I must say that was amazing. I loved every bit of it, but you really should finish it up and put the finished product on here. You only get about 1 in 10 or 15 pieces on here that are good and this is definitely one of them. the dueling solos is amazing, awesome job.
Wow I really really like what you've got there so far except two things:
1) The chord that is played on the 1st guitar in staff 40. It just seems to not flow very well, kind of like the sentence I just wrote
2) The instrument that is doing the soloing sounds kind of weird at points. I don't know if that's MIDI, or if that's notes that are off, but Maybe consider looking at that

Besides those 2 very small nitpicks, this is an excellent piece. Please keep going.

Oh and thanks for the crit
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
I have to agree with MadMudgeN about the chord on staff 40. It was just out of place. But, compositionally speaking, this is one of the best pieces I've seen here. This was definately mastery of the awkward steps!
Sounding pretty good so far. Not particularly the instrumentation I would have used, but then again, who am I to say. It has good flow to it, I like how it intensifies with every different section. Keep up the good work!
Dude, that's just brilliant,it's just great to hear something that is so different and not consumer freindly.

None of it sounds cliche or fammiliar and none of it sounds tacky.well done.
Need.New.Sig.
Last edited by slash_620 at Oct 20, 2006,
DarkSonata: A lot of stuff I've posted here is old so hopefully my success rate with new stuff is better than 10%.

MadMudgeN: Two solid points. I've thought about them both. I almost typed that chord out right. It's supposed to be an e sharp half diminished chord which would be borrowed from the parallel major key. Maybe you still won't like it even if I've written it correctly. Does it sound to classically or what? Do you mean the instruments (ocarina) sounds weird when it plays those low notes? I've thought about changing it, but those are the notes I want. I don't know how it'd work out in real life as far as range of the instrument goes.

piquet: Haha, "mastery of the awkward steps."

Phoenix2005: You know, after writing most of it I experimented with different instrumentation using pianos, keyboards, other stringed instruments, distorted guitars, etc. but I always came back to this. What would you use?

slash_620: I like how you put it, "not consumer freindly."

It's looking like this song will be around 4 - 4 1/2 minutes long. I'll probably post my progress to see what you guys think. What do you other people think of the chord at 40? I like it there because it isn't what you expect, it signifies the end of the new stuff for a little while, and it might get repetitive with another A major chord.

Thanks for the helpful comments.
okay im a death metaler ten thousand percent, but i swear on everything unholy that if u do not finish this so that i may hear it i will destroy you and everything u represent... GET TO ****ING WORK!!!
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
very very nice, the only thing that i was unsure of at first like everyone said was the chord at chord 40 but after listening to it a couple of times i started to like it more, definitly gives the piece something different. I thought the instrumentation and arrangement of the piece though was perfect and wouldn't change any of it, espicially like the 2nd bass line you had going on doubling the ocarina then carrying on, i thought that was a nice touch, but yea, very nice song
Here it is. I made this on my hp laptop then listened to it on a dell. It sounded completely different in a bad way. Oh well. See if you like what I've done with it. Make a new thread for this?
Last edited by hthedinga at Jun 25, 2006,
I just had a really bad morning, and this just made me feel much better If only everyone was as good as you
well holy **** for one... and two some of the rhythms were a little awkward and none of the time signatures really flowed all that well. the riffing is phenominal however
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Another great piece hthadinga. It kind of reminded me of that song you hear on alot of movies...the lonely shepard i think it's called...even though it was far more complex than that song. It's very hard to make a relaxing piece that isn't boring, but you succeeded in my opinion. In regard to the instrumentation...I wouldn't change it...it gives the song a unique sound. I'm still waiting for you to top Idle Wing... good luck with that
freaking awesome, how long did it take you to write this, sounds really well made, anyways, post more
Quote by Spark1284
well holy **** for one... and two some of the rhythms were a little awkward and none of the time signatures really flowed all that well. the riffing is phenominal however

the time signatures were on purpose. the whole piece could've been done in 4/4, but i wanted to try something new and create a different sort of mood.

Quote by poopikins
Another great piece hthadinga. It kind of reminded me of that song you hear on alot of movies...the lonely shepard i think it's called...even though it was far more complex than that song. It's very hard to make a relaxing piece that isn't boring, but you succeeded in my opinion. In regard to the instrumentation...I wouldn't change it...it gives the song a unique sound. I'm still waiting for you to top Idle Wing... good luck with that

ha, it's hthedinga. can't say i know that shepard song. that's funny about topping idle wing. i've been doing softer songs lately. maybe i'll write something a little heavier.

Quote by Schecter86
freaking awesome, how long did it take you to write this, sounds really well made, anyways, post more

took quite some time. i couldn't tell you how many hours though. i've got a lot of incomplete songs right now and am not sure which to work on. maybe i'll just start something new.
that was pretty good man. It was time consuming (which isn't always a bad thing ), and well written. Loved The Ocarina. Crit mine?
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
this is pretty original. interesting time signatures too...ooo nice ocarina stuff, great leadoffs into new parts, especially part E

I dont really have any complaints, its a really nice song
I made a few slight changes and now just have that version posted. Should I make a new thread because the song now isn't incomplete? Or could a moderator just delete the "(Incomplete)" part?

wmzbomgzors: thanks. time consuming as in it took a while to listen to?

hauntedinflames: thanks. yeah, there's some 10/8 in there, but i didn't bother to add new lines for it.
very very nice, my only two things i would change, at the beggining where it has two half notes and then an eigth, i would change that to a half-dotted quarter-eight because with or without the metronome it sounds off because thats what is happening, its off beat, i changed it myself and it sounded better
and in and around m81-101 i would work with the dynamics there cause it started making my speakers buzz, i would make some things softer but when you have several loud parts they just sit on each other and don't do anything, like make the rythem a little less, and the rythmetic solo parts a little less, work around with it
very nice piece though
cool#9: thanks for the constructive criticism. the off beat sound is actually intentional. it's not suppose to function as a typical 9/8 with beats on the 1st, 4th, and 7th eight notes. i tried switchting it to the way you suggested. it sounded good in the beginning, but not as good when the next guitar comes in. i don't know if this is a known technique or not, but i tried to have the different guitar parts have distinct lines that had the beginning of notes on different beats. changing the first notes rhythmic value upsets that. i know about the speaker buzzing; mine do that too, but that's just seems to be what happens with midi when you have a lot of parts going at once. i've done a little tweaking with that section and couldn't maybe do more, but i think i'll just try and record it as is, which would alleviate the buzzing problem. it's just a bit hard at the moment recording this while playing along to a metronome : ).
I liked that one. It was very slow and melodic, even if the time was a little crazy. I also liked the bit where you go into the faster 4/4 from the 9/8. Overall, nice. One of the better compositions I've heard on here, definitely.

Would you care to crit mine? I don't know if you have or not. If you have, you can disregard. (I supposed even if you haven't, there's no way I can force you to ...) The links are in my sig.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
That, my friend, is an effing amazing peice of music. I bow before you, oh great songwriter.
Awesome. 9.5/10. Coulda been a ten, except some parts I couldn't hear it, and the ocarina got too loud. Other than that it was amazing.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 24, 2006,
Quote by hthedinga
haha, how did this get a 1 star rating? i'll see what i can do Quik Axe Player. thanks aprescott. clever name. i'll try to get to yours.

What do you mean, trying to kill me? lol