hi, ive been trying to decide what should be my next amp to buy. my first choice wud have been a Vox AC30 with a cooltron brit boost for the distortion, but ive been wondering if there are any other amps (other than marshall) that would be right for me. the kind of sound i want is to have a very 'musical' distortion i.e to have the distortion but to be able to hear every note that i play, oh yeh one more thing - money is no object on this one, im in a working band and hav been putting gig money back from the last 6 months!

cheers, R0ck3rd4z
Hmm, the best thing to do in this situation is to go out and play every amp you can, then you'll get an idea for what you like.

The Vox's cleans and overdriven tones are orgasmic, but you might get the more clear distortion sound better from another type of amp, 'coz Vox's are more for light/mid gain and cleans.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
to be honest ive currently got a mg100 dfx, which u can guess has put me off marshall completely, it does not do my gibson sg any justice at all

r0ck3rd4z
If money doesn't matter, I'd suggest buying a 50watt Orange rockerverb head and a nice speaker cabinet to go with it. Perhaps a Koch Twintone?

But my best piece of advice: Try before you buy!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by R0ck3rd4z
to be honest ive currently got a mg100 dfx, which u can guess has put me off marshall completely, it does not do my gibson sg any justice at all

r0ck3rd4z

Lol... no wonder.

The MG is their sh*ttest amp.

Try looking in to their higher end tube amps.
roar
Marshall's higher end stuff is great, and you should no way relate them to the MG's.

An Orange might be great for you too, try a few out.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
JCM800! cried joel
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I personally love the AC30CC2. Everytime I go to the guitar store to try guitars, I always say that im going to try it with amps that I havent tried yet, but after playing a new amp, I always go right back to the Vox. I love it. You really should try a high end Marshall. I test the guitars that I try in the store with the Vox for clean and a nice overdriven sound, and then with a JCM2000 TSL for the metal and hard overdrive. The JCM2000 is nice, but I like the classic rock overdrive so I would get the JCM800. Try some Hughes and Kettner amps too. They make some really nice tube amps.

1. Vox AC30CC2
2. Marshall JCM800
3. Hughes and Kettner
Quote by elvenkindje
If money doesn't matter, I'd suggest buying a 50watt Orange rockerverb head and a nice speaker cabinet to go with it. Perhaps a Koch Twintone?

But my best piece of advice: Try before you buy!

Yeah x2 orange is great. Go with that if money isnt an object
To be honest an AC30,driven hard with a good humbucker can get some pretty serious gain. I have an old Hagstrom with a mini humbucker that hits a perfect Live At Leeds tone with the channel volume only half way up and the channels blended.
The CC amps have a good amount of gain. If that's not enough for you, two words:
TREBLE BOOSTER.
sounds huge through both channels blended. Roars like hell, very 'musical' distortion, just like you said.