Page 1 of 2
I have been reasearching and trying guitars for a long time and Ive come down to two guitars: A Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Stratocaster. The only problem is that I dont know which one to get. They have their pros and cons. I play metal, hard rock, classic rock, prog, blues, funk, and a bit of country and jazz. Which should I get? I like them both very much. Please help.

Thanks in advanced
wow.....how many times has this thread been done.....anyways, even though im a gibson fan i would pick fender because you can get any sound you want out of them.
buy both
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Quote by GuitarManiac09
wow.....how many times has this thread been done.....anyways, even though im a gibson fan i would pick fender because you can get any sound you want out of them.

its actually really hard to get a good metal sound

to thread starter: um..... what kind of amp do you have
if you have a god one you can get a pretty good metal sound from a fender, but not great
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by GuitarManiac09

Ya GuitarManiac is right I second that motion.
if you got the money for a LP i say get a PRS, you can get the great thick tones of a LP and it has the ability to do good strat tones. Specifically the McCarty is very good at this. You'll get the best of both worlds.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Get a fender. Cheaper, Better and easier to play. Gibsons are very over rated... but you should really try a bunch of guitars out in the store BEFORE you buy one. Online stores can be unreliable at times, and no two guitars are 100% replicas anyway.
Gibsons are better than Fenders in every single aspect. Most importantly they have humbucker pickups which are way better than single coils because single coils don't reduce noise. They're made of higher quality materials and are better constructed. They're also much better aesthetically, they like like actual guitars whereas Stratocasters are butt ugly. And since half the guitars produced in the world are stratocasters or rip offs of stratocasters, you'll stand out a little better.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
ufossuck this stuff is completely subjective
to me, les pauls are butt ugly, SG's don't look bad and Strats are damn sexy
i think it depends on how your going to use it... i personaly have both and i use the strat more for when im going for an out of phase sound with the middle single coil or when i want to do the hendrix toggle switch thing. I think the gibson creates a much warmer sound than the singlecoils from the strat...so its really what you want more
You're kidding, right? A good Gibson is about $1200. A good Fender is $400-$900. If you're spending that much you should at least know what the **** you're looking at buying. Pick out models. Try some out. Use common sense.

Also read the rules. Vs. threads are a no-no.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I hate Les Pauls. They disgust me. They're expensive, ugly looking and hard to play. The neck is like a baseball bat and you can't access the higher frets.

Les Pauls = overpriced and overrated

Then again, Stratocasters... Very comfortable to play, and a lot more versatile. And for the guy, who said you can't get a metal sound out of Fender: Bull****. Swap in DiMarzio pickups and you have better metal guitar than any LP will never be.
Quote by Stratwizard
I hate Les Pauls. They disgust me. They're expensive, ugly looking and hard to play. The neck is like a baseball bat and you can't access the higher frets.

Les Pauls = overpriced and overrated

Then again, Stratocasters... Very comfortable to play, and a lot more versatile. And for the guy, who said you can't get a metal sound out of Fender: Bull****. Swap in DiMarzio pickups and you have better metal guitar than any LP will never be.
^ What he said.
stratocasters are gay, and are overrated also. I think even Ibanez pwnz Fender in all ways.

Gibson all the way, but seriously, get both buy one, and than buy the next one later in the year.

If not get a PRS.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Try them out, decide yourself, that's the only way you'll decide, they're completely different guitars, each one is great at what it does, but one guitar can't do the other.

And, it depends what Fenders, and which Gibsons you're looking at.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Hmmmmm....i do agree Gibson Les Pauls are hidiously overrated and overpriced. however theyre not BAD as such.

If i were you, id get a decent Fender, as the others said, much easier going, versatile, lighter, easier to fix if something goes wrong, less expensive, easily replaceable pups, they look like sex , world renownd for quality, any sound can be produced from a Srat.

EDIT: Really Les Pauls are a bit to narrow for what you want, and they are a rip off. The only reason so many people idolise them is because people like BilleJoe and Slash use them, which is fine but it makes people think there the dogs b*llocks which they are'nt.
if u are into your metal...and will play it alot...dont go for the fender strat...its pretty difficult to get a decent metal sound out of it..

but if its just gonna be a thing to play every now and then..id say go with the fender...i hate strats full stop...i dont like the sound, the weight of em, they play alright tho...

buts thats why i got a les paul...it was the best sound for what i wanted...meaty heavyish rock sounds, with awesome tone for solos...

but im also getting more into stuff like radiohead, n lighter stuff like that...thats why im looking into getting a telecaster now
ok i have a fender strat hss, it is the most versatile guitar you can get. I play blues,to jazz to metal, and it handels everything perfectly. gibsons lps are nice, but waaayy over priced and overrated. to ufossuck, the hell are you talking bout?! better materials?, gibson's materials nowadays are much cheaper then fenders, and with my srat there is no noise from the pups, theyre beautiful, and if you want you can still change the humbucker in it for a dimarzio or seymor duncan, also the if your gonna play metal, the gibsons neck is a boat, it IS possible to shred on an lp but not very easy, especially higher up, the strat on the other hand is perfect
[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/Danrk/guitarsig1.jpg[/IMG]
You shouldnt be getting as new guitar if you think strats are for metal...get a gibby,with a 60's neck
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
meh, the 60's neck is thinner, but its still kinda chunky....
Quote by THEunknown1
Get an ibanez... an all around guitar.

he's right you'll get it all with the ibanez,but if you realy want a strat get an hss.
The only goos strat I've ever played is my teachers. It's a 16 year old Clapton strat with Lace Sensors. It's amazing. But when I tried THE EXACT same guitar in the guitarstore it sucked big time, really thin sound. The American strat has a really thin, paperlike, sound. I really can't see why people buy them, but that's just me. 0

The Gibson Les Paul Studio is not even worth trying. It isn't worth the money, but the Classic and Standard series really does sound good. The neck is extremly nice and easy to play IF you have big hands, like I do. If you have small hands and short fingers you woun't be able to do a barre chord.

The Les Paul, in general, have a warm and fat sound. Good for fat cleans and warm smooth overdrive as well as more metalish (??) distortion sounds.

The Fender Stratocaster is good for bright cleans and dirty cleans. I think the strat overdrive is REALLY bad. It lags fatness. The only Fender strat I've tryed with a good overdrive is, as I wrote, my teachers old one.
these threads are so stupid...

how about a apples vs. oranges thread next.

2 totally different guitars made to do 2 totally different things.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1

chill out......... were just talkin guitars.
Quote by jnl
chill out......... were just talkin guitars.

you can't talk guitars when your thread is meant to compare 2 polar opposite guitars.

hense the majority of posts in here being "gibson sucks" or "strats are ugly" or "you can't get a metal sound from a strat" or "i can get a better metal sound outa my strat then a les paul"...etc. etc.

this guys never gonna get a real answer.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
What are LP's good for then? I dont really know, im so bias about Fender because i have one, i know there good rock guitars but WHY arent they good for say blues and jazz?
they're good rock guitars because of their humbuckers and body, that gives them that bassy chunky tone, but they're not great for blues because you cant split the coils like in say strats
Quote by Danrk
they're good rock guitars because of their humbuckers and body, that gives them that bassy chunky tone, but they're not great for blues because you cant split the coils like in say strats

Cant spilt the coils? Wtf??
Why not also look at other Fender guitars Telecasters for example can produce a nice metal sound (as can Strats don't get me wrong) and you can get Teles and Strats with humbucking pickups in them as standard.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Most jazz guitarists I know use a Les Paul.

Ok, its like this.

Les Pauls (Mahogany) have a warmer, chunkier tone, great for just about anything (Blues, Rock, whatever). Set neck, good tuners mean they are good for keeping in tune, and downtuning.

Strats (Fender ones at least) have a brighter tone, and I find, that mostly due to the neck, they dont handle downtuning too well (which is fine for thrash metal, metalcore.. nothing past about D standard, Drop C if you put really thick ass strings on)

Humbuckers sound tighter, more mid and bass based (in general, depends on the pickup model/winding)

Single Coils are not as full, but can still get a great rock sound. They arent as high output, and thus, can usually not match the levels of distortion as a humbucker. Make amazing clean sounds imho (though its split, many believe humbuckers do it better, position 2 strat ftw)

That being said, I love the HSS Strat, It gives a bright, humbucking tone, good for thrash, glam, Metalcore etc. Plus, the singles in it are lower output, so you can adjust the distortion to the humbucker, then switch to a single to get a much cleaner, purer tone. I prefer the alder to the Mahogany/gibson pickups for one main reason, Clarity. Gibson's sound too muddy. (to my ears, once again, I suggest you play both) and I cant hear my own tiny mistakes, and I prefer to perfect my playing.

Paired with a dark amp, it can do any metal tone you like. (Give it a B-52, and your tone will be damn near black, which is good for metalcore, and some general heavy metal).

Finally, stop saying that Gibsons arent for blues, or a certain guitar isnt for metal or whatever. Jimmy Page could pick up a Squier strat and play Black Dog (he used a strat for several songs, and a telecaster for their first album) and SRV (If he were alive) could pick up an Epiphone Special-II and still scream the blues (although with notably worse tone, but only because its crappy wood and pickups).

The sound you get is in the player, I play mostly blues, and people can hear that even when I play metal, just by the way I accent certain notes, and where I chose to bend or vibrato in solos.
LP. les pauls r really versatile.
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
Quote by bonchie1

I agree completely. There's no point in comparing 2 different guitars and leaving it at that, leave your choices open. To tell the truth, for what your playing, I would get an SG Standard, I play very similar music as you and am very happy with my SG.
Page 1 of 2