hi all,

I have a new Ibanez RG370DX. Out of the box, the action was so low that when you struck any open string, it buzzed and hardly made a sound. Also, if you struck any string while fretting the first few frets, it did the same thing.

As a temporary fix, I have raised the bridge quite a bit so that the strings no longer buzz. The problem is, now the action is uneven--it's super high on the 24th fret and super low on the first fret. It seems like I need to put some kind of spacer under the nut to make the action even all across.

That doesn't make sense to me though, because I can't figure out why the manufacturer would ship a product that needs a spacer under the nut to even be played with proper action. Any ideas on what could be going on with the action/what I should do to make it even?

thanks
That's how all guitars are. Its always higher over the pickups, and lower at the nut.
Nonono, it is supposed to be that way, at the 1st fret, its lower then the 24th. Its coz the neck is bowed like a banana, its completely normal, dont freak out. As for the action, Ibanez standard factory setup is, 2.0mm above the 12th fretwire at the bass side and 1.5mm above the 12th fretwire at the treble side. And dont try to adjust the bridge so that all the strings are parallel (if you want it that way then go for it), coz the treble side is meant to be lower than the bass side.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
if theres a big difference, there's something wrong with it. my friend had a problem with his guitar like that, its probably a manufacture defect. get it checked out by a professional or something to make sure.
So what, you wanna make it like a dick now... bent depending on models
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I think you'd need to fiddle with the truss rod a bit because the way I see it, the bridge raises more like over the pickups, while the truss rod adjusts the overall action. I might be wrong though.

And don't try to adjust the truss yourself, get the guitar to a pro.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by OneHappyCamper
I think you'd need to fiddle with the truss rod a bit because the way I see it, the bridge raises more like over the pickups, while the truss rod adjusts the overall action. I might be wrong though.

And don't try to adjust the truss yourself, get the guitar to a pro.

Yeah, id agree. dont try adjustin stuff like this unless u are absolutely sure what you are doing
Thanks for the replies.

I know that theres supposed to be a moderate incline in action as the string gets closer to the bridge... but seriously, at the nut side, there is NO clearance between the fret and the string, and on the 24th fret, there's like half a centimeter of clearance. something's wrong. I'll probably have to call the store i bought it from.
Quote by hydar
Thanks for the replies.

I know that theres supposed to be a moderate incline in action as the string gets closer to the bridge... but seriously, at the nut side, there is NO clearance between the fret and the string, and on the 24th fret, there's like half a centimeter of clearance. something's wrong. I'll probably have to call the store i bought it from.

Nah, mines the exact same. its normal.

Edit: as long as you can hear the open E without a buzz, it should be fine.