My current guitar is a Yamaha ERG 121. For those who don't know it has a H-S-H set up. I play metal(Dream Theater) and rock(Alter Bridge) and occasionally a bit of GNR. I'm also into guitarists like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. I'm thinking of getting a new pick-up soon. A new guitar is out of the question. So I would appreciate advice on the pick-ups I should get. Humbuckers or single-coils? And what brand? Never upgraded my pick-ups before BTW.
Quote by shredbeyndshred
thanx man you rule hong siah

Quote by Scourge
thanks, Hong Siah... now im gonna have nightmares about my balls being ripped apart while in mid fall from a building window.

#47 member of Alter Bridge Rocks club
#40 member of The Linkin Park Rocks Club
get some seymour duncans, they are good for all of those styles
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
^Which position?
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Quote by Scourge
thanks, Hong Siah... now im gonna have nightmares about my balls being ripped apart while in mid fall from a building window.

EMG active p'ups will give the best metal sound, and gives the good kick to all your note , i got em in my guitar and im crazy about them. the standard is 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck.

and if you into gnr then seymour duncans will give you that great crunch as well ( slash uses Alnico II's)

u can check out the sound of the emg pick ups on: http://www.emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=6

and the duncans on:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/SDToneWizard/hummer.shtml
Quote by Paddles
I feel sorry for the drummer, he gets stuck with a guitarist who can't hold a rhythm to save his life and a vocalist in the middle of a heavy-flow month.
Thanks a lot guys. Looking into those sites now..
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Quote by Scourge

no don't get EMGs, they are brilliant, but for metal only, if you want versatility, go with the duncans, or, if you really want the EMGs, get a 81/60 combination.

Your is H-S-H so you would have to get a single EMG, nah forget it, get seymours
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
Specific models?
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Quote by Scourge

Anyway, what do they mean by output?
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Quote by Scourge

Get a bridge-position Seymour Duncan Full Shred, and a neck-position Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro. For the middle single... I dunno, a DiMarzio Class Of '55?
What sort of sounds for these?

Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro
DiMarzio Class Of '55
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Quote by Scourge

AlIIPro is a low-output, bluesy humbucker, but it's Slash's pickup of choice, too.

Class Of 55 is a typical twangy, vintage-voice Strat pickup.
Hmm, tempting. Thanks.
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Quote by Scourge

Laney MXD 30. Budget should be between 200-250.
Quote by shredbeyndshred

Quote by Scourge

I wouldn't get EMGs. If you want EMGs you need to change everything in your guitar so that the active pups fit. I'd go for a high output humbucker in the bridge and a warm-good-for-cleans humbucker in the neck. The singlecoil is not that important so you can wait a little with that one.