Hello,

I got a bass about a year ago because my friends told me it was a lot better then guitar, so I figured I would give it a try. So after about two weeks, I started playing bass like a guitar. Well now I have the chance to get an electric guitar. My price range is from 100-200.00 . I already have an amp that came with my bass (Can I still use that with a guitar?). And unfortunately we don?t have that many music stores around where I live, actually, we only have one. Pro Music and Sound. They sell a guitar pack for 200.00 (A squire I believe) but my guitarist friend who has been playing for forever and a day say?s they are sh*ty. I am basically trying to find a good guitar to learn basic stuff, and also learn some metal and hard rock. I already have two pedals, a digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal and a Digitech BP90. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
you might want to spend a little more

you will regret it if you only spend 200 max. if i were you, i would look into standard telecaster/stratocaster (arround 370-420 bucks)

very good guitars, and great for just starting out and not knowing what you specifically want.
Dillion Les Paul Goldtop Copy (seymore duncan soapbars)
Toneworks AX3000G guitar processor
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack
Squier Stratocaster (backup)
Peavey StudioPro 50
Fender Frontman 15
CarloRobelli Acoustic
Early 70's Carlos acoustic
Get the Squier '51. Its only like $150 and its supposed to be great. http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51

^--This guy is pretty awsome at the guitar and he seems to love and recommend this guitar to advanced players. He has a bunch of guitars and he says that this one is one of his favorites. He has some sound and video clips you can check out too.
yea u can use a bass amp with a guitar, it sound svery old skool punk, but not very good for anything high quality or anything like that
umm go to a pawn shop or ebay and buy a good guitar for 200
(dont ever get a squier)
what kinda music you into?
Save up about $100 dollars more and you will not regret it, you can get an Agile Guitar and a good amp for around $300. Here are some good choices on guitars and amps, don't use the bass amp because it will suck on a guitar.
Amps-
Roland Mirocube
Vox Valvetronix
Guitars-
SX Strat
Al-2000(black)
AL-2000 (HSB)
Dean Vendetta
SG Special
Dean ML
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by Aftter-Forever
yea u can use a bass amp with a guitar, it sound svery old skool punk, but not very good for anything high quality or anything like that
umm go to a pawn shop or ebay and buy a good guitar for 200
(dont ever get a squier)
what kinda music you into?

Well I plan on playing some Marilyn Manson, then upgrading to Cradle of Filth and some In Flames solos/openings.

Thanks for the advice though.
Well my girlfriend is buying it for my birthday (Actually a very early birthday present) so she's the one who set the price limit.
Wow. Ouch.

I'd feel terrible asking my GF for $200...

Anyway, Agile's your brand.
For around 200$, you could get a low-end Dean, they're generally decent for heavyish/riffy stuff like MM and In Flames, in my experience at least. A strat will blow for that, most Fenders will.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Well I just found a nice package, a Behringer V-Tone II guitar package which the reviews say it's a good guitar for beginners, and my best friend said so also. I plan on buying a Digitech RP50 with that and changing the behringer strings to Fender super bullets light guage. Sounds good?

And thank's to all of the help you have provided, I will keep those guitars you have recommended in mind
i recommend going down to a guitar shop or something and trying out some low priced guitars. Don't just go off reviews and comments from friends. Would you buy a car or a house that way? what might look and feel good to someone else might not look and feel good to you. ^_^
"If my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair."
-Led Zeppelin

Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
epiphone LP or SG special II pack..about 250 new. its awesome. it really is. it doesnt sound like a real cheap thing either. i play metal like crazy with it. its pretty sweet. i love it.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
oh and behringer is so bad b/c they explode. ^3
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Actually I called Guitar World and they said that the SG special was a lot better then the V-tone, so I guess I shall buy that. Thanks for all of the advice
Roland Cube 30's are good amps for just starting off. They have some crazy features that I love using.
Quote by musicmyrock
Roland Cube 30's are good amps for just starting off. They have some crazy features that I love using.

Thanks, I shall keep that in mind when I get some more money
SChecter Omen 6, $300, it will last u for ever, Excellent guitar, i still play on mine!!!
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Not to be mean but if you read through his gf is buying it for him and the price limit is 200 bucks

and he seems to have already made a decision...
Quote by rps13fanatic
I know Fallout Boy does alot of stuff on stage, but sound good is not one of them.
just offering some more options incase he changes his mind
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
You could run into through the distortion pedal and into the amp for now.....save some money, and then buy a roland cube or vox valvetronix. It will be a great upgrade for you.

yeah. thats what im doing till i get a good amp. it sounds good enough.
I think the Squier is a great learning guitar. There's a lot of flaws in it, but it is cheap so you can get to know it and guitars in general, see if you like them before you spend a lot of money on one. If you don't want the Squier, I'd take a look into an Ibanez starter pack, that should be good.
Quote by NocturnalGod
Hello,

I got a bass about a year ago because my friends told me it was a lot better then guitar, so I figured I would give it a try. So after about two weeks, I started playing bass like a guitar. Well now I have the chance to get an electric guitar. My price range is from 100-200.00 . I already have an amp that came with my bass (Can I still use that with a guitar?). And unfortunately we don?t have that many music stores around where I live, actually, we only have one. Pro Music and Sound. They sell a guitar pack for 200.00 (A squire I believe) but my guitarist friend who has been playing for forever and a day say?s they are sh*ty. I am basically trying to find a good guitar to learn basic stuff, and also learn some metal and hard rock. I already have two pedals, a digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal and a Digitech BP90. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Your friend is a ****face. Squiers are excellent starting guitars. I can imagine him telling you to get Les Paul Supremes or PRS Custom 22 with... you get my point. Basically, try purchase something from either Fender, Gibson, PRS, Schecter, Yamaha etc. in your price range. The mistake would be buying from "Ion", "First start", "Austin" or "Flower", sometimes "Nevada" guitars. If you ask and people go "huh?" to the name, skip that guitar.