Page 1 of 4
ive been playing about 20 yrs and i think im a pretty good guitar player,but ive seen guys that have been playing 2 yrs that when comes to speed totaly smoke me. so my question is, are they born with it?
they probably practise speed licks non stop, and only learn from troy stetina books. There is a degree of natural talent involved, but with the right practise i like to think most could get there
No, made. Its all about how you practise. how long you practise. And how committed you are. Personally, i don't see the point of getting that good, because i don't like music or solo's that is played so fast.
no, they just practiced alot of speed excercises (i dont belive in natural talent, i belive in big hands, constant practice and perfect pitch)
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Nobody is born with anything. Some people are faster learners than others - that's it. The only thing between you and playing like any shredding legend is whether you have the time to put in hours and hours of good practice.
I'd say, there is no such thing as natural born talent, its something you do for fun. And maybe something that changes your life that really direct and inspire to to play guitar. Take Yngwie Malmsteen and Satch for example. At first, they're just a regular kid, but after Jimi Hendrix died, Satch just quit the football team and concentrate on his guitar more. Same as Yngwie, after Jimi died, he was inspired to look as cool as him.

Its dedication and seriousness. You have to know what you want to achieve and train constantly and properly. Very similar to study smart and not hard, but at guitar, both can do you enormous good.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Speed/shred sucks, pop-punk rocks! It's incrideble how some people masters shredding, but i preffer a good RHCP solo or a nice poppunk tune.
Quote by Yakult
Why are you talking to yourself? Stay off the drugs
Btw, i believe that some people can learn to shred a lot easier than other, they are born with 50% off it, they got to work for the rest 50%. Ppl like you start at 0%. See my point?
Quote by Yakult
Why are you talking to yourself? Stay off the drugs
Quote by guitarforever<3
The moment you start practising speed, and speed only, you lose sight of the point of the guitar IMO.

I know someone who's been playing for 2 years, and I swear he's Jimmy Page. If you don't have it, you can get there but it depends on how you practice and how much time you spend practicing. I have a group of friends who play instruments, and not one of them even practices daily, and this is how it seems for a lot of the musicians I've been running into. Personally I play a lot of guitar every day but it pays off. My fingers fly all over the place now .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
It's like most things, a combination between genetics and environment.

Two people may have identical muscle time response, but one person may be more dedicated.

Dedication is a result of both genetic and environment stimuli.

I would definately suggest there is a genetic component in being able to shred, but having the dedication to practise guitar brings in an ovbious environment factor.
they practice it...but it depends how you view things too, if you dont think you can ever learn to shred, then you wont ever shred...you just have to belieive, how ever gay that sounds...but yeah...im only starting to get into shred now, so i suck balls at it because i used to be all about Sabbath so i solo like Tony Iommi, and thats not always that fast...but i would like to learn how to sound like Paul Gilbert or MArty Friedman...Jason Becker....mmmmm
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

i play like half a year and i can play .. eric clapton,jimmy hendrix,john frusicante stuff ( of course also normal pop/punk/rock songs).. I got very fast by practising pentatonics.. my only weakness is my time-feel :P
by natural talent i meant natural talent to pick things up quicker - some people were born faster learners than others. dont personally see the point in shred, i like a solo with a nice bit of emotion. Wont find a shred solo with emotions
Made, for sure. Any "natural talent" is the talent to pick up something quickly. It happened to me and bass. I've only been playing since September '05, and i can play "Aeroplane" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, but my friend Rob has been playing for something like 2 years and is just now getting the hang of it.
Made. Anyone can become a good guitarist with a lot of practice, it does come more easily to some though. I think they real indication of talent is in being able to write good, original songs as opposed to soloing really fast. Fast solos are great, but anyone can do them with practice.
Quote by RasmusLiebst
Speed/shred sucks, pop-punk rocks! It's incrideble how some people masters shredding, but i preffer a good RHCP solo or a nice poppunk tune.

Quote by slashs_#1_fan
by natural talent i meant natural talent to pick things up quicker - some people were born faster learners than others. dont personally see the point in shred, i like a solo with a nice bit of emotion. Wont find a shred solo with emotions

There can't be emotion in something like a solo.

Shred is definitely something that has to be practiced A LOT to get to the level of shredding well. Steve Vai didn't become so good because he was born with it, he became so good because he played guitar 10 hours a day!
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
I don't think speed and agility on the fretboard are natural talents, but i think the obessive/compulsive personality traits needed to spend 10 hours a day practising certainly are. I believe some other aspects of music are natural, though, like the ability to createnew ideas and really do somethign that has never been done before- people like Hendrix are a great example of this
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
It's both practice and natural talent. Certain people have a disposition for doing certain things well. Look at professional athletes for example. All those guys go through the same training, work out regiments, coaching, etc., and they're all considered the best at their particular sport in the world. But even amongst the best, some are better than others. But it's also a matter of obsession/devotion. To me, playing guitar for 8-10 hours a day is pointless. But I'm not obsessed with the idea of becoming a great guitarist and quite frankly I have other things to do with my time. It's a bit different for some socially awkward 14 year old holed up in his room who believes that his ability to play guitar defines him as a human being and is the only thing that gives his life meaning.
Hi, I'm Peter
Hehe, im that 14 year old kid. Only im really not as much socially akward as uncomfortable around people..
made, definately.
now the world is filled with morons that play 12 hours a day to be able to do tap solos at 30nps. they all lack imagination
thats why i think slash totally owns michael angelo batio or paul gilbert. the people who create good music are the ones with talent, not the ones who are so good because their only life is playing guitar. i hope i dont offend any shred lovers but personally i think the whole "shred" thing is totally rotten.
Doesn't matter if you are faster than the other guy or not. Speed never made any legends. Creativity did.
Quote by Scorzerci

i completely disagree, some solos can really change the mood of a song and the emotions within a song. Take a song like "back and forth again" by slashs snakepit, and the solo really changes how you feel. You can feel it inside when the solo changes, it feels as if something bad has happened, and then slash does fast run up the neck which feels like a struggle to the top, and when the solo ends you feel good. I personally believe it fits a todorovian narrative structure, you can feel the equilibrium, the disequilibrium and its realisation, the struggle to correct it and the re-equilibruim within the solo itself, which is more that what the lyrics to the song can produce..... and people agree with me too, im not just a nutter.

ok thats an exteme example, but solos can have emotion, they can sing. If you listen to the right band. Shredding on the other hand is just a flurry of fast pointless notes
Quote by AmIEvil?
i think slash totally owns michael angelo batio or paul gilbert.

Slash owns MAB
Paul Gilbert totaly pwnz slash

Quote by Scorzerci

Oh yeah? I got two words for you my friend. David Gilmour
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
i completely disagree, some solos can really change the mood of a song and the emotions within a song. Take a song like "back and forth again" by slashs snakepit, and the solo really changes how you feel. You can feel it inside when the solo changes, it feels as if something bad has happened, and then slash does fast run up the neck which feels like a struggle to the top, and when the solo ends you feel good. I personally believe it fits a todorovian narrative structure, you can feel the equilibrium, the disequilibrium and its realisation, the struggle to correct it and the re-equilibruim within the solo itself, which is more that what the lyrics to the song can produce..... and people agree with me too, im not just a nutter.

ok thats an exteme example, but solos can have emotion, they can sing. If you listen to the right band. Shredding on the other hand is just a flurry of fast pointless notes

I think the person you were responding to was being sarcastic.

I dont see whats wrong with playing guitar like 5 hours a day if you really love the guitar and have determination to get better. I know that when I started learning alternate picking, I practised something like 5 hours a day until I got comfortably with it.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
well universally nobody remembers paul gilbert for anything. maybe he sounds better (and does) than most shredders but still slash is an inspiration, pg has only ispired shredders imo.
Quote by The Iron Man
I think the person you were responding to was being sarcastic.

darn it, beaten by my favourite form of wit again...... still, had to get out my narrative structure theory about slash........
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
darn it, beaten by my favourite form of wit again...... still, had to get out my narrative structure theory about slash........

Do you think all of slash's solo's fit in the song perfectly? In the song "dont cry" The solo is great, but I dont know if it goes with the song really well.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Made, ofcourse...

And just a reminder, speed without cleanliness is not speed.

It's random noise.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by The Iron Man
Do you think all of slash's solo's fit in the song perfectly? In the song "dont cry" The solo is great, but I dont know if it goes with the song really well.

the theory was just for the snakepit song - personally i believe its his best work and people go on about how crap slash is have just heard the popular GNR stuff, not this - the popular GNR stuff isnt even the best! ill take "14 years" over "dont cry" anyday

the solo is great and i think it fits, but there is better
IMO very simply:
You can be born with long fingers, which gives certain advantages, but it's mostly "made" by practicing. And then you can also have the "feeling/emotional solo" or the "lets just write a goddamn song!"
[color="Red"][size="3"][B]   ___   __     __        
  / __\ / /    /__\ /\/\  
 / _\  / /    /_\  /    \ 
/ /   / /___ //__ / /\/\ \
\/    \____/ \__/ \/    \/
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Member of "Genital Grinders", the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. "Embodiment" to join.
It's not about speed. It's an instrument that makes music.
Cut My Wrists And Black My Eyes

RIP mxtabs.net
It's made, though of course some people have a slightly better 'start' than others... And please, stop bashing the 'kids with no lives who play guitar 14 hours a day'. How is playing guitar any worse than getting drunk like a pig in a bar?

Seriously, just because someone is more dedicated to an idea than you ever could be, doesn't make them any worse. And trying to put them down just shows how much less of a person you are, so get over yourself.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by Grilled Chez
It's not about speed. It's an instrument that makes music.

Speed helps portray emotion.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
I would consider Knopflers Sultans of Swing a shred solo and its filled with emotion. Or many Eric Johnson solos as well.

Give Roy Clarke a listen as well, filled with "country" emotion, he just F'ing flies with the finger picks on really unbelievable, if he isnt a shredder then what is? Many fingerpicking bluegrass players absolutely floor me also its just no one knows them or can get into the music, I dont like the music but can watch/listen to the guitar/banjo players for hours.

http://www.royclarklimited.com/text/main.htm
All musicians are made, and none are simply 'born with it'.

When it comes to shredding, or speed, or technical ability of any kind, barring physical or mental disability, it's merely a matter of the right amount of the right kind of practice.

On a side note, why is it that, on every message board in the known universe, as soon as the subject of speed, or shredding, or technique comes up, a legion of guitarists chime in to denigrate it? In other fields of music, good technique is not only acceptable, it's completely necessary...the average rock guitarist is musically incompetent compared to those people, and ought to realize it before they start spouting off the usual litany of BS about speed and 'feeling' or 'creativity' somehow being at odds with each other.

The greater your command over the instrument, the greater freedom you have, both in playing AND writing. That means more creativity AND more feeling, not less.
^^Im ordering your Bach books. Are these played and printed by you? very sweet. Classical was something I was gettin into before I had kids and lost the time and $ to continue. But I couldnt find a teacher to learn classical on an electric with a pick like you are doing just finger pick nylon string guys, this sounds like what I had envisioned when searching for a teacher 15 years ago.
Quote by CustomCustom
^^Im ordering your Bach books. Are these played and printed by you? very sweet. Classical was something I was gettin into before I had kids and lost the time and $ to continue. But I couldnt find a teacher to learn classical on an electric with a pick like you are doing just finger pick nylon string guys, this sounds like what I had envisioned when searching for a teacher 15 years ago.

Oh, cool...thank you!

And yes, I play all the stuff in my books, and I create them from start to finish myself (which would probably explain all the gray hairs).
Page 1 of 4