Get your head out of your ass as well.

EDIT: And that Hellcat is either a baritone, or a guitar tuned one ocvate down, which is still not a bass. Also, two octaves below a guitar is almost in audible, its usually only used to thicken up a bass tone (you can get the effect in a stompbox).
Last edited by MastaBassist10 at May 28, 2006,
ok on your bass play on the low e string play the e up one octave so it would be at the 12th fret, while on your guitar play your low e string they should both sound the same