Edit: Actually, I've been thinking, I might be able to go the hardware/mic route. I can probably afford a good Shure SM57 for micing my amp, but besides that, what would I need? Would I just use the mic and plug it directly into the line in of my soundcard (with a 1/4>1/8 adapter obviously), or would I need some sort of mic preamp?

Keep in mind, I plan to only record bass and guitar, and I plan to use drum loops, etc for backing tracks.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by waylay00 at May 29, 2006,
I've had good experiences with M-Audio, go for that one. I recorded some piano players in a city hall lobby with it once. I put a condenser mic in the grand piano, hooked it up to the M-Audio forgetwhatitscalled that went to my laptop through USB. Since it was single-track piano I recorded it in audacity and it sounded great, plus it took less than 5 minutes to set up.

As for software, I can't help ya. I remember using Cakewalk SONAR back when I used windows, and it was nice. Now I use linux and all my multitrack recording software is FREE! In case you were wondering, I use Ardour for that.
Actually, I've been thinking, I might be able to go the hardware/mic route. I can probably afford a good Shure SM57 for micing my amp, but besides that, what would I need? Would I just use the mic and plug it directly into the line in of my soundcard (with a 1/4>1/8 adapter obviously), or would I need some sort of mic preamp?

Keep in mind, I plan to only record bass and guitar, and I plan to use drum loops, etc for backing tracks.

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
The blackbox isn't exactly designed to be an interface if I recall. What exactly do you plan on doing?
I don't know why I said USB interface. I mean using a modeler type thing to send the signal to the computer, as opposed to micing the amp and then sending it to the computer.

I would go for the ux2,lots more software plugins and stuff bundled with it

P.s. go to the original recordings thread and check some of the work people have done with the ux2,most is really good
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Ditch the whole UX2/BlackBox idea, I'm micing the amp.

Answer these questions -

"Actually, I've been thinking, I might be able to go the hardware/mic route. I can probably afford a good Shure SM57 for micing my amp, but besides that, what would I need? Would I just use the mic and plug it directly into the line in of my soundcard (with a 1/4>1/8 adapter obviously), or would I need some sort of mic preamp?

Keep in mind, I plan to only record bass and guitar, and I plan to use drum loops, etc for backing tracks."

Last edited by waylay00 at May 29, 2006,
^You'll need an interface. Generally the sound card on the computer is pretty crappy, an interface will provide a seperate processor just for audio. You can also try a slot in sound card. It isn't an option for me though, I have a Apple Powerbook laptop, so I use a Presonus Firebox interface.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Ux2 man, its great, it will provide u with exactly wat u need and more!!!
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
What about using my SB Audigy 2 ZS as an interface?